Is it time to start opening some legendaries?

Quebbster
Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
When championing was introduced I decided to save my tokens for a while to make sure I didn't have to sell covers I could use to champion characters due to a lack of ISO. Since then, I have champed all three-star characters, and I have managed to softcap Iceman and Classic Cyclops in the 200s. My main priority at the moment is collecting the ISO to get Xpool up to 270, and I am about 100K away from that goal. I have 9 fourstars maxed already, and most of them are champed too.
Seeing Phoenix being boosted in the Valentine PvP made me wonder if perhaps I should start opening legendaries after all as mine is 2/0/2 - I really need at least one red cover to make her competitive. I have 60 legendaries stockpiled, so I should have a decent chance of getting something useful if I open them all. icon_e_smile.gif
On the other hand, I probably can't spare the ISO to take Phoenix over level 270 at the moment, so perhaps I should just stick to the plan a little while longer...

Anyway, I welcome all feedback. I also have almost all event tokens from the last season stockpiled and am seriously considering opening at least the ones from PvP as it's a bit of a bother to flip through so many screens before getting to the Deadpool vault...

Comments

• zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Kudos on the self control, I can't do it I open them ASAP.

To the question, I think Pheonix is a five that need covers to shine, more so than logan and SS.
  • Quebbster
    zeeke wrote:
    Kudos on the self control, I can't do it I open them ASAP.

To the question, I think Pheonix is a five that need covers to shine, more so than logan and SS.
    The irony is that Phoenix is the five-star closest to being useable for me. OML is 1/1/0 (with another black coming in the resupply soon) and Silver Surfer is 0/0/4. But Phoenix without a red cover just seems... not at all threatening.
    Then again, if I can't level her up that much she won't be much of a threat anyway I suppose. Decisions, decisions.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was hoarding until Nova became available.. so i opened 1 token and got 5* icon_spiderman.pnggreenflag.png .. will wait a bit for the rest.
  • Quebbster
    Malcrof wrote:
    I was hoarding until Nova became available.. so i opened 1 token and got 5* icon_spiderman.pnggreenflag.png .. will wait a bit for the rest.
    Yeah, that was my reasoning too, but I may even hold on for a bit longer and wait for Gwen to become available... unless they release a new five-star before then and push OML out of Latest Legends.
    I decided to start opening my event tokens. Got a lot of champion covers and a Rulk red (very needed, takes him up to 2/3/1...) so far, and all those champion covers are giving me a nice ISO injection. Not bad at all.
  • I've been hoarding LTs since they introduced the feature and i'm finally ready to start opening them this season. Papa needs some Nova covers!
    But yeah now would be a good time to open them before OML gets retired out of LL.

btw if you open deadpool daily event and click on the recruit heroes tab from there it'll jump you straight to the taco vault.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I opened mine this week, making sure I opened them before OML moved on. my OML went from 2/-/2 to 2/-/4 - so frustrating. also got bssm green. finished several other characters inclluding xfw and xpool. xpool will probably be my next after I finish cyke. i'll continue to open until 5* #5 hits, then will go back to hoarding.
  • Quebbster
    Went through all my Heroic tokens. Got some much needed fourstar covers for Miles, Eddie and Laura, as well as some champion levels for Thing and Ant-man. And also a Professor X cover, so now I have two weeks to decide whether to spend 150 K ISO to get him maxed and championed.
    I think I'll save the legendaries for a later time...
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    *snip*I have 60 legendaries stockpiled, so I should have a decent chance of getting something useful if I open them all. icon_e_smile.gif*snip*

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. That's not how it works. You open all 60 and thank your lucky stars if you get more than one 5* cover. Then you agonize over which 4* character's covers you have to ditch because you can't possibly champion them all.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I pulled my 13th 4* Cyc a couple weeks back, so I've started hoading legendaries just in case I pull another, want to max Cyc first and not throw those covers out.

"NOT SO FAST!", says the game, making sure to give me a cyc cover with my first pull from the valentine vault. Ha ha ha! The game will get you no matter what.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    El Satanno wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    *snip*I have 60 legendaries stockpiled, so I should have a decent chance of getting something useful if I open them all. icon_e_smile.gif*snip*

HAHAHAHAHAHA, no. That's not how it works. You open all 60 and thank your lucky stars if you get more than one 5* cover. Then you agonize over which 4* character's covers you have to ditch because you can't possibly champion them all.

Yeah, my game is doing that right now. I opened 33 legendaries - only one 5* (Pheonix, so now she's 0/1/1, woo.) But I did get four covers for my level 127 3/3/5 Iceman. Unfortunately they were 1 green, 3 purple.

Fortunately, I have 160K Iso and 539 CP right now, so I'll just earn Iso, eye my 4/3/5 Iceman, and hope I get one more green or blue before I get the Iso to max and Champion him (about 350K, as I recall.) When I hit that magic Iso point I'll just open Classic Legendary tokens until I get down to 120, and if I don't get what I need I'll just bite the bullet and spend the CP on him.

Definitely doable, but man that was definitely the least fun option from 33 Legendary pulls. Not to mention my 5* roster is entirely unusable.

First MPQ World problems...
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    I've been on a lucky run, pulled 10x 5*'s in 64 LT's since I started keeping track.
  • Quebbster
    Update: Left the Legendary stash alone, and managed to get Deadpool maxed and have managed to collect another 100K Iso since then. And then they previewed the next fivestar and push came to shove... Now I need to decide if I want to open them now to have a chance at OML or if I should wait for a chance at the mystery fivestar instead.
    First-world problems, I know. icon_e_smile.gif
    I also got an Elektra cover from a heroic token today, so she's another candidate to champion if I can scrounge up 150 K ISO... Same situation as Professor X, basically.
  • Quebbster
    I opened my stash this weekend actually. Lots of good stuff in the 4-star area. For fivestars, I got three Spiderman covers (one in each color), five Phoenix covers (she went from 2/0/2 to 5/1/3) and no OML covers. Sigh.
    I may start stockpiling again now until I have collected enough ISO to level up more fourstars....
  • how many LTs did you open? (just curious about your 5* pull rate)
  • Quebbster
    jajones82 wrote:
    how many LTs did you open? (just curious about your 5* pull rate)
    More than 60, but I don't quite think I made it to 70. So my eight fivestars was a little above average actually.