Kingpin vs. Luke Cage (Round 2)

Buret0
Buret0 Posts: 1,591
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So, of all of my 4*s who won the 1v1 the last time around, Kingpin was my lowest leveled. He did not disappoint in the second round either. Level 144, 2x all boosts and Cage went down pretty easily. Sure, he holds back the match damage, but Kingpin can keep him from doing anything, since the two colors they share are Cage's only active skills.

By making sure that Cage never picks up black, you can use purple to make sure his yellow never fires (while powering up your own). I was able to fire Maggia henchmen twice and I was able to blow up a CD tile to finish the match with the poke of Wilson. Cage never fired a single move.

Comments

• mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Once lc destroys his own tile, you launch your yellows then your blacks. Mind is around 10 covers, lv 172, so it was pretty straight forward. I didn't let lc fire any powers either. Win a useless cover, sold it for 1000 iso. Yay?
  • Buret0
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Once lc destroys his own tile, you launch your yellows then your blacks. Mind is around 10 covers, lv 172, so it was pretty straight forward. I didn't let lc fire any powers either. Win a useless cover, sold it for 1000 iso. Yay?

I think I got a champion cover for my IMHB. Not the OML cover I always hope for, but at least it was usable.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Today was a good day for me. Kingpin is one of my highest level Champions at lvl 280. He smoked Cage like fine Jamaican cheebah. The LT I got (Jean) gave her another champion level, which gave me 3 CP, enough for a Classic pull. That classic pull gave me a blue Surfer. Huzzah!! icon_mrgreen.gif
  • MaxxPowerz
    MaxxPowerz Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Needless to say I made short work of Cage with my level 140 fully covered Kingpin. No boosts necessary.
  • Took two tries with my 353 KP but wasn't close 2nd try. Got an ant man yellow
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    Its so much fun to compare round 1 and round 2.

Round 1 I had a 0/4/4 KP and had to cap him to beat LC. It took about 12 tries, I remember crying to my alliance about it.

Round 2 I have a 3/5/5 KP and he is at 170. Not sure why I took him so high, I think he was an essential once so I put more iso into him.

Needless to say it was a lot easier, but still not entirely trivial.

You still need to play defensively on the black and be a bit smart when to fire purple. Firing yellow when the board is bad can be a mistake as well, best to do it when colors are dispersed. Anyway got him on the 2nd try, boosted blue/purple.

So far I am 100% on Round 2 of 4* DDQ. Dreading the carnage/faptain/mrF nodes in the upcoming weeks.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    I have a 2/0/3 Kingpin at 127. It did not go well.

Don't know if I should bother boosting and giving it another try -- it seems like without purpletile.png there's just not enough potential damage generation here to beat Luke.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 493 Mover and Shaker
    It took me 2 tries with my 1 3 4 @ 170.
    First time I didn't use boosts though, as I was feeling it out first to see how manageable it would be.
    2nd time used + 2 R/Y AP, +2 all AP, +100 match damage. 4DDQ's are what I save my boosts for personally.

Having only 1 Black cover can be rough, as it barely does any damage, even with a Countdown tile out.
    Aside from denying Yellow and Black, the other key is to make sure that at least one of your Maggia Muscle Countdown Tiles (the Blue ones) fires off.
    Then you are able to start doing Match damage above what his Protect tile can mitigate, and the Yellow Countdown Tiles hit pretty hard.
    If one of your Black Countdowns goes off, you pretty much win if you're decent enough level. My Kingpin is slightly above mid tier, and one of them (only have 4 covers in yellow so don't get two placed) did like 3K damage thanks to the Strike Tiles.

Overall, this is one of the more manageable 4DDQ's if you've got a good covered and level'ed Kingpin.
    Next time around, I imagine this will be even easier for me (assuming at least 1-2 more Kingpin covers and maybe another 15+ levels). First time I didn't even bother, as mine was so under covered & underleveled it wasn't worth it.
    It's no Starlord V Gamora that's for sure!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I didn't make it Round 1. My KP didn't have enough covers.

This time I brought him up to 150, and he's covered at 3/2/3. First try was at 130, but wiped pretty quickly because Luke gathered black due to some insanely lucky drops from the top giving him some match 4 and 5's so fist to the face straight away sucks.

Brought him up to 150 and was able to progressively get closer to beating him. About the 7th try I was able to finally down him. Built up lots of black, kept using purple to suck yellow, then when he FINALLY matched away his own red shield tile, I laid out KP yellow, and popped all 4 CD tiles with the 24 black I had saved up, then it was a frantic race for more black... trying to match it but not letting it line up for him because I've lost to him before this close by him simply getting 6 black AP.

Got my own black AP, dropped another yellow and a couple pokes, and I couldn't wait for him to match his protect tile as I was dying from match damage... and the black and yellow was starting to flood the board and purple was becoming sparse so it was only a matter of time before he matched yellow before I could get more purple or he would get the 1 black match 3 to drop me.

I finally won, and pulled a Yellow Fury. Not really what I was expecting, but since Fury was 1/5/5, I could definitely use it even though I don't use yellow... ever.
  • Buret0
    JVReal wrote:
    Brought him up to 150 and was able to progressively get closer to beating him. About the 7th try I was able to finally down him. Built up lots of black, kept using purple to suck yellow, then when he FINALLY matched away his own red shield tile, I laid out KP yellow, and popped all 4 CD tiles with the 24 black I had saved up, then it was a frantic race for more black... trying to match it but not letting it line up for him because I've lost to him before this close by him simply getting 6 black AP.

The trick for me was to use my yellow AP early and to let my first Goon Squad resolve. If you get good placement on those strike tiles, your second cast can be popped when Cage matches away his protect tile and he's done.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Buret0 wrote:
    JVReal wrote:

The trick for me was to use my yellow AP early and to let my first Goon Squad resolve. If you get good placement on those strike tiles, your second cast can be popped when Cage matches away his protect tile and he's done.
    I was surprised by how little red was on the board for me all 7 tries. Of all the tries he only matched away his own tile 3 times. My level and number of covers only gave me 2 strike tiles strength 71... if that one blue CD didn't get matched away.
  • Buret0
    JVReal wrote:
    I was surprised by how little red was on the board for me all 7 tries. Of all the tries he only matched away his own tile 3 times. My level and number of covers only gave me 2 strike tiles strength 71... if that one blue CD didn't get matched away.

Ah yes, I was lucky enough to have 3/3/5 on mine. The extra CD tiles of each type, the added damage, and the snipers really make a difference, even under level 150.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Please use the thread over in Events for this. After the initial run of 4* DDQ matches, we announced that we'd be moving discussions there with other Event/match-up discussions.

Locking this instead of merging it so people don't think the thread just disappeared.
This discussion has been closed.