Destroying support cards

Options
This is coming for me playing Chandra, but when I use the
Smash to smithereens and Demolish I should be able to pick the support that I want to destroy.
Does anyone feel the same?

Comments

• loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Saluris wrote:
    This is coming for me playing Chandra, but when I use the
    Smash to smithereens and Demolish I should be able to pick the support that I want to destroy.
    Does anyone feel the same?
    I mean... yes? But it might be too strong that way. And I'd rather keep them at 3 mana than to make them more powerful and cost more.
  • Mikeymike
    Options
    Yes I think you should. You can decide which created to deal direct damage to or which to bounce, why not allow Support selection?
  • loroku
    Options
    Keep in mind there are only 4 cards that destroy supports in the game, although we're really just talking about 1:
    red - 3, smash to smithereens (3 self damage, common)
    red - 3, demolish (+3x3 block destroyed, strictly better than smash, uncommon)
    red - 17, pia and kiran (a rare creature gives you activate 1: destroy your own support to do 5 damage to opponent)
    green - 30, great aurora (mythic that costs an insane 30 mana and kills ALL creatures and supports)

Red has an already amazing and unique ability to completely destroy a single support. We're really just talking about 1 card in the whole game that can do that (since demolish replaces smash; technically you could run both but that's a bit crazy at least in this meta). And if you get lucky on your draw you can get them out before your opponent can stack the board. They're already super-insane fast at just 3 mana, and crazy tempo-efficient since all supports but one cost more than that (second-lowest is 5; most are 8+) - and that's ignoring the cascade potential.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but keep in mind it's already a crazy powerful card considering its uniqueness, especially for an uncommon.
  • You forgot about the 4/4 green creature that also destroys a support. Nonetheless I totally agree that support killers are already very powerful and in my opinion even almost too cheap.

Anybody who thinks they need a buff should play a while without them or with a support deck against them.
  • Yes, but at the same time red deck is all about the control of its destructive power.
    That's why it's supposed to be strong, but instead half the time I waste my demolish for stuff I don't care about while the supports I need to get rid of are still in game ( this especially applies to heroic story mode )
    let's keep in mind that Chandra doesn't have any way of healing herself, and I would rather get rid of a +2/+2 support then one that converts/ feeds mana.
    I honestly would be happy to pay 6 mana if I had the option to choose the support to destroy.
    And loroku you said it yourself, if I get lucky I can destroy the supports before the opponent stacks, but what if I don't? I end up losing most of my life defending myself and once anyone gets the rare +2/+2 and 3x3 block destroy they just start pouring out creatures and spells.
    Luck plays a part in the real MTG and this one, but the game is mostly based on skill and the comprehension of your own deck, I just feel that I should be able to fully control my own cards just as I do in the real MTG.
  • Great Aurora is now 15 mana, not 30.
  • Great aurora: winning any and all storyline and challenge objective matches since February.

If demolish was a select I'd say a fair mana cost would be 6.
  • loroku
    Options
    Thanks for the corrections - I was just using that site that has all the cards as a quick and dirty reference.

Saluris: try playing a deck with both support killers and see if that solves your problems. I thought it was overkill but someone else posted they were doing that. That's a 1/5th chance to draw a support killer every turn. I'd have to think that would solve your problem.