Do devs want to play us worse than we can?

Unknown
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Why should enemies scale faster if you beat a node with much HP left compared to winning a node when your team is almost dead?
If you start with a lucky board to get some cascades, you are basically punished for it in the next node.
So you are forced to just make some dull moves on the board until enemy countdown tiles trigger and hit you for a couple thousand damage so your next node stays possible.
This is the most ridicilous system i have ever seen in any game.

Comments

• Uthgarprime
    Uthgarprime Posts: 202 Tile Toppler
    What do you expect, these are the same geniuses that said we were suppose to lose in the Galactus event. Of course you should be punished for doing well, isn't that how all video games work.
  • wirius
    wirius Posts: 667
    Frasaria, the game is not designed for you to win, its designed for you to lose. The better you do and the more awesome your roster, the more challenging the game becomes by putting you in brackets to compete with the people of your level. To win, you have to overcome the constant challenge of competition the game throws at you. Some people really like that, others hate it. The thing it DOES do is keep you wanting more power. If you want more power, you have a goal to work for, the next shiny *. And yes, once you get it, things will be easier for a time. Then its right back to needing more power again.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    What do you expect, these are the same geniuses that said we were suppose to lose in the Galactus event. Of course you should be punished for doing well, isn't that how all video games work.

Yeah because obviously Galactus, the eater of worlds, whom a fraction of the power he wields is a character on the highest tier in the game, as strong as the Allfather himself and just below the ranks of Lord Chaos and Master Order whom are the literal embodiment of forces which form the fabric of the multiverse...
    Obviously that guy should fall over with no trouble at all.

How dare they assume that a cosmic being was supposed to be strong? What were they thinking? icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:

Yeah because obviously Galactus, the eater of worlds, whom a fraction of the power he wields is a character on the highest tier in the game, as strong as the Allfather himself and just below the ranks of Lord Chaos and Master Order whom are the literal embodiment of forces which form the fabric of the multiverse...

How dare they assume that a cosmic being was supposed to be strong? What were they thinking? icon_rolleyes.gif

You can beat the stuffing out of him with your bare hands with street-level heroes in Marvel versus Capcom 3 as well. When you use a character like this in a video game at all (and whether you should or not is a wholly different discussion), comic book/canon power levels need to take a back seat to playability and, dare I say it, the fun factor. The very first incarnation of Galactus was probably as close to canon power levels as he has been in this game, and it was also probably the most frustrating, unpleasant play experience MPQ has ever had, because chipping away at a huge health bar with fights that last 4-5 rounds in a game that has limited respawns (unless you throw money at it) and multiple events running at the same time simply doesn't work.

Likewise, punishing a player for doing well by increasing scaling when he doesn't take enough damage isn't good game design either. PvE node scaling should only take the character levels in your roster into account, and should remain constant for Gauntlet and possibly go up a little after each completed run in a normal PvE. Post-fight health levels should not come into the equation at all.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:

Which makes all the sanse in the world when you're telling a story.

It *doesn't* make sense, however, when you're playing a game. Is it fun to play a game knowing you're going to lose? How many people go into an activity knowing they're going to lose and little good will come out of it?

The player should ultimately win, and when you not only lose but have to pay money to buy health packs to try again, that's when things became very, very lame. Would have been bad enough if Galactus just smacked you aside but your characters were restored to full health afterwards.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Der_Lex wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

You can beat the stuffing out of him with your bare hands with street-level heroes in Marvel versus Capcom 3 as well. When you use a character like this in a video game at all (and whether you should or not is a wholly different discussion), comic book/canon power levels need to take a back seat to playability and, dare I say it, the fun factor. The very first incarnation of Galactus was probably as close to canon power levels as he has been in this game, and it was also probably the most frustrating, unpleasant play experience MPQ has ever had, because chipping away at a huge health bar with fights that last 4-5 rounds in a game that has limited respawns (unless you throw money at it) and multiple events running at the same time simply doesn't work.

Likewise, punishing a player for doing well by increasing scaling when he doesn't take enough damage isn't good game design either. PvE node scaling should only take the character levels in your roster into account, and should remain constant for Gauntlet and possibly go up a little after each completed run in a normal PvE. Post-fight health levels should not come into the equation at all.

In fairness, Haggar is mayor of earth for a reason.

Otherwise, I personally was fond of the first incarnation of Galactus. I rather liked that, for once, you had a fight that wasn't made to simply be done and ignored until the cycle refreshed. Its an unpopular opinion, but I'm a stickler for lore. Its genuinely bothersome when people look at the guy with the power cosmic in one hand and the ultimate nullifier in the other and think to themselves "I should be handling this guy like he is ultron".
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:

In fairness, Haggar is mayor of earth for a reason.

Otherwise, I personally was fond of the first incarnation of Galactus. I rather liked that, for once, you had a fight that wasn't made to simply be done and ignored until the cycle refreshed. Its an unpopular opinion, but I'm a stickler for lore. Its genuinely bothersome when people look at the guy with the power cosmic in one hand and the ultimate nullifier in the other and think to themselves "I should be handling this guy like he is ultron".

I guess if you want a similar experience, slam your head into a wall for a few hours in order to go through the door.

Should produce galactus 1 experiences.

I can tell you, you are super duper unique in your views here.

We don't play this for lore if so there are plenty of other things to point the finger at long before galactus.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    *Mayor Of EARF