Do you skip all-color OMLs?

Lemminkäinen
Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
If you see an un-leveled three-colour OML do you skip him or do you go and check the covers? I just got my first red so my OML is now 4/1/1 which is nice. But I have zero maxed four stars so I'm not all that sure I want to add levels to him but is he useful now in PVP? Or is he a red cloth?

I know I always attack those 255-270 five-stars with just one or two colours. But I don't see all-colours versions at low levels much.

Would you rather face a 170 3*Cycplos or that 4/1/1 255 OML?

Comments

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    I don't care about colors that much. I look for level and health mostly.
    With 5stars it's not the abilities that are scary but the match damage and the time it takes to down them.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    With 5stars it's not the abilities that are scary but the match damage and the time it takes to down them.
    At what level do you start skipping five-stars?
  • Chrono_Tata
    Chrono_Tata Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    If his health is low enough to be one-shot by Repulsor Punch, he's okay to fight.
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    That depends how many juicy targets there are, who's on the team other than your OML, total team health...
    I'd say >22k health for the 5star makes me think.
  • NickHewitt12
    NickHewitt12 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    Any single 5* team with their 5* less than or equal to 375 is beatable, but usually with my 345 1/2/3 OML and a boosted 4*. Anything above that, or if I don't have a boosted 4*, is a different story.
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Xenoberyll wrote:

Depends on various factors.

Had no problems hitting poorly covered 5* at lvl 350 odd with 3* teams last event, especially if they weren't running SW. If Jeannie wasn't involved i hit 4* teams too.
    Later in the event if i'm hopping then it depends on the team make up and points. But at that level most of the 5* JG were at scary levels anyway
  • I just bring Iceman, and never punch - try to keep him stunned for as much of the match as possible.

His yellow is annoying, but if you save him for last it's manageable. 390 or so is the point where I typically start skipping, but if the points are there I'll risk the health packs even on a 450.
  • Orion
    Orion Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    With 5*s, it's the levels that matter, not the covers.

A 1/1/1 level 300 OML is scarier than a 2/2/2 OML still at level 255. I generally will hit an OML if he's under level 345, but I've been trying higher levels as my own OML gets better.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    it depends on a lot for me. earlier in the event, i'll take more chances. if I see one worth pts around level 330 and I can afford a loss (time/healthpack/pts/etc), i'll go for it. once its time for my push to first shield, I skip most of them, but if its late and I find points, I hit up to about 320 or so, but only if the situation with healthpacks is right. I certainly don't hop on them, even if I can't find a cc.
  • I might skip if:
    SS > Lv420
    OML > Lv405
    Pheonix > Lv405

But if I have a nice someone boosted, I will allow for higher and maybe use a MBW.
    If any characters missing a color, looks like an easy target.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you see an un-leveled three-colour OML do you skip him or do you go and check the covers?
    Like Tony said to Apollo Creed in Rocky 2, we don't need that kinda man in our lives...
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally speaking I don't find oml that scary. In the hands of a player he's devastating, in the hands of AI his powers never fire properly anyway. I never skip oml no matter the level though the highest I've seen was 375.

General rule is, the more simple the caharacter design the more annoying he Wil be in the hands of AI as then he can't be misused
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hit most low-level 5*s out of principle if I've got a couple of boosted 3*s. It annoys me when I see people who have clearly skipped the 3-4* transition and are swanning about using 5*s like they own the place icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Xenoberyll wrote:

I'll assume you mean with a 4star team eg. Jean buster + featured.

I generally skip 330+, I do consider multiple color covers, cause a single cover is easier to starve. Not that 330 is unbeatable, but it's usually not worth it.
  • It annoys me when I see people who have clearly skipped the 3-4* transition and are swanning about using 5*s like they own the place icon_mrgreen.gif
    It annoys me too, and I've done exactly that. Not like I've actually concentrated on it or anything, but the reality is that my 3-cover 5*s are better than my 8-cover 4*s, especially as compliments to my mostly maxed 3* roster (OML+ 3clops is the best general-purpose duo I can field). I wish it wasn't so, but it is, at least until they start bloating the 5* ranks to keep up with the 4* bloat. Can't wait for that. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    OML is not that hard, the key is to kill the other 2 first to negate most of his healing, and save nukes or stuns for him.. any OML under 415 i will take on.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also depends how strong my characters are.

This week running boosted Thing-RHulk together, I'll hit much higher OMLs than I might if I only had unboosted Jeanbuster usable.

Around 375 is where I'll give it pause. If it's with Fist though, it still gets hit.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    In the matchmaking pvp, I teamed my 390 oml with a boosted championed IW, and no one attacked us. It was the dream! The IW was mostly useless, but when I was able to do her green, it did take away around 13000 hit points, which was nice.

I will generally take on an OML that's 315 or lower. I'm hesitant to take on higher ones, because I don't want them to retaliate against me! But I'll do it if there are no other points and they're not in my alliance family.

SS's on the other hand, I'll take them on at high levels. If the SS red only does around 3000 hit point damage, it's not that scary.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally speaking I don't find oml that scary. In the hands of a player he's devastating, in the hands of AI his powers never fire properly anyway. I never skip oml no matter the level though the highest I've seen was 375.

General rule is, the more simple the caharacter design the more annoying he Wil be in the hands of AI as then he can't be misused

While I agree with that general rule, I think OML is actually simple enough to be dangerous. 2/3 powers are passive, and make him annoying to leave alive and hard to kill first. And when the ai stumbles into transformation, all 3 powers start doing a ton of damage.

By contrast, both Phoenix and SS really need a human player to optimize their powers (not sure about bss, as I don't have much experience with him). The ai is likely to match away Phoenix's countdown tile, or spawn huge attack tiles for thebokayer by using red 71st the wrong time. Or healing while at full health, or placing a singularity in the top row. . .