For Everyone That Hates Invisible Woman

CyberVenom2001
CyberVenom2001 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
The reason I continue using an almost maxed out Sue Storm is for the unbridled joy of having all three team members turned Invisible during a match. The godly feel of going "FACE!" to the CPU as it flails about, trying attack anything it can is almost addictive. Give it a try!

Comments

• xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Teen Jean sort of ruins this though, doesn't she? Two different AOE attacks and one of them wipes out the Invisibility tiles..

I'm assuming it wipes out Invisibility tiles.. i never see any IWs in the field to try that out on.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    She's actually not godawful in the current PvP, I've been sprinkling HB-IW into the rotation, only other yellow/green users to fill the rainbow are XForce (neither a great skill) and Venom (too undercovered)

Yeah, Jean eats her alive (as would RHulk) but otherwise she's a decent enough outlet and her yellow saves health packs a bit.
  • She's actually not godawful in the current PvP, I've been sprinkling HB-IW into the rotation, only other yellow/green users to fill the rainbow are XForce (neither a great skill) and Venom (too undercovered)

Yeah, Jean eats her alive (as would RHulk) but otherwise she's a decent enough outlet and her yellow saves health packs a bit.
    Why on earth would you care about yellow or green AP when you have HB on your team? You should be focusing entirely on black and then red - maybe some blue if they aren't available. If you are wasting your time collecting yellow/green then you are doing it wrong.

This is a perfect example of why rainbow teams are stupid. You are sacrificing so much by adding IW to HB for the sake of covering all the colors.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    She's actually not godawful in the current PvP, I've been sprinkling HB-IW into the rotation, only other yellow/green users to fill the rainbow are XForce (neither a great skill) and Venom (too undercovered)

Why on earth would you care about yellow or green AP when you have HB on your team? You should be focusing entirely on black and then red - maybe some blue if they aren't available. If you are wasting your time collecting yellow/green then you are doing it wrong.

This is a perfect example of why rainbow teams are stupid. You are sacrificing so much by adding IW to HB for the sake of covering all the colors.

a) I am focusing red/black. Of course, they're not just universally available because I want them to be.
    b) Cascades are a thing, and you don't control what color they fall in.

So yes, I like to have an outlet for those off-colors when they're collected.

Also, I didn't say I was using her consistently. When climbing from 0, it's easier to rotate the 2nd character based on matchup. I added her to the rotation this time.

Maybe don't lose your mind over how someone else plays the game next time.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    Why is everyone talking about PvP only? I see this being fun in PVE and DDQ.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards

I bet you were that guy at grade-school birthday parties that was like "NNNNNGGG YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GIVE ME THE CONTROLLER," huh.
  • She's actually not godawful in the current PvP, I've been sprinkling HB-IW into the rotation, only other yellow/green users to fill the rainbow are XForce (neither a great skill) and Venom (too undercovered)

a) I am focusing red/black. Of course, they're not just universally available because I want them to be.

Also, I didn't say I was using her consistently. When climbing from 0, it's easier to rotate the 2nd character based on matchup. I added her to the rotation this time.

a) This is why XFW would be 1000x better than IW in this scenario. If the board is starved of red/black/blue (a rarity), you can use his green/yellow to shake it up and likely get more tiles of the colors that you need.
    b) OK, but you are still sacrificing something better to be able to use that unwanted/unneeded AP.....

Your team should have one or two primary abilities to focus on (black/red for IMHB), and some support/feeder abilities to go with it (blue/black for IMHB - why he is such a powerful character). Rather than finding a way to use unwanted AP, you are better off picking a team that IS able to put red/black tiles on the board....because you want them to be. This is why everyone uses IF with HB - he puts black tiles on the board.....because you want them to be there. It's incredibly rare for a board to be completely starved of any more than 2 colors, so when you look at your team you should think "what happens if I can't get black/red?" In the case of FistBuster you use purple/blue to generate black/red and are still successful. In the case of HB/XFW you could use green/yellow to clear out all the unwanted purple tiles likely generating some red/black matches to replace them. In the case of IW/HB you could use yellow to....hide? Until the board favors you? While getting sniped by much faster teams? No thanks.

I haven't lost my mind, and don't care how you play. But how you play is not optimal, and this is the general discussion forum to generally discuss strategies that are sub-optimal, why they are sub-optimal, and how we can avoid playing sub-optimally in the future so that we can all grow and be better players together.
  • Jarvind wrote:

I bet you were that guy at grade-school birthday parties that was like "NNNNNGGG YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG GIVE ME THE CONTROLLER," huh.
    Thanks for adding to the discussion. That was a really helpful point.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor

a) This is why XFW would be 1000x better than IW in this scenario. If the board is starved of red/black/blue (a rarity), you can use his green/yellow to shake it up and likely get more tiles of the colors that you need.
    b) OK, but you are still sacrificing something better to be able to use that unwanted/unneeded AP.....

Your team should have one or two primary abilities to focus on (black/red for IMHB), and some support/feeder abilities to go with it (blue/black for IMHB - why he is such a powerful character). Rather than finding a way to use unwanted AP, you are better off picking a team that IS able to put red/black tiles on the board....because you want them to be. This is why everyone uses IF with HB - he puts black tiles on the board.....because you want them to be there. It's incredibly rare for a board to be completely starved of any more than 2 colors, so when you look at your team you should think "what happens if I can't get black/red?" In the case of FistBuster you use purple/blue to generate black/red and are still successful. In the case of HB/XFW you could use green/yellow to clear out all the unwanted purple tiles likely generating some red/black matches to replace them. In the case of IW/HB you could use yellow to....hide? Until the board favors you? While getting sniped by much faster teams? No thanks.

I haven't lost my mind, and don't care how you play. But how you play is not optimal, and this is the general discussion forum to generally discuss strategies that are sub-optimal, why they are sub-optimal, and how we can avoid playing sub-optimally in the future so that we can all grow and be better players together.

Are you really lecturing someone who is intentionally using Invisible Women?

Im sure Grumpy has never heard of Fistbuster before and never realized there are better partners for HB than her. Thank goodness you're here to save him.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Keep things civil and on topic please
  • Tatercat
    Tatercat Posts: 930 Critical Contributor
    IW will never be optimal in general gameplay tactics (as she is now at least), but if finding a workable way to use a character the OP likes, in turn makes the game more fun for them as a result, then maybe that IS the optimal solution. Maybe not a better player, but a happy one.
  • GrumpySmurf1002

I appreciate your earlier comments, but you have said 0% things that I don't already know.

This was a thread discussing the fun in using IW. I concurred that she "wasn't awful," which she wasn't.

Sub-optimal? sure. Mine's not even good, she's only level 180 (boosted to 220 or whatever).
    Good for hopping? (where sniping actually matters) Hell no.
    Fun to use at 300 points? Absolutely.

How I play *when it matters* is 100% optimal (ok probably 90%, I play at night when I'm tired). But it's a dang video game, and yeah I'm gonna bleep around sometimes.

PS - forcing your opponent to bring an AoE or risk IW cascading and hiding (or worse using her yellow to hide HB) also has value. Not a ton because the AI is dumb, but some.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    Ruinate wrote:

Im sure Grumpy has never heard of Fistbuster before and never realized there are better partners for HB than her. Thank goodness you're here to save him.

A Fistbuster is when the AI cascades 60AP on the first turn and you end up in the ER, with drywall at home to fix, right?
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Even "optimal" is a subjective term. To me, when playing a game, playing optimally is having the most fun. I have fun using different characters and trying new things.
  • I haven't lost my mind, and don't care how you play. But how you play is not optimal, and this is the general discussion forum to generally discuss strategies that are sub-optimal, why they are sub-optimal, and how we can avoid playing sub-optimally in the future so that we can all grow and be better players together.

I appreciate your earlier comments, but you have said 0% things that I don't already know.

This was a thread discussing the fun in using IW. I concurred that she "wasn't awful," which she wasn't.

Sub-optimal? sure. Mine's not even good, she's only level 180 (boosted to 220 or whatever).
    Good for hopping? (where sniping actually matters) Hell no.
    Fun to use at 300 points? Absolutely.

How I play *when it matters* is 100% optimal (ok probably 90%, I play at night when I'm tired). But it's a dang video game, and yeah I'm gonna bleep around sometimes.

PS - forcing your opponent to bring an AoE or risk IW cascading and hiding (or worse using her yellow to hide HB) also has value. Not a ton because the AI is dumb, but some.
    Cool.

Didn't mean to come off as lecturing you, or assuming you don't know how to play. My post was in response to yours, but more meant for others that read through this thread and think "which character on my roster should I level to pair with HB? IW, XFW, or IF?" Hopefully they can read through the discussion and make a more educated decision. And maybe even learn a few things that most of us vets know, but others seeking guidance hadn't thought of.
  • IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    The reason I continue using an almost maxed out Sue Storm is for the unbridled joy of having all three team members turned Invisible during a match. The godly feel of going "FACE!" to the CPU as it flails about, trying attack anything it can is almost addictive. Give it a try!

In her 4* DDQ battle I enjoyed re-enacting the invisible cloth scene from Erik the Viking

0161773_10487_MC_Tx304.jpg

You can't see me! But I can see you!
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    She is insanely useful in Ultron, and, since i only have the blue cover for 5* spidey, she hides him well for the extra damage.

Wonder if that works with Miles?
  • Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    Malcrof wrote:

This is why I still check the forums every now and then, I love a good argument icon_lol.gif
  • rubix_qube
    rubix_qube Posts: 69 Match Maker
    Malcrof wrote:

This is why I still check the forums every now and then, I love a good argument icon_lol.gif

I thought arguments were banned, or at least sent to suggestions and feedback so nobody would see them.

I'm so confused...