The LT adventure...

Handoftheking26
Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
So when you get enough cps for an LT, or receive one as a prize, the adventure has now begun. Will I receive the elusive and coveted OML yellow? Or will i get slapped in the face with a Totally Awful black? No token has ever carried such power. Will I jump for joy and do a happy dance? Or will i contemplate throwing my technology at the wall? The difference in usability between the bottom 4* and the top tier of 4-5*s in UNREAL!!! I should not be wishing my LT had given me a 2* champion cover rather than my 4* prize. Either some balancing should be attempted, or make a new category. How about "Latest, Classic, and Playable"? or "Unbroken and Broken". Many of us would pay an extra 10 cps to "thin the herd" of possible prizes. And this is coming from a player with ZERO completed 4*s! Although far from 13 covers strong, there are many chars (looking at you Cho) that I have no desire to complete. So how about it? Make another category for LTs or make it so we can eliminate the 3-5 chars we dont want a chance to pull, we will pay cps for each char we are allowed to remove. I know there is a .0001% chance this happens, but man it would be epic.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Heres the thing, when the game was young and we had Standard and Heroic tokens that was fine because there were only a smattering of 3* characters and for a long time only 2 4* characters. When D3 decided to really push the 3* tier all 1* and 2* should have been kept in the Standard tokens and 3* and 4* tier be kept in the Heroic tokens. Skip forwards about a year and the 4* was/is being pushed and when that was populated enough a new token should have been made containing just the 4* or at a push lumped into the Heroic token so Heroics have 3* minimum.

Legendary tokens should have been kept exclusively for the 5* tier and Command Points should have been kept to just rewards and not indirectly purchasable.

The players should not have to pay for errors made by the decision makers.

Tl;dr - No I don't agree.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    I've pulled 6 times as many TTHulks as 5*s total, but I wouldn't go for a change like this. The premise of the question has very little to do with game design and everything to do with dissatisfaction at the game's roadblocks to progression. The roadblocks have to be there!

I can think of a lot of designs that I'd prefer over LTs as a way to deliver progression, but changing them as suggested is not one of them. That method would either be ripe for abuse or would scale very poorly as more 4*s come out, and in the meantime it would just be a meaningless acceleration to 5* land where everything sucks.
  • MarvelMan
    MarvelMan Posts: 1,350
    Something needs to be done. Luck dependency is killing the game, as described elsewhere for 5*s, but its killing my 4* transition too.

Personally, Ive gone almost 50 LTs without a 5* pull....and that's not even the worst part. (Okay, maybe it is) My issue is that I have a number of 4*s at 9+ covers.....and six of my recent cover pulls from LTs have been the ONE color I have maxed on those, so they will get sold for iso once they get close to expiring. The covers are for Thing, GR, DPX and Carnage. Add in that I was on a break when IceIceBaby was introduced so I missed any of those covers.....and it took me until 2 weeks ago to pull my FIRST. Its demoralizing at best.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    One way they could reduce randomness would be to have featured characters with significantly increased odds e.g. you could have the current and next 4* essential at 10% chance just by dropping the others down to 3%.

Another thing I would like to see would be for covers from an LT to be colourless, your average player is not going to be getting too many of them a week so having to practically throw away a cover just because rng decides to give you a 6th cover for your 5/0/0 character seems needlessly harsh.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2016
    Crowl wrote:
    One way they could reduce randomness would be to have featured characters with significantly increased odds e.g. you could have the current and next 4* essential at 10% chance just by dropping the others down to 3%.

Another thing I would like to see would be for covers from an LT to be colourless, your average player is not going to be getting too many of them a week so having to practically throw away a cover just because rng decides to give you a 6th cover for your 5/0/0 character seems needlessly harsh.

This suggestions are all great. . .for players. They will never happen sadly. The problem is that the randomness that drives us crazy, and makes the game so frustrating is a feature and not a bug for d3.

Legendary tokens are a way for the devs to offer a rewards that feels premium, so people will chase hard for it, but that will sometimes turn out to be useless. That means that players have to keep grinding longer (or maybe buy more tokens. . .) to get real progress.

It's good for them when we bust our **** for an LT and get a useless pull, so I would expect significant changes in our favor. Just small stuff around the edges.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Vhailorx wrote:

Legendary tokens are a way for the devs to offer a rewards that feels premium, so people will chase hard for it, but that will sometimes turn out to be useless. That means that players have to keep grinding longer (or maybe buy more tokens. . .) to get real progress.

It's good for them when we bust our **** for an LT and get a useless token, so I would expect significant changes in our favor. Just small stuff around the edges.

I think your post captures the mindset of the devs accurately in their view of the LT. It sorta *FEELS* like a premium reward, but 95% of the time is useless to the veteran player who gets LT progression consistently.

Personally, I've been hoarding my cps (500+ now). I've been opening the LTs I get from Crash of Titan, but right now on an 0 for 18 streak on anything useful. Yup, been selling them all for iso. icon_neutral.gif I think at this point, the prudent approach would be using the CPs to buy covers---of new 4* releases like Gwen. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    This suggestions are all great. . .for players. They will never happen sadly. The problem is that the randomness that drives us crazy, and makes the game so frustrating is a feature and not a bug for d3.

If that is their mindset then it is going to come back to bite them in the long run, being too miserly and random is going to end up alienating too many players as people hit their personal point where the game is no longer worth it for them.