Joining a Quick Battle

Options
raidan
raidan Posts: 128
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I would like to share what I have discovered when it comes to joining quick battles.

When you complete a quick battle event and receive your place and reward, you have to join a new quick battle to be placed into the next bracket.

As some of you are aware, if you wait to join a later bracket, you will be competing with people who also joined late.

I have experimented with this and joined some quick battles early, mid event, and late and here is my personal experience:

Joining Early
* More Runes gained
* Generally more steady scores
* More time investment needed for higher places

This scenario is perfect if you have loads of time to play and would like runes and a higher chance at getting first place.

Joining Mid Game
* About as steady as joining early
* Medium amount of runes
* Medium time invested for placing high

This is probably what I would recommend to most players. It's nice to have 1 or 2 days off for the long events. Also if you can invest enough time in the last day, you can still rank very high, with a good chance at 1st if you play long enough.

Joining Late Game
* Minimal runes
* Very unstable scores
* Highest rank per time spent

Joining late is great if you just don't have the time to play the game very often. It's also very good for spending minimal time for rank 7-16. There are however some big disadvantages to joining late if you're looking to score high.

If you join late, the chances are there are a lot of other players who also joined late and are going to be gunning for first. This creates a situation where you have several players going non stop until the end of the event. But here's the catch: when you join a bracket, you usually end up playing with around 480-500 other players. When joining the later brackets, those brackets are usually established for a while and when you join you help fill up that bracket. Because of this when you join, with say 4 hours left, first place could already have 50-100+ points. 2nd-6th place can also have about 30-80 points. If these are all players who have the same plan to play until the end of the event, you are at a massive disadvantage and it can sometimes be impossible to get 1st, and difficult to get 2nd to 6th. Sometimes you might get lucky and be one of the first players in your bracket, but the odds are against you.

I hope some find this helpful.

Comments

• ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Options
    Excellent post on the pros and cons of joining at different stages icon_e_smile.gif
  • How can you tell how far along the tournament is before you start one? Also, is there any restriction to what level of player you'll be up against? What determines the amount of the match reward (+1, +2, +3, etc). Thanks for the help.
  • Brockzamis wrote:
    How can you tell how far along the tournament is before you start one? Also, is there any restriction to what level of player you'll be up against? What determines the amount of the match reward (+1, +2, +3, etc). Thanks for the help.

The QB Events always end and start at the same time on 3 days a week. For me in Germany it's at 3 am on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. If you are living in the states I think it will be at late afternoon on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. If you wanna know the exact time, just go to QB in-game and it will tell you when it will end if the left time is less than 24 hours.

Also you will run into PWs that are +- 5 levels of your level.

The ribbons that you earn per win are based on your level:
    1-19=1 ribbon
    20-29=2 ribbons
    30-39=3 ribbons
    40-49=4 ribbons
    50=5 ribbons