Free to play

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
So, first off, I'd like to say that I've read an astounding number of posts where someone has joined the forum to complain that the game's no longer fun. This is my first post, and I'd like to say: I am still enjoying this game.

I play chiefly through Steam, where I appear to have logged over 340 hours so far. I also play on a separate account on my phone when at work (and wish I could sync them up - though this has been covered quite thoroughly elsewhere on this board, I'm sure).

My current mainstays are Classic Black Widow and Classic Storm, with either Moonstone (preferably), Cpt. America, or whoever happens to be boosted.

I have spent about one English pound on the game so far: this was during a Steam sale when the intro packs with HP and Iso-8 were at half price, and I'd sold enough DOTA2 random drops to cover the price - so I didn't even spend any real money.

A lot of people on here have commented about how the game is set up as a scam to make you spend more and more and more. I've found this to be entirely optional. I've got a whole bunch of 85s, which will more or less get me to see all of the storyline (and I really do enjoy the storyline!). That's pretty much all I need. Boosts, shields, brand new covers for brand new ***s - I can live without them!

The game is, at the end of the day, about matching three or more shiny blocks next to each other. You can quite happily re-run the intro campaign missions if you enjoy doing it. Anything even better than that is a bonus.

Thanks to D3P for this game. I'm sorry I'm not effectively paying your wages - too poor for that IRL, I guess. Even with all the bonus things you can get for cash, this is a fun, playable, enjoyable game.

Comments

• I'm glad to hear someone actually post this. I think this game is plenty fun to play still. I have not spent a penny on this game, and have received full enjoyment and progression out of this game. Though, it is a bit of a grind sometimes, that what a game like this calls for when you are up against other people. I like the challenge that some of the later events have given.

Keep up the good work D3!
  • It may not force, but it does heavily reward paying players. And really they could lighten up the grind a bit and make the free side of it a bit more fun and encourage players to pay for it.
  • +1

Game is still really fun spending little to no money

I dropped a few dollars early just to support D3/developer/publisher to keep it going but you eventually get to the point where you get enough hp to buy roster slots and/or sustain a shield at the end of tournaments. You get a ton of iso from doing pve/lightning rounds/pvp and that should really just go into leveling your toons. Granted they know there are a ton of problems with enemy levels scaling but I'm sure they're constantly tweaking to make the system better. My main acct has very little issues doing 230s*3 with some exceptions and thats not with spider-man every time (he's only lvl 80 too) and on the same note, my low level account which is only half-way through the preview early stuff can occasionally take out a few pve enemies before regenning. Occasionally, although frustrating, you should have a failed attempt or two in pve.

Point being you don't need to spend money to win. Granted if you drop a TON of money it will give you an advantage but the fact is, other than the people who flat-out cheat with hacks, you can be perfectly competitive on just a few bucks a month.

But as a note to people starting new accounts, spend 100% of your HP on roster slots or you will have to buy HP for them later on, once you hit about 10 slots you reach a point where you can't keep up with the new covers without buying HP on the store.

I'm not saying don't spend money because the developers do need a paycheck to keep doing what they're doing but you also don't need to drop an entire paycheck to be competitive.
  • Pawkeshup wrote:
    It may not force, but it does heavily reward paying players. And really they could lighten up the grind a bit and make the free side of it a bit more fun and encourage players to pay for it.

As soon as they offer another sale on Steam, I'll be spending my next ~£1 on Iso and HP icon_e_biggrin.gif

Sure, I'm always going to be behind the top lot, but I'm still scoring high enough to win some HP and a chance at ***s. I've even got one each of X-Force and Invisible Woman at this point.