Champioining = a fun activity

mpqr7
mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I really like the champion mechanic. Before now, every time I won a 2*, 3* and many 4*s, they were simply useless. There was nothing to get excited about, unless it was a 5*.

But now, it gives me a longer metagame to do. I have championed all but the worst nine 3*s (doc oc, vision, beast, etc), but I should have even those done within the next 1-2 months.

My original goal was to champ all my 3*s then 2*s, but I'm taking a time out because now my hb is fully covered with a 14th cover, so I'll champ him. Plus my IW (???) is already at level 235, and I have 3 (!!!) of her covers in my queue, so I'll just go for it.

My point is that if you don't have any great 4*s to level up, then you should work on champing your 3*s then 2*s. But if you suddenly have a great 4* such as hb that's fully covered and with additional covers in your queue, then go for it!!!! And of course if you win a 5* that you already have highly covered, then take a break from champing to level that one up as well. If it's a mid-tier 4* such as ant man or elektra, you can keep champing your 3*s, then champ that 4* up later on, especially if you already have some great 4*s maxed out.

I champed Carnage because he pairs very well with my oml, especially when carnage has 5 blacks. As soon as a power gets used, the enemy gets punched at the end of each turn, and my oml heals all of carnage's punches. If one of my heroes uses a power, you get the bonus of oml's red making carnage's black even stronger!

I can't wait to have all 3*s and 2*s champed, because then I'll never have a useless event or heroic token again (unless it's a useless 4*, but 4*s alone are rare from those tokens).

Anyway the championing program is great, because it's fun to win prizes and watch all my characters slowly grow at their own pace, becoming more and more useful over time.

Comments

• SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree, championing is a blast!

Wish I could find the ISO to do it more often!
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Champion mechanic is an evolution in the game. I used the Daily Deadpool to transition from 2* to 3*, but the 4* component was trivial. I had maybe 20 4* covers before the champion mechanic, none of them over 7 covers - mostly 1 or 2. Since championing, I have several dozen, with 3-4 actually viable @ 7-10 covers.

It's also a valuable tool for 2-3* transitioners. Those 2* covers come pretty quick, and net 3* characters that are tough to get at that phase of the game.

That said, I've yet to level any of my 4* characters. Championing is expensive. Also a little stressful - Several times in the past month I've been in the situation where I have a champion-worthy cover for a character that isn't maxed out. KK was an easy call, but I've also maxed out IM40 (amassed 3 spare covers for him), and I'm working on Quicksilver. I would not have expended the Iso on them were it not for championing. But it's oh-so-gratifying to hit that deadline when you're close to losing those covers. Barely squeaking out a champ with a few hours to exipiration is a tiny bit magical.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I agree, championing is a blast!

Wish I could find the ISO to do it more often!

this is why i thought it would been better if champ started at 13 covers instead of 166.. would of allow a lot more people to champion, the remove of teh 20 ISO is a start to get the ball moving faster BUT they need to add a lot more ISO into this game to really get the game moving.

also would love to see them ADD on it

people i max

Kahn since had 5 covers
    Cage since had 3 extras

people thinking of

3 star cy or 3 star thor.. everyone else be over 100K to max.... my 4 stars are like 250k to max
  • likwid6
    likwid6 Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Calnexin wrote:
    The Champion mechanic is an evolution in the game. I used the Daily Deadpool to transition from 2* to 3*, but the 4* component was trivial. I had maybe 20 4* covers before the champion mechanic, none of them over 7 covers - mostly 1 or 2. Since championing, I have several dozen, with 3-4 actually viable @ 7-10 covers.

It's also a valuable tool for 2-3* transitioners. Those 2* covers come pretty quick, and net 3* characters that are tough to get at that phase of the game.

That said, I've yet to level any of my 4* characters. Championing is expensive. Also a little stressful - Several times in the past month I've been in the situation where I have a champion-worthy cover for a character that isn't maxed out. KK was an easy call, but I've also maxed out IM40 (amassed 3 spare covers for him), and I'm working on Quicksilver. I would not have expended the Iso on them were it not for championing. But it's oh-so-gratifying to hit that deadline when you're close to losing those covers. Barely squeaking out a champ with a few hours to exipiration is a tiny bit magical.

Bolded the parts that speak specifically to me.

I think Championing along with the 4*DDP Clash of Titans were the two biggest things to help/force my transition. Before CoT I never leveled any of my 4*s and had all my 3*s parked at 120 to help with PVE scaling. CoT pushed me to creep up the levels for those oh-so-tempting LTs, and Championing sealed the deal for all the close-but-not-yet-there 3*s I had sitting in the 130~150 range.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,580 Chairperson of the Boards
    slidecage wrote:
    this is why i thought it would been better if champ started at 13 covers instead of 166.. would of allow a lot more people to champion, the remove of teh 20 ISO is a start to get the ball moving faster BUT they need to add a lot more ISO into this game to really get the game moving.

The whole point of championing in its current form is to encourage people to not softcap characters and to take them to max level, assuming they won't drastically increase the amount of iso in the game, they should do something to increase the value of 3 star covers that somebody will have no chance to use in championing (too many others in the queue or a 6th cover for a maxed colour on a <13 cover character) and let them use the cover for a level up on that character.
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    They're addressing the ISO problem bit-by-bit. A one-time injection of 15,000 extra ISO into the Prologue; more rewards on PVE nodes (with the tradeoff of no more 20 ISO farming), to name but two.

If they were to rebalance the Taco Token rewards to replace some of the 2* covers with more 1500 ISO prizes, this would help a lot too.
  • mpqr7
    It's definitely tough because at any point, you have a large amount of characters, and you can only champion one of them at a time. In a sense though, that creates a long term goal. So since I have nine 3*s remaining, say I win covers for four of them, I just have to realize that I'll only be able to champion one of them, and I'll need to throw away the covers of the other three if I just can't do them in time. And that's okay!! I'll get more of those covers later.

Championing is nice, because it forces you to focus. There's no point in leveling up five characters at a time, a few levels each. Instead it's nice to just zone in on a single character (even if it's IW, which I'm doing now...) and hit that goal, so then you'll never need to worry again when you receive another one of their covers. Instead of sadness, you feel glee!
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just got my Astonishing Wolverine to level 141. I'm actually a bit sad since that means I no longer have any use for those covers and have to sell them again...
  • mpqr7
    Well, you can always start over again with a second 2* Wolverine! That's probably what I'll do in the long term. Start championing my 2*s again to get the extra covers and cp. That cp is hard to find! And it's the only way to win more 5*s, so in the end, it's worth it, even for the extra iso cost of maxing them out again. When I'm championing one Wolverine, I'll sell my old max champed Wolverine so that I'll continue to have enough roster space.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    mpqr7 wrote:
    Well, you can always start over again with a second 2* Wolverine! That's probably what I'll do in the long term. Start championing my 2*s again to get the extra covers and cp. That cp is hard to find! And it's the only way to win more 5*s, so in the end, it's worth it, even for the extra iso cost of maxing them out again. When I'm championing one Wolverine, I'll sell my old max champed Wolverine so that I'll continue to have enough roster space.
    Yeah... no. My ISO needs to go to my fourstars. Deadpool is next up to go to 270.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I just got my Astonishing Wolverine to level 141. I'm actually a bit sad since that means I no longer have any use for those covers and have to sell them again...
    Mine are approaching 140 as well and I was having the same thought. It still hurts a little the sheer magnitude of ares and 2* daken covers I've sold in the last month, but it's just not worth 60k iso to max them out when the return is not that great. It'll make tokens a little less fun sadly, but what can you do?
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    mohio wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    Mine are approaching 140 as well and I was having the same thought. It still hurts a little the sheer magnitude of ares and 2* daken covers I've sold in the last month, but it's just not worth 60k iso to max them out when the return is not that great. It'll make tokens a little less fun sadly, but what can you do?

Same here, my Thor went to 144 last week and my Storm, Ares, and OBW are 139, 140, and 141...likely all will be maxed with LR's this week. I was most disappointed that it means no more CP! Imagine if you could cash in 2* tokens for 1CP each beyond 144? I'd be rostering/maxing every 2* again!
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    If it costs 60k to max a 2* and at 144 they sell for what, 15k + some HP? You're only really spending 45k Iso and in return you're getting three 3* covers, the CP, and some other random stuff.

Definitely not for people working on the end of their 4* transition, but for people in the midst of it, and for people who are done with it, 3-5 days worth of Iso seems very worth it.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like it too but all it's done it widen the gap even further. Before I could work on getting my characters to 166 and fight on an even footing. Now by the time I get all my 3's to 166 or a good portion of them they will have pulled further away.

To combat that they should allow a couple of hundred covers to stay in your inventory forever. That way when I get there I can use them up on each character. All that happens is the people above pick the covers up faster anyway, can already champ them and dissapear from reach.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    this was, is, and will always be a time/money game. those who've put in the most time and money will lead the way. of those who are f2p, time is the only variable and champs help vets more than newer players for sure. but it should really be that way anyway. newer players can accelerate their roster with cash, but not as much now as they used to be able to do. I did some roster acceleration, but the iso is the real limiting variable there. when champing hit, the game was getting very stale for many vets and some had moved on already. champing has actually brought a handful of those back. I'm no vet with everything maxed, but I like the champing mechanic.
  • westnyy2
    westnyy2 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    I quickly champed my leveled 2 stars and quickly finished them. It is sad to sell all the covers again. What I have done is start new 2*. I agree the cost isn't worth it to level a two when my 4's need a lot of love but what I have done is select 2 (Hawkeye and Moonstone) and raise them each 1 level per day after completing the DDQ. In my mind it makes it easier to control and I still have that false sense of progression.