Nova and Gwen not yet available from Championing

pabasa130
pabasa130 Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm approaching my first 4* obtainable from Championing as my 3* Captain is currently level 181, two levels away from a yellow flaptain.

As noted in this thread, neither Nova or Gwen is yet available from Championing. I'm inclined to believe that the 3*->4* champion list will be updated in the next season, alongside when Gwen will be available in heroic/legendary tokens.

May I suggest that we be informed beforehand which 3* character will be updated to give out icon_spidergwen.png and icon_nova.png , so that those that are close to at least level 183 can decide if they want to get the older linked character or the newer one?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Just to play devil's advocate, but what makes you think they'd update any of the previous 3* champion rewards to one of the newer 4* characters?

While I am of the opinion some could/should change (what's with all the Cho?), there's no indication they will.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    This poses an interesting question anyway. About 10 more 4* are going to be released, perhaps even more. Some will make a lot more sense to provide as rewards for championing progression.

How will that be fixed retroactively?

What about those that already champed?

Championing is awesome, but it does create certain rigidity that D3 will need to solve. For 2* characters it is easy and done for, but not the case for 3*.
  • Imagine being the guy championing She Hulk, getting a Cho cover, appliing it cause you hold onto all 4*s anyways, and then a week later "Oh hey She Hulk now gives Nova covers."

How do you deal with this problem without making a customer service nightmare in manually deleting and resepcing ChoHulks to have one less cover and giving out Novas on demand?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Jathro wrote:
    Just to play devil's advocate, but what makes you think they'd update any of the previous 3* champion rewards to one of the newer 4* characters?

While I am of the opinion some could/should change (what's with all the Cho?), there's no indication they will.
    One of the Chos was an error. Squirrel Girl now gives Ant-man covers.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    colwag wrote:
    Imagine being the guy championing She Hulk, getting a Cho cover, appliing it cause you hold onto all 4*s anyways, and then a week later "Oh hey She Hulk now gives Nova covers."

How do you deal with this problem without making a customer service nightmare in manually deleting and resepcing ChoHulks to have one less cover and giving out Novas on demand?
    Well, I think it's obvious 4* are going to be much more plentiful than 3*s... So I think 3*s are going to need to give out covers to more than one 4* eventually. And I think the only fair way to do that is to make it retroactive. If 3* Ms Marvel gets updated so that it gives out 3 Nova covers at certain levels instead of 500 ISO... and you have players that have already maxed her out... give them the Nova covers free.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I think that 3* should award a lot more covers.

It will take about 800 days to fully max a champed 3* at normal play. to receive 3 covers for 800 days is silly, at that point nobody will care about the 3*.

Id rather have them solve that problem first.

For those curious 800 days comes from:

5 covers every 40 days (number of 3*). 3 covers for t5. 1 cover for alliance. 1 cover for 800 prog. That is optimal play of course as not many will be able to finish t5 in pvp.
  • jobob wrote:
    colwag wrote:
    Imagine being the guy championing She Hulk, getting a Cho cover, appliing it cause you hold onto all 4*s anyways, and then a week later "Oh hey She Hulk now gives Nova covers."

Well, I think it's obvious 4* are going to be much more plentiful than 3*s... So I think 3*s are going to need to give out covers to more than one 4* eventually. And I think the only fair way to do that is to make it retroactive. If 3* Ms Marvel gets updated so that it gives out 3 Nova covers at certain levels instead of 500 ISO... and you have players that have already maxed her out... give them the Nova covers free.

Well, I'm not sure that 4*s will outnumber 3*s. 40 is a lot of characters, after all. (I think part of the reason we're seeing a 5* a month is because that means they only need to release 1 4* a month to keep at 2 characters a month)

And I'm wondering if that'd be that easy. Is there a simple way in the system to scan for say, Captain Marvels over level 200, and give them each a Nova cover?

Hm. Well, they can manage "Everybody who played this Lightning Round gets 5K Iso"

Here's to hoping!
  • RoryQ
    RoryQ Posts: 64 Match Maker
    What characters do they give out from champing?
  • pabasa130
    Jathro wrote:

Nope you are absolutely correct. There has been no indication by d3 that they will update the 3* - >4* champions list.

I am however an optimist and I'd like to give people the benefit of the doubt. I'd like to believe that any new 4* will be matched with the rest of the 3*, at least until there are 40 4*s to be matched with.

What I am asking of D3 is for them to communicate to the players their intention. Although I'd love for them to update Nova and Gwen (which are awesome new characters) to a current 3* champion, I also personally don't mind if they don't update the list (many will probably disagree with me on this) .

Just a simple communication from the devs. Will they update the 3* champions lists? If yes, when will they update the list? Start of new season? After they have enough 4* to match the 3*s in one go?
  • pabasa130
    colwag wrote:

Based on what I've read around the forums, when championing came out, players managed to get customer support to break down their duplicate heroes to be used for championing, despite there being no official word in this.

Sounds like they can do the same for the handful amount of people who championed and got a cover from an old character and want to swap it with the newer one.

Note this is just hearsay on my part. I am unable to verify the truth about the above.
  • pabasa130
    RoryQ wrote:
    What characters do they give out from champing?

The list is available here:
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37687
  • pabasa130 wrote:
    colwag wrote:

Based on what I've read around the forums, when championing came out, players managed to get customer support to break down their duplicate heroes to be used for championing, despite there being no official word in this.

Sounds like they can do the same for the handful amount of people who championed and got a cover from an old character and want to swap it with the newer one.

Note this is just hearsay on my part. I am unable to verify the truth about the above.

That is specifically the customer service nightmare I talk about when I say "How do you deal with it without creating a customer service nightmare"

It started with a few CS reps doing it for a few people, probably along the lines of "Oh hey sure lets help you get excited for New Feature by helping you partake in it." But then more and more people started to do it, and started to do things like "I'm going to build a dupe of the character so I have Champion levels to get when I finally get that last Red cover/enough Iso to max them" and all these individual issues were flooding onto customer support where somebody had to personally fix each one individually.

I think that's what they'd want to avoid with these, and people wanting to swap covers out like that.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    Jathro wrote:

One of the Chos was an error. Squirrel Girl now gives Ant-man covers.

any cho's are errors. that guy is ready for the buff/retool machine.