"or less" instead of "or fewer"

Options
loroku
loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
This game messes up the use of the word "less" every single time that I've seen it used. To indicate a smaller quantity, you say "fewer", not "less" - as in, "3 or fewer," not "3 or less." It's a fairly common grammar error ("10 items or less" lines mess it up, too) but the sheer number of times this game uses it incorrectly is impressive. Many cards have this verbiage and nearly every single "story" match uses it for their bonus objectives. I think you could find/replace "less" for "fewer" and come out ahead. icon_e_smile.gif

Comments

• mlktws
    mlktws Posts: 26
    Options
    It's not a hard and fast rule. It may be irksome, but it's fine.

The use of "it's" is often incorrect, though. Maybe gripe about that, instead.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ugh now a third thread on this non-issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fewer_vs._less
    "this rule does not correctly describe the most common usage of today or the past and in fact arose as an incorrect generalization of a personal preference expressed by a grammarian in 1770."

This is not a rule that needs enforcing it is a disease which needs curing.
  • loroku
    Options
    I thought you descriptive grammarians weren't rules-enforcers, but it seems you're just as irked by a prescriptive perspective. icon_e_smile.gif (Or maybe you're a prescriptive grammarian in disguise, except you believe the proper rule is "don't follow this rule?" Yes, if something "is a disease," I'm pretty sure this is the case.)

Either way, fair enough. I will grant that there are bugs worse than this to be attended to. icon_e_smile.gif
  • mlktws
    Options
    Neither of us said anything which indicates conclusively that we are descriptivists or prescriptivists; we both pointed out that the less/fewer quibble isn't based on a true rule. If you're to consider yourself a prescriptivist, you should better acquaint yourself with what is and isn't to be prescribed.
  • loroku
    Options
    mlktws wrote:
    Neither of us said anything which indicates conclusively that we are descriptivists or prescriptivists; we both pointed out that the less/fewer quibble isn't based on a true rule. If you're to consider yourself a prescriptivist, you should better acquaint yourself with what is and isn't to be prescribed.
    We're wildly off topic, but a) I don't, and b) that's just what a descriptivist would say! icon_e_wink.gif
  • mlktws
    Options
    1) The topic was grammar; we have not gone wildly off-topic. Off-topic from the game, oh fer sher, but from the post? I don't see that we have. Any off-topic-goings rests on you for bringing up grammar. Just saying icon_e_wink.gif
    2) You seemed to ally yourself with prescriptivists when you set yourself apart from descriptivists. Despite my stance, I assumed you were one or the other. I'm sorry for making us donkeys icon_razz.gif Out of curiosity: if you're neither a prescriptivist nor a descriptivist, as what do you consider yourself?
    3) It's what anyone with a knowledge of or interest in grammar, and a liking for correctness might say; it doesn't imply either descriptivism or prescriptivism, and for the record, I'm neither.
    4) My previous thumbs-up was for being aware that there are such things as prescriptivism and descriptivism, not for any specific content in your posts.
    Yay, grammar and kindred spirits.