No one hits cupcakes?

BlackBoltRocks
BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So in the Heavy Metal PvP, my slice just ended. 24 hours ago i hit my target of 810 points. I got that with a cupcake team of

Loaner IM40 lv145 at 1/1/1
Xpool lv120 at 2/1/1
Teen Jean lv120 at 1/1/4

Hardly the most threatening team, yea? So 24 hours ago i bought the 24hr shield, since i wasnt interested in hitting 1000. Well, like i said, my slice just ended, and i got attacked precisely zero times. ZERO.

I mourn for the fact that i wasted 300HP icon_cry.gif

Comments

• When you shield people can no longer queue you. So not getting hit just means that everyone that had you in their queue when you shielded found a better target. If you hadn't shielded people would have found you and attacked you.
  • People can't find you when you're shielded. The only people who could have hit you are from retaliations or people who had you queued before your climb/shield.

Edit: Someone beat me to it.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    That means people queue'd your cc before you shielded and then hit you at their convenience, later on.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    lol

So two things happend.

24 hrs ago, the majority of players are only casually climbing or working with specific people to climb. most people don't go out of their way at that time to snipe.

With 8hrs left, everyone needs to climb and will hit anything that moves.

If you had not put up that 24hr shield, you would have gotten 40 hits from guys who see that your floating with a loaner level team and decided to take a quick snack.

buying shields is just like making bets in holdem poker. Once you've commited resources into the middle, they are gone and the only thing your thinking about is how those shields are helping you avoid the zombie horde.
  • Ludaa
    Ludaa Posts: 542
    From your description it sounds like you immediately shielded after winning your last match. If that's the case, nobody saw your cupcake team. Also, that team doesn't scream cupcake at 800 points, so perhaps a few skipped it.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,299 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ludaa wrote:
    From your description it sounds like you immediately shielded after winning your last match. If that's the case, nobody saw your cupcake team. Also, that team doesn't scream cupcake at 800 points, so perhaps a few skipped it.

It screams cupcake to me for anyone climbing to 800 points!
  • The other thing to consider is that for whatever reason the matchmaker has a bit of a plateau at 700 points. When you are under 700 it's very hard to find targets with much higher than 700 points, and so your 800 point cupcake is in that goofy area where it's hard for people to find you, and then once people cross 700 and are able to find your cupcake, it isn't even really worth the points because so many other 50-60-70 pt targets have likely just become available.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    Most of what has gone before answers it - only thing I'd add is 810 wouldn't make you worth while hitting for many but the desperate even if they could see you - I regularly score 1500 and scrape top 50 - guys in s4 are scoring 2500+, you shielded to early for late climbers are were to low to both the top players.

If you'd stayed unshielded you'd have been mashed down to 150 - 200 with that team but shielded you just took yourself out the game cause no one could see you
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have no idea what this thread is about.
  • Stax the Foyer
    Stax the Foyer Posts: 941 Critical Contributor

whosecupcakesarethem_zpsatqsah70.png
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884

whosecupcakesarethem_zpsatqsah70.png

WHO DEM BOOTS???
  • Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    At 810 points, I'm not quite sure if you're qualified as a cupcake.
    Your "sugar" content is so low, you're like a small slice of plain bread or something.
    And since you shielded, no one can Q you. So more like the small slice of plain bread in a window display that no one can eat.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Out of interest, did you win first in your bracket?
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    When you shield people can no longer queue you. So not getting hit just means that everyone that had you in their queue when you shielded found a better target. If you hadn't shielded people would have found you and attacked you.

Just to further expound on this excellent post, if you're at 800 points you're not going to help many folks reach 1k or 1.3k when you're worth only 20-30ish while players are looking for 50+. On the other hand, the late climbers (guys starting event at an hour or less prior to expiration) WILL find your 800 points attractive enough to snag 75 off you per hit. So if you DIDN'T shield you could have easily lost 200-300 points at the end. Thus, your use of a shield at the end is NOT a waste in my view. icon_cool.gif