My only real beef with the game

Options
wirius
wirius Posts: 667
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Why oh WHY are the top progression awards listed if they are practically impossible to win?

I've been fortunate to have time to do the pve event every reset, and I have the character levels to beat em all at least once through one round of healthpacks.

Yeah. That 15000 level punisher? Not happening.

Am I missing something? Same with the tourney's too. You always see this excellent end progression that NO one can get.

If we can't get it, can we just remove it? Or hell, lower the ceiling so that some can actually arrive there? It just silly right now, and your game has shown quality beyond that. You're better that that dev team!

Comments

• kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    /start sarcasm
    They want people to grind for few hours until the missions are worth 1 point.
    /end sarcasm
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I believe some people are getting it. Even the daredevil major buffed one IceIX said some people achieved the top rewards.

I think they are meant for a small portion of dedicated grinders.
    Maybe less people than they want get them, but I'm sure some people do.
  • wirius
    Options
    eidehua wrote:
    I believe some people are getting it. Even the daredevil major buffed one IceIX said some people achieved the top rewards.

Well that makes me feel better. I guess as my roster becomes greater, it'll actually be possible for pve. Have you heard of people obtaining the top progression rewards in pvp?
  • wirius wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

Well that makes me feel better. I guess as my roster becomes greater, it'll actually be possible for pve. Have you heard of people obtaining the top progression rewards in pvp?

It takes more than one person willing to shield and climb to get there in PVP (in my opinion) for example, in the last Elite tournament, the tournament's top 4 ended up with 2400+ points. So getting the 1400 point progression reward is possible, but there needs to be multiple people wanting to get it and using shields heavily.
  • RangoFett wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

It takes more than one person willing to shield and climb to get there in PVP (in my opinion) for example, in the last Elite tournament, the tournament's top 4 ended up with 2400+ points. So getting the 1400 point progression reward is possible, but there needs to be multiple people wanting to get it and using shields heavily.

For the mathematically inclined, think of it this way:

The progressions rewards on tournaments can be considered payouts under a bell curve. The PvP character progression rewards probably serve as the closest visible analogous relationship to this.

+1 Sigma (31.7% achieve) - the 300 point Heroic event token pull. This number may at first seem low, but when you think about the people tanking, newbies without healing, late "last-hour" pushers, and the 10-15 fights (now towards 15 or more with victory bonus taking away high point matches), this number does not seem that far fetched.

+2 Sigma (4.5% achieve) - the 700 point 2** cover reward. Think about this. How many people in a bracket actually score this high? Top 5 usually? That's 30-35 wins + however many needed to recoup retaliation losses.

+3 Sigma (0.3% achieve) - the 1200 point 3*** cover reward. Achieving this is technically possible, but requires either such an absurdly low MMR to avoid the radars of the players with triple 141s, who routinely place in the 800-1000ish range or Shield-crawling up the ladder, as there simply isn't enough people who scale the ladder high enough to fight at 20+ points to achieve this type of rating consistantly.

+4 Sigma (0.0006% achieve) - the 1400 point 4**** cover reward Well, its a non-zero probability, but this is starting to get in the realm of being struck by lightning. Someone, somewhere, one crazy person is actually shield-crawling past 1200 to reach 1400, but that has to be so, so, painful. Sometimes, no one reaches this goal. This is as intended. A "legendary" prize, which requires a truly legendary (insane to most people) effort to achieve.

PvE progressions work in the same way. The devs clearly have a budget in which they control the rate at which people gain ISO. Yet, you see progression rewards such as 2000 and 8000 ISO that are obtainable. Similarly, you can replace the hero cover reward from PvP with the Hero Point rewards.

+2 Sigma - the 50,000 point HP reward.
    +3 Sigma - the 90,000 point HP reward.
    +4 Sigma - the 150,000 point last Punisher reward.

The two giant HP rewards are past the +3 Sigma mark. The devs know that less than 1% of the player base is ever going to reach these rewards, thus they are not gamebreaking to the economy as a whole.

Similarly, this is explains why the "moneyfights" in the subs for the Simulator and the current story event keep decreasing; too many people are achieving them to justify their payout in accordance with the planned ISO budget. At 5,000 ISO, the devs probably thought the fight would be unbeatable. But, it was. So, they lowered the payout to 1,000/2,500. Still too many people achieving those payouts. So, now, we have a situation where hard is worth 1,000 and if easy ever unlocks for a sub, my expectations is that it is only worth 500 ISO at best to fit within the planned ISO payout budget.

Hope this explains the situation a bit better.
  • And also the tourneys are usually a week long!! Long enuff to earn the top tier prizes for the active players. U want the prizes? Get on ur grind! U play once a day thru your 5 health packs and complain cuz u didn't get a top prize ppppffffftttttttt............
  • What is funny with this event is we can't get extra missions in easy mode cause the objective is imposible to reach icon_lol.gif

Then top rewards are more imposible to get too icon_rolleyes.gif

I hope this event will change cause repeating the same things 10 days in a row is so boring and fight lv 230 is too long and exhausting ...
  • wirius
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    RangoFett wrote:
    wirius wrote:
    eidehua wrote:

For the mathematically inclined, think of it this way:

The progressions rewards on tournaments can be considered payouts under a bell curve. The PvP character progression rewards probably serve as the closest visible analogous relationship to this.

+1 Sigma (31.7% achieve) - the 300 point Heroic event token pull. This number may at first seem low, but when you think about the people tanking, newbies without healing, late "last-hour" pushers, and the 10-15 fights (now towards 15 or more with victory bonus taking away high point matches), this number does not seem that far fetched.

+2 Sigma (4.5% achieve) - the 700 point 2** cover reward. Think about this. How many people in a bracket actually score this high? Top 5 usually? That's 30-35 wins + however many needed to recoup retaliation losses.

+3 Sigma (0.3% achieve) - the 1200 point 3*** cover reward. Achieving this is technically possible, but requires either such an absurdly low MMR to avoid the radars of the players with triple 141s, who routinely place in the 800-1000ish range or Shield-crawling up the ladder, as there simply isn't enough people who scale the ladder high enough to fight at 20+ points to achieve this type of rating consistantly.

+4 Sigma (0.0006% achieve) - the 1400 point 4**** cover reward Well, its a non-zero probability, but this is starting to get in the realm of being struck by lightning. Someone, somewhere, one crazy person is actually shield-crawling past 1200 to reach 1400, but that has to be so, so, painful. Sometimes, no one reaches this goal. This is as intended. A "legendary" prize, which requires a truly legendary (insane to most people) effort to achieve.

PvE progressions work in the same way. The devs clearly have a budget in which they control the rate at which people gain ISO. Yet, you see progression rewards such as 2000 and 8000 ISO that are obtainable. Similarly, you can replace the hero cover reward from PvP with the Hero Point rewards.

+2 Sigma - the 50,000 point HP reward.
    +3 Sigma - the 90,000 point HP reward.
    +4 Sigma - the 150,000 point last Punisher reward.

The two giant HP rewards are past the +3 Sigma mark. The devs know that less than 1% of the player base is ever going to reach these rewards, thus they are not gamebreaking to the economy as a whole.

Similarly, this is explains why the "moneyfights" in the subs for the Simulator and the current story event keep decreasing; too many people are achieving them to justify their payout in accordance with the planned ISO budget. At 5,000 ISO, the devs probably thought the fight would be unbeatable. But, it was. So, they lowered the payout to 1,000/2,500. Still too many people achieving those payouts. So, now, we have a situation where hard is worth 1,000 and if easy ever unlocks for a sub, my expectations is that it is only worth 500 ISO at best to fit within the planned ISO payout budget.

Hope this explains the situation a bit better.

This was amazingly detailed and awesome. Thanks for taking the time!