How to encourage QB players to level their planeswalkers

Options
2»

Comments

• cheveedodd wrote:
    You know what would make me want to level? If the game was even remotely challenging. I dont even heal my PW until I drop below 15 health because the only time I lose is to a bad draw or lucky cascade. Facing a PW 5 levels higher than me is only mildly annoying because I have to grind through more health.

If my win percentage dropped below 70% because of these higher-level matchups, then I might consider leveling.

Have you played Story Mode? You can find plenty of challenge there.
  • Make ribbon rewards in quick battle based on a winstreak multiplier. Simplest way to do it. Ribbon multiplier should hit a max cap after a certain number of wins, so 100 game winstreaks won't become an issue and still keep it fair.
  • Keegan wrote:
    There are 20 cards in a FP, so it's about seven three-card boosters, a value of around 1500 runes.

You should visit "fatpack and 3 pack percentages and ratio" in general discussion then you will see that's not true.
    On average you need about 80 to 100 3-packs to have the same chance getting a mythic that you have with just 1 fatpack.
    Chances to get rares and uncommons are of cause way higher too with a fatpack
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    They've chosen to change it so that you get 10xlevel ribbons (rounded down, minimum 1). How do people feel about that?
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Nerimos wrote:
    Keegan wrote:
    There are 20 cards in a FP, so it's about seven three-card boosters, a value of around 1500 runes.

You should visit "fatpack and 3 pack percentages and ratio" in general discussion then you will see that's not true.
    On average you need about 80 to 100 3-packs to have the same chance getting a mythic that you have with just 1 fatpack.
    Chances to get rares and uncommons are of cause way higher too with a fatpack

I've read the thread. It's interesting, but the fact is that we won't know the percentage until the devs publish. I'll post more on this over there to not get off topic.
  • A simple solution could be to just scale the rewards and runes claimed from quick battles. Let's say if PWs from lvl. 1 thru lvl. 9 earned the standard 50~250 runes (based on relative lvl.) from quick battle. Lvl. 50 PWs should earn somewhere on a ~2x scale, and rest fall in between those numbers.

EX:
    lvl. 1 - lvl. 9 = 0 scale (normal 50 to 250 runes for QB)
    lvl. 10 - lvl. 19 = 1.2 scale
    lvl. 20 - lvl. 29 = 1.4 scale
    lvl. 30 - lvl. 39 = 1.6 scale
    lvl. 40 - lvl. 49 = 1.8 scale
    Level 50 PW = 2.0 scale

Straightforward and fair returns for choosing to level your PWs
  • halcyanide
    halcyanide Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Couldn't they just require that you have to be level 50 to do QB?
  • halcyanide wrote:

I'm sure they could have done that. I'm glad they didn't.
    This game is not well balanced at level 50. Especially black and white are better off with a level lower then 38 because of their Abilities.

Also it's hard to level 1 or more PWs to 50, especially if you are a new player.
    New players could only play story mode. They wouldn't be able to try out new PWs in qb because it's for level 50 only.
  • halcyanide wrote:

Until they allow you to play any level of the PW loyalty abilities there is no real advantage to leveling. Additionally, QBs are shorter because the smaller HP pools gained from maintaining a lower level PW, allowing for earning rewards quicker.
  • halcyanide
    halcyanide Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    kore wrote:
    Until they allow you to play any level of the PW loyalty abilities there is no real advantage to leveling. Additionally, QBs are shorter because the smaller HP pools gained from maintaining a lower level PW, allowing for earning rewards quicker.
    I get that. Their current leveling system sucks. There should be absolutely no advantage to being a lower level. But they don't need to make it so you can choose the level of your planeswalker, they just need to standardize all the abilities across the board so that it is always a strict upgrade. When you level up, the cost of your ability should never go up.

Assuming they fix that, why not make it so only level 50 can do quick battle? Who cares if new players can test out their starter decks against other people's decks? They have all of story mode to figure out their decks, and leveling to 50 doesn't take long at all. Plus then there would be some incentive to complete story mode instead of just starting straight out jumping into QB. The only real downside would be that established players would have multiple PW to rotate through for QB, but given the updated ribbon system, it wouldn't be that much different.
  • halcyanide wrote:
    But they don't need to make it so you can choose the level of your planeswalker, they just need to standardize all the abilities across the board so that it is always a strict upgrade. When you level up, the cost of your ability should never go up.
    Thats almost impossible to balance in my opinion. You have green that already has abilities that cost the same at each rank. If all other PWs would work like this green would have a disadvantage after changing.
    Blacks problem doesn't come from the costs but from rank 3 being more inefficient then rank 2. Only solution I see for making level 50 attractive to black is to change the ability in a way that the player only loses 1 card but then it would be too overpowered if rank 2 and 3 would cost the same.
    halcyanide wrote:
    They have all of story mode to figure out their decks, and leveling to 50 doesn't take long at all.
    It takes more then 40k xp to level one PW to 50. Story mode are 80 normal levels and some heroic. If I remember right you get about 600 xp per normal level. So doing story mode without heroics would level you up 1 PW if you don't fail a lot at completing quests and if you don't do a lot of rank 2 objectives. BUT only if you level just one PW ignoring the others.
    There are so many reasons to level more then one PW during story mode:
    -Lilliana sucks at low level so you have to pump lots of xp into her to really test her out
    - when you get lots of good cards for a PW that's quite a good reason to start level that PW
    - just for fun (yeah, there seems to be people that play games for fun. Crazy, I know)
    So that could lead to people completing story mode (or getting stuck in it) having not a single PW on 50.
    Also some people prefer to compete with others and wouldn't want to spend hours to be able to. So they wouldn't try out the game. Some of them would do it and then realize that you can't realy compete with others. When I played quick battle for the first time, I was really disappointed to see that I can't play against other players.
    If I would have worked hours to get to this realization, I would have deleted the app instantly for sure.
    halcyanide wrote:
    The only real downside would be that established players would have multiple PW to rotate through for QB, but given the updated ribbon system, it wouldn't be that much different.
    That's only true if you think that level 50 will be by far the best level to farm ribbons with the new system.
    I don't think that's true. Besides shorter fights, low levels have also an advantage regarding in-game heals. Creatures will heal you for the same amount of hp, no matter your PW level. So it's easier to heal up to max hp the lower your PW is and thus you don't need potions that often.
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Options
    halcyanide wrote:
    There should be absolutely no advantage to being a lower level. But they don't need to make it so you can choose the level of your planeswalker, they just need to standardize all the abilities across the board so that it is always a strict upgrade. When you level up, the cost of your ability should never go up.
    +1
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nerimos wrote:
    Story mode are 80 normal levels and some heroic. If I remember right you get about 600 xp per normal level.
    Actually you start in the early ones earning about 200 or 300 runes per match, and this gradually increases. I'm in Chapter 3 and earning about 460-ish. So the average is probably closer to 400.

So I don't think you can even level a single PW to 50 on just the story mode. That's probably part of the reason they're taking away the middle crystal reward and replacing it with more runes.

Also, good point about how healing is static, so lower level PWs heal for a greater percentage of their health. Damage is static too, though, so they also take more damage, percentage-wise.
  • loroku wrote:
    Nerimos wrote:
    Story mode are 80 normal levels and some heroic. If I remember right you get about 600 xp per normal level.
    Actually you start in the early ones earning about 200 or 300 runes per match, and this gradually increases. I'm in Chapter 3 and earning about 460-ish. So the average is probably closer to 400.

So I don't think you can even level a single PW to 50 on just the story mode. That's probably part of the reason they're taking away the middle crystal reward and replacing it with more runes.

Also, good point about how healing is static, so lower level PWs heal for a greater percentage of their health. Damage is static too, though, so they also take more damage, percentage-wise.

If you get wiped out entirely (or more likely, crash out of a match), it takes less time to get back to full health with a low level PW. They really, really need to stabilize the app if they're going to drop the heals to a max 3 in the next path.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    They said the crashes are fixed in the next patch, so let's hope that is true. I agree with you that with only 3 potions and higher leveled Planeswalkers, that crashes will be much more detrimental.