Roster help: swap out 1-cover XWolv for MN Mags?

Options
HailMary
HailMary Posts: 2,179
edited February 2014 in MPQ Tips and Guides
Having opened my reward tokens right away hoping for addtl. covers for my C.Storm (got 2 so far from Assault), I now have 1 Ares cover and MN Mags 2/1/0 in my rewards queue.

My roster is full, I'm 25 HP away from my next roster slot (I don't want to spend any money), and I'm in a 1*->2* transition.
I've had a single X-Force Wolverine cover nearly since I started playing, and I only ever use it for tanking now. For buffed-Wolverine events, I have an AsWolf 5/3/4 and a 1-cover Patch. I also have a 3/2/5 Thor, so keeping Ares is not a big deal.

I hope to get some HP via Fresh Cut placement, but I'm seriously considering selling XWolv to make room for MN Mags, since that increases mission availability in the current PvE event (no Psylocke; currently can't break into subevent top 10), and XWolv is even rarer than 3*'s.

Is this a terrible idea?

Comments

• No, it's a good idea.

I've been playing for 4 1/2 months and only have 4 covers of XWolv. He's just been collecting dust the whole time. MN is one of the viable options you will need if you want to build a 2-star team.

i wouldn't throw Ares away either. He's one of the better 2 - star characters.
  • HailMary
    Options
    Good to know. I've been playing for about a month, and I was wondering about longer-term XWolv rarity. I'll wait for a second thumbs-up and drop him.

I've been focused on building a Thor + AWolv + C.Storm/OBW 2* team (though OBW has been stuck at 3 covers), so I haven't thought about MN Mags as a longer-term 2* team member (I think I actually threw away one or two of him a week ago). Just from playing against MN Mags in PvE and the rare PvP match, he doesn't seem very strong. He could feed blue to C.Storm, but I guess the AI doesn't do it well.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I have a lvl 35 XWolv. I never use him. Since I am facing now mostly 70+ PVE and 85+ PVE enemies he offers me no assistance. His cover rarity means I will never be able to level him up to be useful in those fights. I'm with you I have the AWolv and Patch. I am keeping him only because of the rarity. If you are only 25 (or is it a typo 250?) then just keep grinding away. The system will give you those extra HP much faster than you will ever earn another XWolv.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've played 3 months and my x-force is 5/3 with a level cap of 148. I dont see myself investing in him soon either, so if you did keep his cover, just know that you probably wont be able to use him for a very very long time. If it's the yellow cover, i'd consider it as only green/red (mainly green) have been consistently handed out as placement awards. The one issue if that if the buff makes him the best character in the game, then you might regret it down the road, but as is, it should be okay to toss himf or MN Mags. After playing with MN Mags, I actually really like the character now. His blue sucks, but his purple is amazing with a powerful blue character like C. Storm (generates basically 10blue AP + cascades / match 4s), and his red generates a ton of AP as well. Thor/C. Storm/MN Mags could be a good team comp if you get starved on widow covers.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Good to know. I've been playing for about a month, and I was wondering about longer-term XWolv rarity. I'll wait for a second thumbs-up and drop him.

I've been focused on building a Thor + AWolv + C.Storm/OBW 2* team (though OBW has been stuck at 3 covers), so I haven't thought about MN Mags as a longer-term 2* team member (I think I actually threw away one or two of him a week ago). Just from playing against MN Mags in PvE and the rare PvP match, he doesn't seem very strong. He could feed blue to C.Storm, but I guess the AI doesn't do it well.

The problem with most of these characters are they really don't shine until you have max covers and have them more than 50 % leveled. So transitions can often take up to a month or more before you get the right covers and ISO to level them.
  • HailMary
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, guys!

XWolv is out, MN Mags is in, and I'm keeping the new HP-bought slot open for now -- I've got a 1-cover Ares and 3/2/0 mStorm in the queue, but I'm hoping for a C.Mags from Fresh Cut.

NorthernPolarity: Good to know that MN Mags is generally pretty useful. Thanks for the Thor/C.Storm/MN Mags tip. Speak of the devil, I just got a OBW cover, the first in over a week. I clearly need to complain more about cover drops.

user311: I was just 25 HP away, so XWolv's HP essentially got me two open slots -- seemed worth it. Esp. with new 3*'s coming down the pipeline, the pure novelty of XWolv feels trivial compared to resource/token accrual rate gains from an extra slot and another 2* core team candidate.

Toxicadam: I hear ya. NPolarity's been telling me similar things. My Thor is 5/2/3 & AsWolf is 5/3/4 (I'll respec the yellow when I get there), and I've got enough ISO to get them both to lvl 70ish. So, mainly waiting on covers for a third 2*.
  • HailMary
    Options
    Holy Helvetica, buffed MN Mags (w/ just 3 covers) + C.Storm simply mulches unstable-ISO mutants.
  • user311
    user311 Posts: 482 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    HailMary wrote:
    user311: I was just 25 HP away, so XWolv's HP essentially got me two open slots -- seemed worth it. Esp. with new 3*'s coming down the pipeline, the pure novelty of XWolv feels trivial compared to resource/token accrual rate gains from an extra slot and another 2* core team candidate.

No that makes perfect sense. Didnt dawn on me that selling would give you that extra slot. Good deal. I agree with someone else on here, that I would like to see slots as a reward.