Is finishing ladder un the 16/27 bracket better?

Options
EDUSAN
EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
So this came to my mind seeing my position con ladder

From 7 to 16 se get a rare, a pack and 3000runes
From 16 to 27 we get a rare, a basic pack and 60 crystals

Se get a basic pack and a regular pack, other wise que get a regular pack and half a pw level...

Should i keep pushing to get to 16?

Comments

• Shhhhhhhhhhh
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    Who knows how valuable runes will be in the future? Additional things to use runes for have been promised.

For sure, 2-6 is better though. A fat pack over a free or 60 crystal booster is a lot better than a small number of mana crystals.
  • EDUSAN
    Options
    Of course nobody knows whats the future value of runes but, to me, these 2 brackets have very similar reward value, specially considering the amount of hours that you would probable need to change bracket so high in the bracket.
  • EDUSAN
    Options
    3000 runes are 10 matches, which could be about 1hour playing?

But what is the value of 60 crystals?
  • EDUSAN wrote:
    But what is the value of 60 crystals?

Awesome. Awesome is their value, as long as you're saving them up.
  • VacaNeon
    VacaNeon Posts: 24
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Big Box costs 600 crystals and gives you 14 booster packs, so 60 crystals = 1.4 booster pack

So yeah, 17~26 > 7~16 as 3000 runes are easy to farm under the current QB
  • ChrisTot
    ChrisTot Posts: 167
    Options
    EDUSAN wrote:
    So this came to my mind seeing my position con ladder
    From 7 to 16 se get a rare, a pack and 3000runes
    From 16 to 27 we get a rare, a basic pack and 60 crystals
    Se get a basic pack and a regular pack, other wise que get a regular pack and half a pw level...
    Should i keep pushing to get to 16?

I like to look at it this way:
    14 packs are worth 600 crystals, so 1 pack is worth 43 crystals.
    Even though it's changed, a basic pack is still worth about 225 runes to me.

Using the law of substitution:
    07 to 16: rare, 43 crystals, 3000 runes
    16 to 27: rare, 60 crystals, 225 runes

So you net profit roughly 1/35th of a big box (14 packs) getting the lower bracket while losing out on the runes, which someone else pointed out is really just worth your "time". Given that the runes are a time based resource and the crystals are finite, i would rather place 16th to 27th.
  • Looks like you guys are buying big boxes with that crystals. When you open them, please post the number of commons, uncommons, rares and mythics that you got out of them in the thread booster/fatpacks/bigbox statistics
    That would help a lot
  • For me, 17-25 is best because I get the best of both worlds...
    • Rare which has a much better chance of being useful than a mythic
    • Crystals which are much more useful to me than a pack, as I'd like to dictate what I spend them on. I've never spent any crystals on packs (aside from my first 600 for a big box).
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    We were discussing this earlier on the FB community. I think having gold for 17th+ is great because if a player has all rares and mythics of said color, they will purposefully aim for lower rank, therefore giving other players a better chance at cards they need.

If gold was rewarded only to say, top 6, players with all rares and mythics would still dominate brackets just for gold, and other players would be screwed
  • RubiconX
    Options
    The winner of my ladder scored 1006 points! Think about it. That's around 12-14 hours of play!

Second scored 972. About 11-12 hours.

17th slot scored 347 points - Maybe 4 hours effort.

I know where my focus will be in future. Effort vs reward.

Oh, and the winner! You can buy a fat pack for $10 USD. Not really worth the effort!
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    I expect the higher scores to fluctuate with patches/updates. Seems like people go balls to the wall after them (I've seen a guy play over 200 matches in a day), and it starts to lose appeal after awhile (also I've taken 1st place with less than 250 total points in a mildly late starting bracket)
  • I always try to land in the 16/27 bracket. Crystals are for sure more interesting than Runes. Hopefully in the next update they will fix the rewards.
  • If they fix the rewards I'd have to work a lot harder. All the changes made so far have made me work harder D=

I hate all of you, please delete this topic ._.
  • The_Leftist
    Options
    I personally believe they should alter the rewards system to push elite players, as well as reward active players.

Perhaps introduce progressive rewards as well as change ranking rewards

For example:

Rewards for 1st attaining scores:

25: 500 runes
    50: 10 Gold
    100: 2 3 Card Boosters
    150: 500 runes
    200: 10 Gold
    300: 5 Card Booster
    500: Fat Pack

This would mean everyone who played 100+ matches would get 20 gold, 1,000 runes, 2 3 card boosters, a 5 Card booster, and a fat pack, which is reasonable considering 100 matches would get you 30,000 runes, which is enough for more than 100 3 packs, which would have gotten you a bit more on average than what this system would hand out (minus the gold). Plus, it gives dedicated players a feeling that this game isn't heading towards that hard Pay to Play vibe that the game seems to be heading towards.
  • Well done guys. It's back to 30 crystals.

What good did you expect coming out of this discussion?

Reward nerf and more ppl competing for it. Hope we will still get 60 crystals for the 3 day events.

Next time listen to the panda from next door icon_e_wink.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    I intentionally stopped once I saw I wasn't going to get crystals in the last run. I only needed 30 crystals to get my big box. Got them, and was pretty happy with the result.

I didn't think to record what I received though. My Green and Red deck were vastly improved... my Black deck still sucks.
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nerimos wrote:
    Well done guys. It's back to 30 crystals.
    They've been alternating the rewards to double the crystals and runes on green and colorless PvPs, since those occur over weekends and are longer.

Personally I wish they'd make all PvPs 2 days long so we can vary what day of the week they end!
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Perhaps introduce progressive rewards
    This is what Marvel PQ does and it's both a good thing and a bad thing. It's good because it encourages people to play, and rewards time and effort over the luck of being in a strong or weak bracket. It's bad because the people who win will also typically win all the progression rewards, making them even stronger.

It's also pretty clear from the 3-pack change that they already think the rate of advancement is too fast. Giving more stuff away is likely not their current goal.

That said, I agree that more rewards in general would be nice, especially for effort.
  • loroku wrote:
    Nerimos wrote:
    Well done guys. It's back to 30 crystals.
    They've been alternating the rewards to double the crystals and runes on green and colorless PvPs, since those occur over weekends and are longer.

Personally I wish they'd make all PvPs 2 days long so we can vary what day of the week they end!

I just wanted to answer that last week every single event granted 60 crystal rewards.
    But when I think about it.... I was stuck in colorless event last week.... Wow that was actually a good bug icon_e_biggrin.gif