champion respec and pvp defense

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Since championing makes respects much easier, it has become important to know how respecs interact with PvP defense.

Say I climb with a 5/5/3 Luke cage to save healthpack, but want to respec to the much more damaging 5/3/5 build for defense. Do I need to switch before my last match, or can I respec after I shield? (obviousl retal nodes are different).

This would also matter for xpool (especially if you use him xfw) since 5 black is so much more effective on defense.

Comments

• Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    People who Q you after you've won a match with the respec will see the new spec. Those who've Q you before the respec will see the previous spec.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, best Luke Cage defense would be 3/5/5. Yellow nuke is nice, but it's often better spent elsewhere.
  • Vhailorx
    Also, best Luke Cage defense would be 3/5/5. Yellow nuke is nice, but it's often better spent elsewhere.

Disagree. On defense saving health doesn't matter. And his protect tile at 3 is enough to slow things down. 5/3/5 means he puts out much more damage and is the real deterrent on defense (being painful enough to merit a slip as high as possible).
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Vhailorx wrote:

Disagree. On defense saving health doesn't matter. And his protect tile at 3 is enough to slow things down. 5/3/5 means he puts out much more damage and is the real deterrent on defense (being painful enough to merit a slip as high as possible).

If the attacking team includes a Carnage, I think you'll find that a 5th tier yellow for Cage makes a world of difference for your defense.
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    In general I feel that Luke Cage is sorta bad on defense and I like him as a target. He's almost harmless since the AI can't play him well and the protect tile isn't all that much. I mean, yeah, it means that you match damage won't do much (until you get strike tiles) but I don't expect match damage to do much anyway. Cage with Loki or Hood is annoying, though, and those I avoid.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    can I respec after I shield?
    No, you need to win a match with the spec you want.
  • Vhailorx
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    can I respec after I shield?
    No, you need to win a match with the spec you want.

Thanks! That's the answer to my question.

Also, re: cage on Defense. I agree that he is no longer as powerful as he was at release given the 4*/5* power creep. But his defensive value was mainly in extending matches so that other characters on your team could survive long enough to do their own things (e.g. hood or loki). And IMO 3 red did that just about a well as 5 red on defense (though on offense I really did appreciate that extra defense to save on health packs), so a little extra damage was always welcome

It may be that with 4* powers' damage output and the wildly higher match damage and health pools of 4* champs and 5*s, the my impression of cage is out of date.