Why not have a true classic token?

rkd80
rkd80 Posts: 376
I like the idea of having an option to open various tokens. Any time the user is presented with a choice provides for a richer experience. However the currently legendary vs classic token does not really make a lot of sense.

There is a much simpler way to do this and one that I am guessing many will find acceptable.

True classic depending on date. Some characters are classic by the duration of their existence in the MPQ universe. No one would argue that XForce, IW, Nick Fury and others are classic as they have been with us almost since day one. There is nothing classic about Silver Surfer he is relatively new.

So instead, create a cutoff date. Let's say anything older than 12 months is classic. Lower the cost of the token even further to 15CP. It will contain no 5* (just yet), but will contain everyone from Xforce to Hulk Buster to even Prof X. Those in transition may still consider purchasing these tokens in order to cover classic, but still very good characters (like HB). Others who are looking for shinier things will go with the current legendary.

Here you can play with the percentages quite a bit too, there will be a much higher chance to pull HB from classic than JG from the new. Further presenting a legitimate choice to players.

Once SS turns one year, to the classic he goes. This is a permutation of the vault system and while not perfect will actually go a long way to solving the RNG aggravation.

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the classic should just have 4*s in them. Make the other one have the 5's.
  • IMO it will take close to a year to fully cover a new 5* (emphasis on new, SS and OML could have been done sooner due to increased draw rates at their release), and so keeping new 5*s in the legendary rotation for a year makes sense. The current system supports this if new 5* characters are released at a rate of 1 every 4 months.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    But if they're going to keep the % chance of getting a 5* at 10%, putting them all into the same token isn't going to help most people.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I think if you use 1 year as a cutoff, that practically halves the 4*. At that juncture they can easily raise the 5* to a combined 20%.

Furthermore, if they were to simply add a streak buster to fix the RNGesus screwing you, it would be an elegant solution to the randomness problem. So at the end of the day if you work your **** off and collect every single LT, you should have - minus the distribution - the same amount of covers as the other guy who put in the same amount of work.

The randomness is still there, but you have more control over which randomness to subject yourself to and the cost of it.