Chandra needs love.

Options
Can we talk about Chandra please?
Her rare and mythic cards are way too expensive. Berserk for 19mana ,Abbot for 15 mana ,dragon for 20 mana, pia and kian 17 mana,embermaw 16 mana - only good rare. Chandra's ignition a mythic for 19- so useless. I rather have three exquisite firecrafts( less mana and I get to take out creatures individually which gives me power to reduce the received damage)
The list goes on an on.
How is this in any way a "fast" deck? Everything takes forever.
Nissa? Ridiculous 6/6 spider with reach for 12
Golem that becomes 12/12 for 12 mana
Jace and Gideon are the same. So op.
I've always played a destroyer deck in mtg, but this is a joke, unless I have the best mythics and very certain cards this deck is a struggle.
If you even specify in the update that Chandra is a fast deck then actually make the deck fast, sometimes it takes 3-4 turns to put out a creature, and I end up spending most of my mana destroying the other creatures before I ever summon one.
Unless I'm playing the deck wrong then please correct me.

Comments

• Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Saluris wrote:
    Can we talk about Chandra please?
    Her rare and mythic cards are way too expensive. Berserk for 19mana ,Abbot for 15 mana ,dragon for 20 mana, pia and kian 17 mana,embermaw 16 mana - only good rare. Chandra's ignition a mythic for 19- so useless. I rather have three exquisite firecrafts( less mana and I get to take out creatures individually which gives me power to reduce the received damage)
    The list goes on an on.
    How is this in any way a "fast" deck? Everything takes forever.
    Nissa? Ridiculous 6/6 spider with reach for 12
    Golem that becomes 12/12 for 12 mana
    Jace and Gideon are the same. So op.
    I've always played a destroyer deck in mtg, but this is a joke, unless I have the best mythics and very certain cards this deck is a struggle.
    If you even specify in the update that Chandra is a fast deck then actually make the deck fast, sometimes it takes 3-4 turns to put out a creature, and I end up spending most of my mana destroying the other creatures before I ever summon one.
    Unless I'm playing the deck wrong then please correct me.
    I played some Chandra recently so what I can say is that I agree and disagree at the same time

- berserk 19 mana is iroas... You forgot that it double strike. Also first struke is quite good to pair with direct damage to avoid getting damaged back(if your iroas face a 6/6 if you deal 3 damage to it then when iroas attacks the 6/3 gets killed with no damage back). Of course iroa is better in Gideon since can be buffed but still had some place here.
    - abbot for the mana cost is good: 6/5 with gem deatroy(chance for cascades) + spell draw AND mana cost reduction. Lots of stuff for one single card.
    - dragon is slow but is more an investment for later turns cause of special ability. Not that great sure but ok-ish
    - Chandra ignition is garbage.

- spider can be killed by exquisite firecraft for only 6 mana.
    - same for colossus before renown

Overall Chandra is not in a good spot cause other three colors(liliana is even worse than Chandra imo) have more really good stuff.

What Chandra has that is reallllly good and fast is exquisite firecraft and rumbling elemental. Demolish too is nice(but situational so not great).
    Rest of stuff even if you consider good is mostly too slow I agree.
  • EDUSAN
    EDUSAN Posts: 197 Tile Toppler
    Options
    im playing chandra at low level for ladder (lvl 20), and im sure the complaints are thought high level planeswalker, but im on a 40 wins streak with her.

the only card a dislike but that is handy some times for extra burst damage is the common red card that for 6 mana deals 3 damage. what is the purpouse of that card if there is a rare that for 6 mana deals 6 damage?

the 1st card needs to be changed to something else, i dont get it to have a card that for the same mana does exactly the same but poorer. That card should cost less or do something extra (or buff the other card a bit, maybe 1 damage just to differenciate it)
  • knthrak
    Options
    Chandra has the best creatures at or below 8 mana, all of which are uncommon or common.
    * Volcanic Rambler (8) 5/3
    * Enthralling Victor (8) 4/3
    * Acolyte of the Inferno (6) 3/1
    * Subterranean Scout (4) 2/1

All of these creatures have a cost/power ratio of 2 or more (smaller is better). White tends to be more in the 3 area. In paper MtG, white gets the best cheap creatures, but in MtGPQ, that honor currently goes to red.

Chandra also has the best removal. Unfortunately, the best stuff is rare.
    * Chandra's 2nd ability (2, 3, then 3 damage)
    * Ravaging Blaze
    * Exquisite Firecraft
    * Fiery Conclusion (Hopefully in conjunction with a "borrow" effect)
    * Fiery Impulse (Useful in conjunction with other burn)
    * Lightning Javelin

In paper MtG, black is supposed to be the best at killing creatures. Prior to the 1.3 patch, blue had the best removal. Post 1.3, red gets the best removal.

Red has the best support destruction in the game. It has decent high end creatures. It even has card draw attached to a good high end creature with incidental support destruction (Abbot of Keral Keep).

In an individual game, Red's main weakness is high toughness creatures. In a string of quick battles, Red's main weakness is a lack of life gain. Red frequently takes some small amount of damage each game, and can't gain that life back easily.
  • Mikeymike
    Options
    I also agree and disagree.

I agree in the sense that her best rare/mythic creatures are pretty insanely expensive, which for a PW with no real mana acceleration makes them quite difficult to use effectively. To extend your comparison to Nissa, the green rare/mythics are both cheap and come out lightning fast thanks to the acceleration.

However, much like real-world Magic, Chandra (red) seems to run strongest when running her amazingly cheap removal and efficient weenies. I have a maxed Chandra and Nissa and bounce back and forth between the two while each gains health, and they are both extremely effective. Nissa is easier simply because she is so consistent, but Chandra is able to pull off nasty tricks every single match for me along with pulling out some comebacks I had no business pulling off.

Still, I do get your point about her imbalance in card/rarity selection, I just can't quite call her under-powered.

Here is the deck I run at level 50:
    3: Smash to Smithereens
    4: Subterranean Scout (2/1)
    6: Acolyte of the Inferno (3/1)
    6: Exquisite Firecraft
    6: Ravaging Blaze
    8: Brawler's Plate
    8: Volcanic Rambler (5/3)
    10: Blazing Hellhound (4/3)
    11: Boggart Brute (5/3)
    16: Embermaw Hellion (5/6)

Concept is pretty straight-forward, pour out the cheap creatures quickly and get either the Plate or Hellion out, kill any blockers along the way. I do think I can make improvements as well once my Red collection grows up a bit.
  • Thanks for the responses guys.

>Mikeymike and knthrak
    I see what you guys are saying, and I agree.
    But both of you just proved my point, most of the creatures you named are uncommon or common, so therefore whats the point of having rares and mythics that I never use?
    With their costs my deck can handle 2 rares/mythics while everyone else has their decks stacked with gold creatures.

Ive played only with Chandra and have spent tons of crystals/points to buy the booster packs, but I still have not gotten any of the Fiery cards and its extremely frustrating hoping for those two common cards to show up.

>Morphis
    Abbot is actually super useful and he's been in my deck ever since I had him. I think I was angry when I wrote this post and kind of forgot about him icon_razz.gif
    Also yes, I can destroy the golem with one shot, but if I dont happen to have it on my hand I'm basically screwed. While Nissas first ability basically puts him out for free. Sometimes when she gets a cascade its two golems and then its game over.
    I cant gain any life, and dealing 18dmg takes 2 turns if im lucky, and if not 3-4 turns, by that time my 74hp is already 2/3 gone.

Iroas is amazing but so costly, I usually give her plate or the +2/+1 boost.
  • Chandra is a strong chracter for me. Load up your hand on her quick removal and you have a shield against creatures played. You have enough time to play out your embermaw and scabclan and when those hit the board you'll be okay. I will admit i think ger creatures are overcosted, but her removal makes up for it.