Polarity's Guide on Going From 1* to 3* (Updated: 1/22/15)

Comments

• NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    HairyDave wrote:
    kensterr wrote:
    Double nerf on Spidey now, and also nerf on OBW. So what are the best teams given the current state of the game?

Been really busy due to summer internship and such. Spidey seems pretty unplayable nowadays. OBW is still one of the best two stars in the game: her offensive strength was never her heal, but recon / espionage, which hasn't been nerfed.

I'd agree that her real strength was AP stealing but you can't deny that her ability to sustain a team through multiple matches (whether through prologue healing or a quick "victory-lap" hit from AGD) wasn't a huge part of her appeal. It's certainly why I (ab)used her - that and the fact Punisher & Psyduck are my two best covered 3*s and Espionage works so very well with them.

It definitely was. Im just saying that this nerf doesnt really change obws place in the 2* tier list since shes still the o ly good 2* support character in those colors. The only thing i guess this changes is that people with 3* heroes who were using obw might just use another 3* instead of her now that she cant sustain a push.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've saved up another OBW at 5/3/5 as an extra since I got so many of her covers from PVP and PVE. Once I have enough ISO I will level her up. icon_razz.gif
  • SnakesArrows
    SnakesArrows Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    Not sure if should post here or new topic. First thank you for the Guide 1 to 3*. Very informative and helpful.

Post "true healing" are there any changes that you would make to the Guide. My specifics are that i am in the 2 to 3 transition period. Been working it forever it seems. Finally got Punisher up to full cover and soft capped around 120. I also have Patch about full with 11 covers.

First question seems obvious, but i will ask: Should i respec when able to go with five yellow on Patch. Had more green so went that way, but with healing and time in game post "true healing" change i would believe that five yellow are best build here. His discussion on the Character section was largely split on the best build pre-"True Healing" but i would think that the shift would push to 3/5/5.

Second question is more general: The previous advice seemed to be to focus on leveling up 3* characters when they could get past 100 and keep focus on that one until very high or even 141 before leveling additional characters. However, with the post "true healing" change would it be better to spread out the levels/ISO to all 3*'s that can get over 100 evenly so you have more options in events and can sustain longer play. I have Psy, Hulk, Gray BW and as mentioned Patch close to being able to level to 100. I guess this would apply to the 2* characters that got left behind. For me i leveled OBW, 2* Thor, Ares, Daken and Wolverine. I have max covers for other playable 2*'s such as CStorm, Mags, MHawkeye (okay somewhat playable). Other option is to save the multitudes of Ares, OBW and Thor 2* covers that i get and build a second team. That would take longer and be more boring but probably long term better option?

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    I'm in a similar position and I think that while it seems tempting, duplicates are a bad idea. I'm not even sure pumping ISO into the second and third-rate 2*s is such a good idea either.

Save the ISO for the 3*s but like you're thinking, apply it evenly across the roster. I'm wishing I'd done that now and I've at least got a semi-usable stable of Punisher, Patch, Psylocke and Mags.
  • NorthernPolarity
    What to do now in the 2*->3* transition phase is kinda up in the air right now, since ive been seeing reports of people with new 3*s suddenly seeing full 3* teams, which may or may not be true. I still dont think that spreading out iso is a good idea unless you have a ton of iso and just have all your 3*s level capped at 100 or something. I still think that 2 141s is a lot better than 4 100s simply due to the intimidation factor. I dont like the argument of roster diversity because all the 2 extra 100s are doing for you is giving you 2 extra health packs every 5 hours. Id much rather have 10 health packs to spend on 2 141s than 12 health packs to spend on level 100s, if that makes sense. After you get your core team of 141s, thrn diversity might be more important.

Regarding patch, i think the builds were always either 5/3/5 or 3/5/5 unless youre suicidal like phantron. Go 5 green if you have c mags with 5 red, and 5 red otherwise as a general rule of thumb.
  • HairyDave wrote:
    kensterr wrote:
    Double nerf on Spidey now, and also nerf on OBW. So what are the best teams given the current state of the game?

Been really busy due to summer internship and such. Spidey seems pretty unplayable nowadays. OBW is still one of the best two stars in the game: her offensive strength was never her heal, but recon / espionage, which hasn't been nerfed.

I'd agree that her real strength was AP stealing but you can't deny that her ability to sustain a team through multiple matches (whether through prologue healing or a quick "victory-lap" hit from AGD) wasn't a huge part of her appeal. It's certainly why I (ab)used her - that and the fact Punisher & Psyduck are my two best covered 3*s and Espionage works so very well with them.

It definitely was. Im just saying that this nerf doesnt really change obws place in the 2* tier list since shes still the o ly good 2* support character in those colors. The only thing i guess this changes is that people with 3* heroes who were using obw might just use another 3* instead of her now that she cant sustain a push.

Yep. Hello, 105 LDaken. How glad I am I decided to concentrate on you for 3* #2.
  • ThatOneGuyjp189512
    ThatOneGuyjp189512 Posts: 543 Critical Contributor
    my patch is 3/5/5(the safe build) and the only reason i did that was cause my Cmags is 5/3/5(i like the pink nuke more than the gonna be nerfed red) and i like it so far, cause the green's damage is maximized and anything past 3 just adds more strike tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    After doing a bit of research, i think im convinced that the optimal strategy for the 2->3* transition is to wait until you can max out a core team of two 3* characters entirely, and just do not pump ANY iso into ANY 3* before then. Current theory is that the floor where you start to see 3* rosters lowers as the strongest guy in your roster gets stronger.
    Example: say youre at a random mmr. The game then looks at your strongest guy/team. If that guy is a level 85 2*, then the game makes it so that you only see 3* players at say 700 points +. If that guy is a level 100 3*, then youll start to see 3*s at 400+ points. I dont mnow the exact numbers or if leveling 3*s to 85 or something would result in this as well, so the safest thing to do would be to just stick with a 2* roster until you have enough iso/covers to completely transition into a maxed out 3* team, and just completely avoid pumping heavy amounts of iso into your 3* guys before then. Ill update guide sometime this weekend with that information. That makes what to do when your featured hero is buffed tricky: if lumping 3* characters to level 70 or so doesnt affect this floor then itd be optimal to just do that but its hard to say since one wrong move means that you run into a wall of 141s during your transition.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    I dont mnow the exact numbers or if leveling 3*s to 85 or something would result in this as well, so the safest thing to do would be to just stick with a 2* roster until you have enough iso/covers to completely transition into a maxed out 3* team, and just completely avoid pumping heavy amounts of iso into your 3* guys before then.

That would take a hell of a lot more patience than I have icon_lol.gif

(Assuming you have the covers, pushing 3 L85s to 141 takes just under 400K in ISO or something like that)
  • Tharos
    Tharos Posts: 129
    After doing a bit of research, i think im convinced that the optimal strategy for the 2->3* transition is to wait until you can max out a core team of two 3* characters entirely, and just do not pump ANY iso into ANY 3* before then. Current theory is that the floor where you start to see 3* rosters lowers as the strongest guy in your roster gets stronger.
    Example: say youre at a random mmr. The game then looks at your strongest guy/team. If that guy is a level 85 2*, then the game makes it so that you only see 3* players at say 700 points +. If that guy is a level 100 3*, then youll start to see 3*s at 400+ points. I dont mnow the exact numbers or if leveling 3*s to 85 or something would result in this as well, so the safest thing to do would be to just stick with a 2* roster until you have enough iso/covers to completely transition into a maxed out 3* team, and just completely avoid pumping heavy amounts of iso into your 3* guys before then. Ill update guide sometime this weekend with that information. That makes what to do when your featured hero is buffed tricky: if lumping 3* characters to level 70 or so doesnt affect this floor then itd be optimal to just do that but its hard to say since one wrong move means that you run into a wall of 141s during your transition.

It is not this simple. When I had only punisher at level 115, and all my 3* way below 85, I always had featured/85/85 in front of me.
    Then, I won 4/5 3* covers in very little times (the pve with the 3* BP covers, one hulk, and I do not remember the other one): BP and Hulk were capped at level 89 and 102 respectively, but I did not leveled them. But without spending any iso on my chars, I started facing 3* around level 100/115, having done nothing other that winning covers.

I used HP to level punisher to 141 => facing almost only 212/141/141.

Then, following an advice on this forum, I tanked a little. My opponents levels dropped to have only 85 or some levels 100.
    Two weeks later, my still without leveling my chars, my opponents levels slowly but constantly. Before the true heal thing and I stopped playing, it was 115/128 all the time.

So I really feel that levelling chars is only a part of the equation. The mmr takes a huge part on opponent levels too.
  • kolonel
    kolonel Posts: 23
    Given the changes to the healing and the inevitable shift in the transitioning period, with the wolverine family getting significantly more useful, I am suggesting that you change the title to reflect when changes are made to the main post, such as adding V.2 (post healing) or something that indicates a change in the main content of your guide.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Updated Punisher, Spidey, Falcon sections. Added a team composition, added LazyDaken.
  • NorthernPolarity
    kolonel wrote:
    Given the changes to the healing and the inevitable shift in the transitioning period, with the wolverine family getting significantly more useful, I am suggesting that you change the title to reflect when changes are made to the main post, such as adding V.2 (post healing) or something that indicates a change in the main content of your guide.

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I normally just post changelogs here with updates, but I'll add a timestamp to the title as well. Speaking of which, added sentry/mostorm/she-hulk and some more team compositions. Moved human torch up in the rankings. Feel free to post opinions on these newer heroes since I haven't maxed them out yet and am basing the analysis just off of theory and what the general consensus seems to be.
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    It doesn't seem like you've updated stages 1 or 2 at all since the change to 1 and 2* cover drops from pvp matches. Because of this I would emphasize lightning rounds even more since getting in extra matches against these easy opponents is going to eventually mean a lot more covers. Also because you can get so many more covers fairly quickly the iso is even more important.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    When you make an update to the original post can you also add the text to a new post? For someone who's already read the entire guide (a couple of times) it would be very helpful.
  • NorthernPolarity
    vudu3 wrote:
    When you make an update to the original post can you also add the text to a new post? For someone who's already read the entire guide (a couple of times) it would be very helpful.

Great idea, will do.
    mohio wrote:
    It doesn't seem like you've updated stages 1 or 2 at all since the change to 1 and 2* cover drops from pvp matches. Because of this I would emphasize lightning rounds even more since getting in extra matches against these easy opponents is going to eventually mean a lot more covers. Also because you can get so many more covers fairly quickly the iso is even more important.

I think they stealth nerfed LR cover acquisition so it's not as important now as it was say a week ago.

Also regarding the MMR thing, IceIX explained that leveling a 3* guy was only correlated to your MMR increasing, and that there isn't a hidden variable based off of your character's levels, which means that the current strategy is fine as is. Maybe I should add a warning saying that leveling a guy could cause ppl to attack you less and put you out of the bubble, but eh.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    What stealth nerf cover acquisition? Just got some assorted 1*s and 2*s from LRs, as usual.
  • CallTheStorm
    CallTheStorm Posts: 63 Match Maker
    This post is really helpful. Great job.
    Thanks a lot.
  • I am feeling so discouraged in this game lately. Aside from the new 2* HT, the only covers I need are ones for Hawkeye (Not putting Bagman on my roster). I never know the 'right' way to play PvE, so I always miss out on the 3* covers. And in PvP... for a little while I was actually having some luck and getting 2 3* covers, and I think even once I got to a level with 3 of them. But now I can't get anywhere near it. After seed teams, it's pretty much nothing but teams at least 50 levels higher than my highest leveled character. So it feels like it's absolutely impossible to make any actual progress in the game. And since I'm in an Alliance with only 8 members, I have no reason to even bother looking at the Alliance Rewards.

I'm hoping if I read through this guide a little more in depth, I'll figure out... something I can do to start making progress again...
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    RichHurtz wrote:
    I am feeling so discouraged in this game lately. Aside from the new 2* HT, the only covers I need are ones for Hawkeye (Not putting Bagman on my roster). I never know the 'right' way to play PvE, so I always miss out on the 3* covers. And in PvP... for a little while I was actually having some luck and getting 2 3* covers, and I think even once I got to a level with 3 of them. But now I can't get anywhere near it. After seed teams, it's pretty much nothing but teams at least 50 levels higher than my highest leveled character. So it feels like it's absolutely impossible to make any actual progress in the game. And since I'm in an Alliance with only 8 members, I have no reason to even bother looking at the Alliance Rewards.

I'm hoping if I read through this guide a little more in depth, I'll figure out... something I can do to start making progress again...

If PvE is an issue, you should read this one. Anytime I followed it I did very well, granted that was before they started showing the count down to full points (did that actually change this or is it only in my head?)
    viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5304