Why is there 1 point difference?

TheSeven
TheSeven Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I completed my first clear of The Hunt – Alaska and sat at 44th place with 2761 points. 6th place had 2762 points. Why?

Not complaining, just curious.

Comments

• TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    interesting - my leaderboard all have 2762 after first clear (including the 1 time nodes). not sure why you're full clear would be a pt less. I might ask the question to cs if someone doesn't have an explanation come in here.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Seven wrote:
    I completed my first clear of The Hunt – Alaska and sat at 44th place with 2761 points. 6th place had 2762 points. Why?

Rubberbanding?
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    The Seven wrote:

Rubberbanding?

Doesn't exist anymore.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Arondite wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    The Seven wrote:

Rubberbanding?

Doesn't exist anymore.

Actually it does exist still, just in much smaller increments than it use to. That's the reason why when you join a fresh bracket there's usually a +-10 pts with people around you in the leaderboard.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    The Seven wrote:

Fractions and decimals. They were a **** back in Elementary school and just as tough in MPQ LOL.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    cletus1985 wrote:
    Arondite wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    The Seven wrote:

Rubberbanding?

Doesn't exist anymore.

Actually it does exist still, just in much smaller increments than it use to. That's the reason why when you join a fresh bracket there's usually a +-10 pts with people around you in the leaderboard.
    It most definitely exists. It is most noticeable in Enemy of the State's last sub when the survival nodes can increase thousands of points in value.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Speed of the clear would account for the difference in points.

Nodes become worth more over time which means a slower clear will earn more points than a faster one. However, the player with fewer points actually has the advantage because less of their points were lost to nothing.

When it comes down to the final sub grind the player whose 1 point behind will ultimately win because they have more total points available to earn than the other player.

It's just a super small scale version of the problem that happens when people do too many clears early in the sub rather than at the end.
  • Cymmina
    Cymmina Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    babinro wrote:

Nodes become worth more over time which means a slower clear will earn more points than a faster one. However, the player with fewer points actually has the advantage because less of their points were lost to nothing.

When it comes down to the final sub grind the player whose 1 point behind will ultimately win because they have more total points available to earn than the other player.

It's just a super small scale version of the problem that happens when people do too many clears early in the sub rather than at the end.

Nodes don't magically "become worth more over time". If you've ever been at the top of the leaderboards, you will never see this happen. It's called "rubberbanding", like everyone else has already pointed out. If you're a certain amount of points behind the leaders on a particular sub, those nodes will be more valuable.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    babinro wrote:

That logic doesn't work. Yes nodes gain points over time due to rubberbanding, but if I clear everything one hour after you, I'm not losing any points. And if you are one point behind me on the last sub grind and we both grind everything I will most likely win, with a slim chance of a draw.

A one point differential most likely means our rubberbanding bonuses on all nodes will be the same, which means there are the same amount of points out there for each of us to collect, so I win. On the extreme offchance that that one point differential does modify your rubberbanding bonus it would make it one more than mine, which you would make up on one node only before all the rest were equal to mine. so we draw. There is no way for you to actually come out ahead if our clearing strategies match.

I think the issue for you is that nodes don't actually gain points over time. You get bonus points for each node based on how far behind the leader you are. The key difference between those two methods is that as you gain points from clearing nodes the distance between you and the leader goes down, so the bonus points you get from the remaining nodes goes down.

Some lazy bugger should update the PvE guide really......
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Eddiemon wrote:
    babinro wrote:

That logic doesn't work. Yes nodes gain points over time due to rubberbanding, but if I clear everything one hour after you, I'm not losing any points. And if you are one point behind me on the last sub grind and we both grind everything I will most likely win, with a slim chance of a draw.

A one point differential most likely means our rubberbanding bonuses on all nodes will be the same, which means there are the same amount of points out there for each of us to collect, so I win. On the extreme offchance that that one point differential does modify your rubberbanding bonus it would make it one more than mine, which you would make up on one node only before all the rest were equal to mine. so we draw. There is no way for you to actually come out ahead if our clearing strategies match.

I think the issue for you is that nodes don't actually gain points over time. You get bonus points for each node based on how far behind the leader you are. The key difference between those two methods is that as you gain points from clearing nodes the distance between you and the leader goes down, so the bonus points you get from the remaining nodes goes down.

Some lazy bugger should update the PvE guide really......

Actually that logic works fine, because on that last grind his nodes have refilled more points than yours. Given equal clears the guy with an hour of extra refill time will always win.