Galactus/Ultron and Perspective

GrumpySmurf1002
GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Somewhat of a simple discussion point, but I wonder how much more favorably these two events would be looked upon if once, just once, they could go off without some catastrophic glitch.

There's no 3 hour grind. There's no bracket lottery for rewards. The node rewards are more generous. The 8 hour windows are flexible. It promotes some sense of actual teamwork.

It's overall a way more pleasant an experience as a PvE, and I wish every PvE was based on this mechanic.

I just also wish it ran without blowing up the game for once.

Comments

• cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    insert something about how programming is hard here icon_rolleyes.gif

But no really, the first runs, sure, it's something new. But as a programmer, if my my code breaks on the second time out, I'd be pretty ashamed.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    It never breaks in our favor. So we know they at least QA it THAT much.

My guess is, the test plans they verify complete with, don't really replicate the way the real playerbase actually experiences their content on the live server.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    Slightly off topic: has there ever been a re-run of Ultron? I haven't been playing too terribly long (6-7 months), but I hear about it all the time and it sounds fun.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Jarvind wrote:
    Slightly off topic: has there ever been a re-run of Ultron? I haven't been playing too terribly long (6-7 months), but I hear about it all the time and it sounds fun.

Ultron is basically the same mechanic - 5 essentials, one boss node. He operates differently as a boss (drops bomb tiles from the top), but same basic thing. To get the rewards, there was also a side mission that unlocked every round, as opposed to just progression rewards like Galactus. It also crashed the servers repeatedly at launch, even in rerun IIRC.

They've run it once or twice since the initial double launch that released Hulkbuster, but not for a while now.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Run 2 of Galactus was amazingly done.. and nothing was broken that i can recall.
  • halirin
    halirin Posts: 327 Mover and Shaker
    Have there been major issues for this run? I've seen some Nova essential complaints, but I'm already closing in on the legendary without having any nova covers.

Haven't seen any server issues either.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    halirin wrote:
    Have there been major issues for this run?

The whole "enemies are hilariously overscaled" and "Galactus has 1.5x more health than points rewarded" are pretty major.

Yeah, people are still beating it pretty routinely, but doesn't mean they didn't bork it again.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Malcrof wrote:
    Run 2 of Galactus was amazingly done.. and nothing was broken that i can recall.

I thought the servers crapped out then also, but if you say so. The track record is still pretty poor overall, which is unfortunate.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Malcrof wrote:

I thought the servers crapped out then also, but if you say so. The track record is still pretty poor overall, which is unfortunate.

The servers did **** out again on the second run, but they weren't out for long. Only thing is that they had said in an official note that they had tested it and it would not **** out because they had taken precautions. Also, they mechanics of the minions had changed some...but I think we found that out during the gauntlet that was run before the second coming of Ultron.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    But they do look at it favorably. Despite all the mess that's created every time. I think that says a lot. Hey Devs, people enjoy your crappily run true pves more than your normal "pves"
  • RoboDuck
    RoboDuck Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Malcrof wrote:

Wasn't the BP node broken? Or was that run 1.
  • Houtro
    Houtro Posts: 464 Mover and Shaker
    RoboDuck wrote:
    Malcrof wrote:

Wasn't the BP node broken? Or was that run 1.

Yeah, think that was round two!
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Somewhat of a simple discussion point, but I wonder how much more favorably these two events would be looked upon if once, just once, they could go off without some catastrophic glitch.

There's no 3 hour grind. There's no bracket lottery for rewards. The node rewards are more generous. The 8 hour windows are flexible. It promotes some sense of actual teamwork.

It's overall a way more pleasant an experience as a PvE, and I wish every PvE was based on this mechanic.

If the scaling was normal (nodes ramped up slowly instead of low to high instantly, not talking about the bug), and everything unlocked per round, then it would be perfect.

Another thing I would change is don't stop at round 8 - or if Galactus is defeated in round 8, it resets so the rewards can be reset as well (except for the main progression reward of course).
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453

Methinks you're seeking too much. icon_mrgreen.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif
  • I've always liked the Galactus events..... viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33746

I'm almost always too busy to play PvE optimally enough to hit much better than Top 100 or Top 50 if I really put in the extra effort. So being able to do my clears on my own time (within an 8 hour window) is a huge plus for me.

I'm actually in another country on a business trip and still managed to hit final progression with more than a day left.
  • El Satanno
    El Satanno Posts: 1,005 Chairperson of the Boards
    I love Gauntlet. I love Ultron. I love Galactus. I was very happy that we got a new event for Venom (despite symbiote mooks now being my most hated enemy class), but I would have preferred another boss fight instead. PvE is a horrible slog made tolerable by Winfinite. The true PvE model of boss fights/Gauntlet actually makes me look forward to their being run. I prefer them so much, I'd gladly take a bug-riddled mess over the standard PvE events.
  • Even with the scaling bug this run of Galactus has been great fun to play! We're on set for the 2nd hulkbuster cover and the legendary even without having Nova, so really no complaints here. Would love to fight Ultron again.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

Except you needed 4*Cyclops in the essentials, and most of us didn't get a cover in the infamous first run of Galaktus, so I can't say it was frustration free (we barely got to the round 8 because of that).

I love Galaktus runs (Ultron is also nice), we need more events like this, maybe not all of them Alliance related. I love being able to play whenever I want, and just fighting against the AI not another guy that barely sleeps to get all top10 rewards icon_razz.gif And playing against Galaktus is really fun (the only thing I would change is that there is no much room for trying new combinations, you stick to the team you now is doing the job for fear of losing points).

I guess they can run Ultron or Galaktus every season and then add another event to get more variety, they can add someone like... THANOS in a new event icon_e_biggrin.gif

PS: And if they fixed the rewards for the Gauntlet (just 1 4, no LT ?!?!?!?!?!?) I would love it again too.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    they can add someone like... THANOS in a new event icon_e_biggrin.gif

I'm sure that's coming. In the past they've been releasing events in time with the cinematic universe, so it might not be until early 2018 (projected release of Infinity War) before we see him.

The infinity gauntlet plays well with the color set in the MPQ. It matches every color except black (orange in the gauntlet). They could make that a focus - Boss Thanos utilizing the other colors to transmute black to orange. Or just pretend that black stands in for it and come up with some sort of rainbow power suite.