Would THIS help with 5*'s Random Distribution?

tanis3303
tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
Ok, so I just had a thought...
You open that token or spend that CP and see that lovely purple 5* token! Huzzah, happy days!! Its a Black Silver Surfer cover...........and your Silver Surfer is at 0/0/5 already.

icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif TINNNYYYYYYKIIITTTTYYYYYY!!!!!! icon_evil.gificon_evil.gificon_evil.gif

What if, instead of pulling a 5* cover, you just pull A 5*??

Set the odds to something a bit lower even if need be, but if that fancy purple screen pops up, would it help alleviate some of the obnoxious randomness of this game's progression if the next screen that followed the purple 5* screen was a box that let you pick ANY 5* cover you want/need?

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Comments

• cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Would love it, but that would just mean everyone will be running OMLs even more so than now. Random progression is somewhat intentional, I find it hard to believe they would ever make this change.
  • IamTheDanger
    IamTheDanger Posts: 1,093 Chairperson of the Boards
    commandpoints.pngThis thread has been moved to Suggestions and Feedback forum. commandpoints.png

JJ
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    File this under changes that would be great for the players in the short term, but will never happen (like cover trading).

The random rewards extend the length of the game. They make players play longer to finish collecting any given amount of new content. That means that demiurge's limited resources will go further.

Don't expect any sort ofbokayer fiendly change like this until the next new phase of content is in the queue for release (i.e. ddq released shortly before the rate of 4* release really cranked up, 4* ddq released along with 5*s. CP purchases released shortly before championing).

Also, really?! All of these threads need to be moved off the main page now? Mod'ing seems to be a bit over-enthusiastic.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    A 5* would be a little too generous, but a reasonable compromise could be that any maxed colour unlocks subsequent covers of that colour so that your 6th black SS could be used as a blue or red instead.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Implementing this would never happen. The game is structured to imitate logarithmic power growth as much as possible, and making progression linear, even at a rate as low as this suggestion would allow, contradicts the most basic design goal of the game. Also, it doesn't solve the actual problem you're having. Getting to choose any 5* cover wouldn't result in you getting a better SS. It would result in you getting a better OML. It would narrow the metagame even further than it already is, which I hope isn't where any of us want to be.

A better solution would be to just implement a non-random way (ANY non-random way) of distributing covers that actually gives the designers some measure of control over the rampant variance going on.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    They could make it still be random but be a lot more player friendly with just a little bit of programming. Have the system pull 3 random covers. Is the first cover either for a championed character or a non championed character with 4 or less covers applied in that color? If so great, if not then move on and test cover number two. If all three covers fail then you are the victim of RNG and you get a cover you don't want but that is a lot less likely to happen now.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    This problem comes at all star levels. Another option I would appreciate at least would be the chance to reroll that 6th cover for a character you don't have cover maxed.

Heck, I'd even take a chance on it coming back with a lower * cover. I sat on my 6th Green IW cover for 14 days till I finally had to give up on hope that I might pull another 3 covers for her Blue/Yellow so I could use the stupid thing.

Honestly it's really kinda frustrating knowing that I'm coming up in a few weeks on a Blue Prof X cover in the Daily Resupply when mine is sitting at 5/3/4.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    This problem comes at all star levels. Another option I would appreciate at least would be the chance to reroll that 6th cover for a character you don't have cover maxed.
    There's also this suggestion I made a while about, that "went green" with upvotes:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=37571

Basically, let players use an unusable cover pulled in a case like this as another color of the same character.

It would be far less overpowered than giving people their choice of any character in the tier, and far less likely to be disappointing than just a re-roll.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd rather have a pull of a character, with the cover being color-less. You then choose which color to make it. After you champ the character, color is meaningless anyway.

You don't choose color when you pull it, rather when you apply it.

If I'm thinking correctly, the pull odds are solely based on the pool containing the character, not 3 versions of the character, right? The cover color is randomly assigned after the character is pulled?
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,214 Chairperson of the Boards
    JVReal wrote:
    I'd rather have a pull of a character, with the cover being color-less. You then choose which color to make it. After you champ the character, color is meaningless anyway.

You don't choose color when you pull it, rather when you apply it.

If I'm thinking correctly, the pull odds are solely based on the pool containing the character, not 3 versions of the character, right? The cover color is randomly assigned after the character is pulled?

Unless they've changed things, NO. Each color is treated as it's own sperate chance. Back in the way back past, some characters only had 2 covers (Doom, Rags, 2* Bullseye & Daken). When looking at the in game odds for pulling them, it was exactly 2/3 of the % of pulls for any character with 3 colors.