Championing and the Hundred Cover Chase

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
In september 2015 deimurge revealed 5*s and said that once high-covered 5*s were starting to filter down into the player base, 4*s would receive a buff to fill in the massive power gap between tiers.

Championing is apparently that buff, except that it doesn't actually serve that stated purpose (either for 3*s or 4*s). championiong requires dozens and dozens of covers to let lower tier characters approach the level of unboosted characters in the next tier up. How many people have sold more than 75 covers for any given 3*, let alone a 4* in their entire time with this game?

Why is "Just get 100 more covers" and a game balance solution when it currently takes most players several months just to collect 13?

Championing was a fun new mechanic that certainly got people (including me) back into the game. So I can see its value as a pushing out the treadmill and breathing value back into 2* and 3* rewards that lost their luster months ago. But it seems useless as a means of lifting 4*s up to 5* power levels (especially since 5*s can also be championed).

Comments

• grunzadin
    grunzadin Posts: 52 Match Maker
    I think it's naive at this point to consider championing anything other than an outlet for the whales to continue spending cash. It's neat that I now get use out of some covers that used to be sold, but it's also obvious that I won't be max champing any 3*s (let alone 4*s) before I'm done playing this game.

Though in a way, having gargantuan headroom like that is fun because it'll make rosters much more diverse. A few whales will have max champs, but most players will have 3*s and 4*s that are all over the place in terms of level.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    We've had champions for ~7 weeks now?
    I'm free-to-play and have on average 10 3-star champ levels. and my 2 stars are almost done @ 144.

Meh.

Edit: my 4-stars have between 2 and 8 champ levels...that's including the influx of LT with all the championing.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Championing is not the 4* buff. The 4* buff is the nice upswing in power that 4*s get from levels 300-370. Right after that buff came out, Carnage was boosted for the week. My champ Carnage was boosted to level 350 or so, had 28k health and his red did 8800/2800 for 7 AP. That's pretty close to a near-max 5* in power. Remember the bug that caused Hulkbuster to be over-leveled for that 1 PvE? He was level 404 for me and destroyed the entire PvE singlehandedly. Sure, he wasn't supposed to be that high to begin with, but it shows the power of the boosted 4*s now. Couple that with the fact that 4 different 4*s are boosted each week, and you can do a lot of damage with a good 4* roster.

The 2 problems with this are that the match damage for boosted 4*s is still leagues below the 5* tier and that your 4*s have to be maxed or darn close to max to see the real benefits. But a person with 2 boosted 4*s can easily compete in PvP and PvE with most 5* teams.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Orion wrote:
    Championing is not the 4* buff. The 4* buff is the nice upswing in power that 4*s get from levels 300-370. Right after that buff came out, Carnage was boosted for the week. My champ Carnage was boosted to level 350 or so, had 28k health and his red did 8800/2800 for 7 AP. That's pretty close to a near-max 5* in power. Remember the bug that caused Hulkbuster to be over-leveled for that 1 PvE? He was level 404 for me and destroyed the entire PvE singlehandedly. Sure, he wasn't supposed to be that high to begin with, but it shows the power of the boosted 4*s now. Couple that with the fact that 4 different 4*s are boosted each week, and you can do a lot of damage with a good 4* roster.

The 2 problems with this are that the match damage for boosted 4*s is still leagues below the 5* tier and that your 4*s have to be maxed or darn close to max to see the real benefits. But a person with 2 boosted 4*s can easily compete in PvP and PvE with most 5* teams.

I think this is it on the money - boosted 4*s are monsterous right now. The only caveat I'd add is you need to have these boosted 4*s (working on it, myself) and they have to be good. I'll admit, I'm looking at the boosted Ant-man and X-23 teams and thinking "I can take those..."

On the bright side - it makes high middle tier characters a lot more interesting. Carnage, for instance, isn't a bad character, just not as good as IMHB, JG, Rulk, Cyclops, etc. When boosted, though...
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Boosting 4* to compete with 5*... but nerf 3*... ok...