Now with patch, is there still any reason to spend money?

Options
It's awesome that we have a reason to play again, but I'm still wondering if there's a compelling reason to spend money.

I haven't spent any money and after opening 13 packs of boosters collected over January/Feburary, I received 4 Rares I don't already have (7 in all). 1 of the packs had two new rares meaning 10 of the 13 packs gave me literally nothing at all.

It didn't cost me a dime only a lot of time. There are plenty of rares and mythics I don't have so I think I just got a bit unlucky. That's fine. No one said the world is fair. I can't figure out why I would spend money for the same experience of getting very nearly nothing.

Can anyone come up with any at all to spend any money on this game?

Comments

• Not really. Especially considering how overpriced things are.
  • I'm sure when events show up they will be difficult enough (at least eventually) to spark some spending.

The biggest hurdle the devs have is that you only need a single copy of any card for your deck. That alone makes it difficult to justify spending anything, imo because of the deck mechanic of the game.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think it would be worth spending money if you could buy specific cards. Like 99 cents for a card or 10 for $8.99. But I wouldn't want to spend $8.99 to open a fat pack and get cards I already have.

If they want to keep the random element, I probably would pay money for a fat pack that was completely filled with cards I need.
  • Rogan_Josh
    Rogan_Josh Posts: 140 Tile Toppler
    Options
    EDHdad wrote:
    I think it would be worth spending money if you could buy specific cards. Like 99 cents for a card or 10 for $8.99. But I wouldn't want to spend $8.99 to open a fat pack and get cards I already have.

If they want to keep the random element, I probably would pay money for a fat pack that was completely filled with cards I need.

Unfortunately that is never going to happen. A big question mark hanging over all this is what are we going to be able to do with multiple copies of our cards in the future? the devs have mentioned this is going to be a thing.

do we get to sell them back? for runes or crystals? currently there isn't a particular shortage of runes (unlike MPQs iso) so that won't seem like much of a benefit.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't see why it shouldn't happen that we could buy singles in the future. For the life of me, I can't figure out any other way for them to monetize this game in a way that would actually get me to spend money.

Just checking in once per day, you get 13,800 runes, 360 crystals and 9 packs of cards per month. Why should I buy more runes?

OTOH, there's plenty of singles I would just buy outright for 99 cents, or 10 for $8.99.
  • A mythic rare currently costs at least $25 / card and that includes possible worthless duplicates. If you're looking for singles, they would be priced somewhere between $50-100. They'd see a lot of sales at that price, too. That's in line with the few other games that offer Mythic-type-rarity singles for purchase.

If they would ever sell singles, they will be priced well outside your comfort range.
  • Ertai Planeswalker
    Options
    I just posted a thread regarding this issue in the feedback forum this morning. It's a long one but please go read it and put in your 2 cents on the matter.
  • raidan
    raidan Posts: 128
    Options
    I could think of a way that would encourage players to purchase crystals:

1. Either decrease the price of the crystals or offer additional crystals for the same price.

2. Make it so if you purchase a Fat Pack, you're guaranteed a Rare or lesser that is not a duplicate (until you have all rares). Additionally make it so a Big Box, guarantees a new non duplicate Mythic.

Or

An alternative to the random non-duplicate rare/mythic cards would be Fat Pack and Big Box box toppers. The box topper would be a rare/mythic card you can see before the purchase (may or may not be a duplicate) and this rare/mythic box topper would cycle every 12-24 hours to a different card.

I could see people paying 5-20 dollars for a guaranteed rare/mythic they're after.

Right now the 2 most common complaints I have seen are the prices and the fact that you're not even guaranteed new cards if you purchase crystals. Also because card packs are available from competitons, this also deincentivizes purchases.
  • I just think they need to drastically reduce prices. Unlike many of the traditional CCGs out there, I wouldn't even vaguely consider making purchases in this game.
  • The purchases are not for you. I repeat, they are not designed for the layperson.

All of d3go games rely on income from whales. Whales like random lottery boxes. Let them have their day, while you stay happy and same without spending a dime.

Letting you buy cards would get rid of whales. Which is a big nono
  • loroku
    loroku Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pandabear wrote:
    The purchases are not for you. I repeat, they are not designed for the layperson.

All of d3go games rely on income from whales. Whales like random lottery boxes. Let them have their day, while you stay happy and same without spending a dime.

Letting you buy cards would get rid of whales. Which is a big nono
    I think panda is right. The prices are outrageous - but not if you don't care about dropping $20 here or there for some random game. If you're trying to compare them to what you can get for free by just playing the game, time > money by a long shot. That's not what the purchases are for.

That said, I do like the idea of a box topper on Big Boxes or even Fat Packs. Pokemon does this a lot, just for comparison.
  • Ooh, you got me thinking. You know what would be cool? Promo cards.
    Like, the mythic bauhaus is going to win in my old bracket. What if it just had an icon or a watermark or something to make it unique? It adds incentive to play even if you know you'll get a duplicate. Or box toppers, if they did that- they could use cards with alternate art promos in real life, like Nissa's Pilgrimage or the mentor cycle, or with old printings with different art, like Dragon Fodder.
    It would also give people something to show off. Thousands of people probably have Pia and Kiran Nalaar. But do they have the alt-art first-place promo?
    It may be hard to program two different but functionally identical versions, but I'm no expert.
  • I like this idea.

They could simply do holo versions. Unsure about alt art because they can only pull from magics art library, but they certainly can for reprints
  • buffbeardo
    Options
    No. The game is currently broken. 50% crash rate, ribbon resets in pvp, stupid difficulty in the new heroic challenges, .... Etc. This game imo is no longer fun. I've spent around $30 on the game thus far and that is it. I'm done.
  • paralistalon
    Options
    I told myself I wouldn't buy crystals, but I eventually broke down and got the starter package since I figured with tournaments running, it might give me some extra entertainment if I had some new cards to try out. Unfortunately, my Fat Pack resulted in nothing but duplicates (and that God-awful mythic support that gives you double life gain), so that was all I needed to be reminded that it's not worth it to spend money unless they add things to do with duplicates.
  • I told myself I wouldn't buy crystals, but I eventually broke down and got the starter package since I figured with tournaments running, it might give me some extra entertainment if I had some new cards to try out. Unfortunately, my Fat Pack resulted in nothing but duplicates (and that God-awful mythic support that gives you double life gain), so that was all I needed to be reminded that it's not worth it to spend money unless they add things to do with duplicates.
    Oh, yeah. That, barring glitches, is one of this games biggest problems.
    Not the duplicates (though that is a problem), but the fact that they just directly transcribe cards from the TCG, ignoring that the same mechanics are way weaker in this environment. Alhammeret's Archive is expensive but massively powerful in the TCG. In this, lifegain is bad and card draw is bad, so It's not worth it. Managorger Hydra, as another example, would be stronger if they had taken the actual effect from the TCG and not just the text. Managorger Hydra actually really needs that to be fixed, seeing as green as a grand total of one spell slot.
    I could go on- Magmatic Insight, Rogue's Passage, and Hallowed Moonlight are others, and there are more.
    It even goes the other way with Enshrouding Mist and maybe some others.