Idea: Remove some of the randomness from the game.

TheSeven
TheSeven Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
What would happen if we removed some of randomness from the game?

There are two instances where removing randomness could help:
1. When determining PVE node rewards;
2. When awarding 5 stars from Legendary Tokens.

PVE node rewards:

Instead of randomly dropping rewards, use a deescalating scale starting with the most valuable rewards and ending each scale by repeating the lowest valued prize.

For example:

Hardest node: 1cp->1000iso->500iso->250iso->140iso->Basic Token->Basic Token->Basic Token…
Sub-hardest nodes: 500iso->250iso->140iso->Basic Toxen->Basic Token->Basic Token…
Easiest nodes: 300iso->150iso->Basic Token->70iso->20iso->20iso->…

Randomly determining node rewards adds nothing but resentment to the game, which is unhealthy for the game’s wellbeing. When players need iso so badly and the majority of their nodes sit with the max prizes unclaimed, this does not make them feel like playing harder. It makes them feel like quitting.

This method also makes it easier to adjust the flow of iso into the game by tweaking the top prizes up or down. You could also introduce random double iso subs to attract interest during those times when participation is low – like between character releases.

Maybe there’s a downside I haven’t considered. I think this would count as a quality of life improvement. Even 500iso is a pittance compared to the millions we need. Grinding for that little bit of iso is demoralizing.

Awarding 5 stars from Legendary Tokens:

Guarantee every tenth Legendary Token gives a 5 star cover.

You could add a progression bar beneath each type of Legendary Token that fills and maybe pulses when the next one opened will be a 5 star.

5 stars can’t be earned or bought. When someone who is used to being a top player (because they’ve invested money into the game) can no longer be a top player because of nothing but luck resentment is understandable.

Giving players a target to work towards would help.

Again, maybe there are downsides I haven’t considered. This doesn’t really undo any damage that has already been done to some players’ gaming experience. Perhaps you could run events where 5 stars are not allows, so the formerly dominant players can earn extra Legendary Tokens and catch up to those players who have passed them because of their good luck.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't mind the randomness of awards.. I'm okay with playing a node for cp, knowing I only need to beat it 7 times at most.

As for an event without 5*s, try the heroic pves... Now that I have a 5*, and I'm used to crushing my pve matches quickly, I hate the heroics, since each match takes absolutely forever.
  • TheSeven
    TheSeven Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    I’m not looking for events without 5 stars, personally. I just empathize with those people who put money into this game. They are the reason this game still exists for me to play casually. They should be able to earn more 5 stars than I do, and they should be able to earn them and not wait for the RNG gods to bless them with good fortune.

Thanks for the reply!
  • Nightglider1
    Nightglider1 Posts: 703 Critical Contributor
    da-s5-characters-slidenumber-carson-4-hires-crop-648x327.jpg

Mr. Carson applauds you.