Has something changed in PvP? I'm getting stomped on.

Dragon_Nexus
Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Seriously, Black Panther has been the hardest PvP this season. Same slice as always, slice 4, and usually I can get to about 800 before things start to get rough. That's fine I just want the 3* cover and *maybe* the 4* if I can reach it (haven't managed this whole season, btw).

But this event? The top ten have 1500+, so I figured this would be simple, but I'm currently 75th with 650 points and I cannot progress.
Every fight is either worth 28-35 points, or it's 45 points Jeanbuster. If I manage to win the fight (which has been insanely difficult since the AI is in cascade heaven tonight) then I've been attacked and didn't even get any points. More often I simply lose...AND got attacked while fighting so I lose twice.

I've given up and shielded at 660 points, my lowest score this season. This is bonkers.

Remember when X-Force and Thoress were the dominant meta and D3 said that was not a good thing and they nerfed the characters? I'm not calling for a Jeanbuster nerf or anything, but I'm curious as to why this obvious meta isn't being looked at. If you don't have them, you might as well not bother. With each passing season I find it harder and harder to compete. This was the least fun PvP of the whole season.

Comments

• udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm in the same slice and I was wondering if they accidentally turned on the MMR test a couple weeks early. Same as you: lots of skipping to finally find a 45 point maxed Jeanbuster. I'm only at 450.

First clue was that I got no seeds. No seeds. When was the last time we had no seeds in PVP? That's right, the last disastrous MMR change. Instead of seeds I had 3 matches of 60+ points. Difficult matches, but ok. I felt bad for hitting people from zero becuase I know that means they are getting -70, but what can I do?

Sigh and shrug.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    With 2 boosted AOE users (BP and Thor) even my jeanbuster was getting torn up in this pvp. I'm in the same slice and it wasn't fun getting to 800. Of course once you get there, the cupcakes get you the rest of the way.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    madok wrote:
    Of course once you get there, the cupcakes get you the rest of the way.

The whut now?
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    To answer your question about jeanbuster being nerfed remember this is the age of buffs to counter good combos. With the new buffs for 4* you will start seeing a lot more variety of 4* combos. This PVP I saw a lot of carnage with 20k health. A lot of people have HB who is nasty if he is rolling, and JG counters match 5 damage. They pair really well. When cyclops, RHulk, XFDP, and iceman are buffed expect to see a lot of them.

In response to your last question hit me up on line and I can explain. Same name as on the forums.
  • Hendross
    Hendross Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Yes, thank the bakers, I have 210pts lined up for a final hop.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Black Panther is one of the rougher PvPs. Probably because of the combination of relatively cheap strong strike tiles and that black team damage. I've wiped a lot more myself as well than in any other pvp this season.

Jeanbuster, though, is nowhere near as powerful as Xthor was in their day. As I mentioned in another thread just now, of all the teams you tend to see in the 1000+ point range, it's one of the easier 4* teams to beat. But it's a really common one, like Fistbuster, and it's still a team that's tough for a 3-4* transitioner to beat. So I do understand why it would seem like it's the Xthor situation all over again... but the 'if you don't have this character, you're in for a rough time when you get high enough' crown really belongs to Old Man Logan now.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    I always seem to be playing catch up. By the time my Thoress and X-Force were useful they were long since nerfed. I've only recently got my second red HB from Galactus and Jean is stuck in the middle. I figure by the time I get them useful they'll long since be worthless because some awesome 4* will have come out.

I'm still nervous about levelling my 4*s in case I mess up scaling, but things are apparently improving on that front soon...so I guess we'll see. I've been assured before that with my current roster, levelling some 4*s won't hurt much, if at all.

This PvP was so agrivating though. Been a while since this game's annoyed me so much and for such a prolonged period. Hense I gave up.
    I was already going to be kinda close in getting the legendary for progression, now I'm worried I might not get it at all.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    I always seem to be playing catch up.

I relate to this hugely. I always felt a step behind the top players. Now, in the era of 5* and mega-whales, I'm feeling 2-3 steps behind.

I'm no kind of pvp expert. I generally get t250-500 for the season. But I've never failed to hit 1000 when I wanted it, and I rarely have had to use shields to get it. I think for you it's time to start pumping iso into 4*s. It really won't mess up your scaling as much as you fear (your 3* are boosted to 240+ for an event, how much damage is an un-boosted 270 going to do?).

Looking at the roster in your sig, you could go a long way with a maxed 4Pool. Personally, I'm more likely to skip a maxed 4Pool than I am JeanBuster, precisely because JeanBuster is so ubiquitous -- I've dealt with them so much, I know how to deal with them. I'm constantly forgetting that 4Pool's passive triggers on a flat amount, rather than "less health than Deadpool" (like 3Pool or Thing) and getting screwed over by it.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    stowaway wrote:
    Looking at the roster in your sig, you could go a long way with a maxed 4Pool. P

That's advice I was given in another thread. Two people saying the same thing...and I do like using him, especially since at level 170ish he's already useful. His red does a lot of damage plus healing already.

That might just be my strategy. I'm usually afraid to use him in PvP though since I assume everyone's going to go "A 4* lower than 270? Easy target!"
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    That might just be my strategy. I'm usually afraid to use him in PvP though since I assume everyone's going to go "A 4* lower than 270? Easy target!"

The problem is now the big sharks are going yummy no high level 5*. So it isn't as big of a deal that your 4Pool isn't maxed. It still gives you leg up over straight 3* teams.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    I don't have a single maxed 4* (the best I have is an X-Force Wolverine with 10 covers) and I've had trouble even reaching 300 points. Almost everyone I'm running into has at least a couple of maxed 3*s and a 4*, so I end every battle with a half dead team or worse. Seems like you either have to be really new or have a really great roster (i.e. multiple maxed 4*s at the very least) to get anywhere any more.
  • This was tough because of the boosted characters. On the low end, I was getting beaten by boosted BP/KK/Thor, and on the high end I was facing 350+ Carnage/JG teams - rough. So the combo of boosted characters made it both hard to climb, and easy to get hit on defense. Carnage is on my short list of characters to max, and this event sure did make me wish I had him maxed already!
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just curious: did you guys get an insane bracket? I got 700 points in mine, and it was enough for me to pip the top 5 to get 1st (and that coveted Nova cover)

700 for first is an insane bracket... insanely easy that is.

In mine you needed 2000 just to break top 10. Which is high even for slice 1... but I don't exactly join that for placement anyway. Hopefully I'll get lucky with my hoarded legendaries once Nova is added to tokens.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not calling for a Jeanbuster nerf or anything, but I'm curious as to why this obvious meta isn't being looked at.
    Because it's not an obvious meta. I would've loved to have seen some Jeanbusters. But I was forced to shield when every battle option I was being served up was a Carnage/OML. And no, I don't have any usable 5*s. If there's a PvP meta these days, it's not Jeanbuster, it's OML and whomever. Or at least that's what it is in the PvP I'm playing.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I had a tougher time than usual too, and I'm running Jeanbuster. Hits Came in faster than I could climb, so the climb took much longera than usual. That may just have been bad timing on my part though.
    Jeanbuster is common, but it is far from the only thing you see. There was quite a few Rulk and Cyclopses during my climb... And of course fivestars.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    MMR definitely feels like it has been tinkered with.

I used to see lower teams (eg not maxed out featured plus Jeanbuster) for 50+ up until 800 or so, in BP it was maxed out teams right from 200 points onwards.

It's not like I can't beat those, but something seems to have changed.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    madok wrote:
    With 2 boosted AOE users (BP and Thor) even my jeanbuster was getting torn up in this pvp. I'm in the same slice and it wasn't fun getting to 800. Of course once you get there, the cupcakes get you the rest of the way.

Nope, even after breaking 800 I didn't see any cakes. My experience was pretty similar. No seed, lots of jeanbusters. Thankfully, my max champed 2* wolf (buffed to level 232!) and champed kamala can handle those. icon_twisted.gif
  • DAC169
    DAC169 Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I saw, almost exclusively, teams of BP/KK/Thor with minimum levels of 220. No seed teams. Rarely ever anyone else.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Every fight is either worth 28-35 points, or it's 45 points Jeanbuster.
    I ran into this early, too, but since I wasn't ready to stop playing, I started hitting the sub-38 point matches. Luckily for me they were often worth 40+ by the time I got done with them.
  • Same story here.

I finished over 1k in 9/10 events this season and the only one i didn't was P&P which I finished under 600.

I ran 300bp/250kk/250thor and after 800 I couldn't cue any team that wasn't maxed jeanbuster. I spent a couple thousand iso skipping and no ccs, no other boosted 3* teams, only 30-40 point jeanbusters and the hops were so time consuming that even though I was winning I still couldn't progress.

I'm absolutely certain they tinkered with the mmr and thankfully it went back to normal for jet set but if this is what the new mmr is going to be like, god help us.