Russia

Options
WilsonFisk
WilsonFisk Posts: 365 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Ok, I'm just over a month into the game, finally able to be competitive in the easy modes on Simulator and Brotherhood.

2 questions though.

Did everyone just get one new Brotherhood event today? All I have is Russia.

Next, I'm sitting in 5th place, have completed every mission multiple times in Russia until the point total is down to 1. The guy in 1st place has 6982 points, I have 6763. How is this possible? Are the possible point totals different for different players?

Comments

• He played about 10 mins later than you.
  • Everyone got only the Russia subevent.

Rubber-banding is based on overall standings, not your standings in an individual subevent. If you don't know what rubber-banding is, it is the system they have in place so that people who are further behind overall (whether because they didn't play or because they can't beat all the missions) can somewhat catch up and still get a lot of progression awards because the missions will be worth more for them.

It does mean that it's easier to win any given subevent if you're further behind in the overall standings by missing or getting few points in earlier subevents, because you'll be getting more points per mission than everyone else. But of course if you're that far behind, even a few thousand extra points now aren't going to get you in good position for the Black Panther covers in the main event.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    The over/under on how many hours until IceIX closes this thread is 3.

Any takers? I'll let you pick over or under.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He played about 10 mins later than you.

Or grinded the missions in a better order to maximize rubberbanding.
  • WilsonFisk
    Options
    So is there a "better order" to maximize the rubber banding? I typically just repeat the fight in on until points are down to 1, or is it better to just hit them each once, wait a few hours and the points increase?
  • WilsonFisk
    Options
    As it sits now, I'm down to 19th, and not a match with a point value over 1, and nearly 2000 points out of the lead. Crazy that your penalized for powering through the matches quickly!
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    chadds wrote:
    As it sits now, I'm down to 19th, and not a match with a point value over 1, and nearly 2000 points out of the lead. Crazy that your penalized for powering through the matches quickly!

You're going to get a better effect of the rubber banding than they will during the next stack.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    chadds wrote:
    So is there a "better order" to maximize the rubber banding? I typically just repeat the fight in on until points are down to 1, or is it better to just hit them each once, wait a few hours and the points increase?

That's the worst possible way, because you lose so many points from stack refreshes.

The best way to use rubberbanding is to clear missions as late as possible without losing refreshes. Additionally there is a certain order you should perform missions in to maximise your points gained, but as it is only worth about 100 points at best and involves math most people avoid it.
  • Is there some math I don't know? I always figured it was best to do the highest points missions first so you lose less total points as they all scale down. Is there a better way I am missing? Probably wouldn't do it either way, but I am curious.
  • aboudreau wrote:
    Is there some math I don't know? I always figured it was best to do the highest points missions first so you lose less total points as they all scale down. Is there a better way I am missing? Probably wouldn't do it either way, but I am curious.

The rubberband multiplier is based on how far you are from the top people in the brackets. Technically, the best way to do missions is by doing the lowest possible missions that won't push you passed your max rubberband.

To give you an example:

If you have a mission worth 1000 (let's say 10x multipler on base 100) and a mission worth 100 (10x multiplier on base 10). If you were, let's say, 1200 points out of first place. It would be better to do the 100 point mission first, and then the 1000 point mission. Theoretically, you would still have max rubberband after completing the first 100 point mission. You would then net 1100 points from battles. The alternative is that you do the 1000 battle first, then your rubberband multiplier drops. Maybe it's now a 3x multiplier. So you get 30 for your base 10 mission. Now you've gotten 1030 points total.

It's really minor, and you can't be precise because nobody really knows the thresholds for various levels of rubberband (it's also a combination of main bracket/sub bracket).

The numbers are just by way of example but that's the basic principle.
  • jozier wrote:

The rubberband multiplier is based on how far you are from the top people in the brackets. Technically, the best way to do missions is by doing the lowest possible missions that won't push you passed your max rubberband.
    It used to be that it was just based on your placement in the sub-event, but now it's your place in global sub-events which is has a few consequences.
    IceX wrote:
    - Points per mission have a rubber banding effect depending on your overall placement (ignoring brackets). This means that if your score is lower than the average for the position that you're in, your missions will be worth more compared to others in that same position. IE, if Bracket Alpha's 1st place has 750 points and Bracket Zeta has 500, Zeta's 1st will gain more points from missions to equalize brackets. This will filter down to lower ratings as well, since naturally in that case, 50th would necessarily be lower in Zeta compared to Alpha. This has the effect of allowing brackets to push higher as a group to achieve the further out rewards.

Before you could time which missions to take, sometimes it was better to take the smaller point value missions as long as it didn't get you above a certain place, like 10 for example. But now you have no way of knowing that because it is on the global scale. So most people cram the higher point missions first, which is fine. The nice thing about this though, is that it ensures maximum rubber banding for everyone even if you're in a sub-event bracket full of slackers.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    jozier wrote:

It used to be that it was just based on your placement in the sub-event, but now it's your place in global sub-events which is has a few consequences.
    IceX wrote:
    - Points per mission have a rubber banding effect depending on your overall placement (ignoring brackets). This means that if your score is lower than the average for the position that you're in, your missions will be worth more compared to others in that same position. IE, if Bracket Alpha's 1st place has 750 points and Bracket Zeta has 500, Zeta's 1st will gain more points from missions to equalize brackets. This will filter down to lower ratings as well, since naturally in that case, 50th would necessarily be lower in Zeta compared to Alpha. This has the effect of allowing brackets to push higher as a group to achieve the further out rewards.

Before you could time which missions to take, sometimes it was better to take the smaller point value missions as long as it didn't get you above a certain place, like 10 for example. But now you have no way of knowing that because it is on the global scale. So most people cram the higher point missions first, which is fine. The nice thing about this though, is that it ensures maximum rubber banding for everyone even if you're in a sub-event bracket full of slackers.

That doesn't change anything really. All that says is that brackets further behind other brackets get rubberbanded higher. But that's based on the person in first. So the strategy of still not wanting to go above a certain place hasn't changed.