How does Ranked Play (Quick Battles) Work?

Options
I understand how players are ranked (first on wins, then on winrate), but who are you actually playing against? Certainly the planeswalkers I encounter aren't real people, as the way Quick Battle works I get to go first every game (which is a huge advantage for my Soulblade Djinn Whirler Rogue Tower Geist Tempo deck) and because they make some very simple errors.

Do I play against the AI using other people's decks? This wouldn't make sense logistically but seems to fit the patterns....

Comments

• Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do I play against the AI using other people's decks? This wouldn't make sense logistically but seems to fit the patterns....

Yes.
  • Keegan
    Keegan Posts: 284 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Time for a more proper reply.

You can find more information about the AI at the game's FAQ:

https://d3publisherofamerica.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200864076-Magic-The-Gathering-Puzzle-Quest-FAQ-.
    By more information, I mean the FAQ confirms that AI exists and is used.

To me it makes sense that it's not true PvP. You'd have to be waiting for other people, if someone was running a bot it would be soul-crushing to the other user, performance on the server for sure, etc.
  • I have kind of a side question relating to quick battles (sorry I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to simply post a new topic on this thread so i'm resorting to adding to an existing related one).

I recall reading somewhere that in quick battles you're matched with someone that's a similar planeswalker level as yourself. I am a free-2-play player so I don't have many good cards and find myself getting blown up when I use my higher level planeswalkers by other high level players with seemingly all rare and higher rarity cards.

My question is: is it correct that you get matched with similarly leveled planeswalkers? And if so, would it make sense to leave one or more of them at a relatively low level until you have a more competitive deck? I know your HP and abilities won't be the greatest but if you're matched by level they'll be in the same situation, meaning only luck and whoever has a superior deck will make a difference? I know strategy plays a role as well, but it seems to me if you're up against someone with top tier cards and you only have commons and uncommons it'll be a pretty tough battle at that point.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and sorry for hijacking this thread with a side question. <3
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    They really need to make this clear in game, it's not just that people make the wrong assumption but even when you start to suspect it's an AI it's hard to confirm. I think the only people who understand this right the first time are those coming from Marvel where it was the same system, otherwise everyone is fooled by "warning, real opponents ahead".
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    And if so, would it make sense to leave one or more of them at a relatively low level until you have a more competitive deck? I know your HP and abilities won't be the greatest but if you're matched by level they'll be in the same situation, meaning only luck and whoever has a superior deck will make a difference? I know strategy plays a role as well, but it seems to me if you're up against someone with top tier cards and you only have commons and uncommons it'll be a pretty tough battle at that point.
    You can't make a new thread in the forum until you've made at least one post already. It's an anti-spam feature.

To answer your question: yes. This is something people are complaining about, since having a lower-level planeswalker is rather advantageous, since yes, people who have leveled their PWs tend to have better decks. It also means you have less HP to chew through and in some cases, it is poorly balanced enough that making your planeswalker a higher level makes them worse. So yeah, at least until they figure out a way to mitigate this, keep some low level.