Poll: 4 star PvPs

zeeke
zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Simple enough, I think we have enough characters at 25 (26 with nova) to start with 4 star featured PvPs.

My suggestion would be to run these at the same time as a 3 star PvP and only let players choose to play one of them. This would most likely take some of us vets out of the growing pods and keep us from feeding on the young so to speak. Also, rewards could be bumped up to cater more to developed rosters.

What do you think?
zeeke

Mod Edit: Moving to suggestions on 1/30
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Replacing 3* is a terrible idea... sure its great for vets who already have a 4* roster but how is a newbie supposed to compete in that? At least with 3*s they might have a few covers.

Do you mean replace them outright, or make players choose to play only 3* or 4* each season? If it's the second I'm all in favour, as diluting the 5*/4* teams out of 3* events will give the players that need those 3* cover rewards more of a chance to get them. Remember when Top 100 didn't used to be over 1000 points?
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also think we need a PvP event for 4s where you can win more than one cover. And I also agree that it should be play one or the other format. As you said this would help immensely people who is starting or in the 2-3 transition also, not just the ones that want to cover their 4s.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes.

I suggested this at least 6 months ago, and at the time I suggested that every 3rd PvP should be a 4* featured event (that effectively works out to one 4* PvP each week).

With the number of new 4*'s and the introduction of 5*'s, they really should just replace 3* PvP with 4* PvP and be done with it. Then let everything else flow downhill, 3*'s get awarded wherever 2*'s are currently in terms of placement rewards - progression rewards are probably ok to leave as they currently stand.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can see the idea in principle and on paper it should work, in reality I donk think it will.

Most of the top alliances aren't really interested in final placement cover rewards unless it is a new character release event. Sure the CP, HP and ISO are always welcomed by all but it is season points that matter most to those folks. Having a 4* only event and a 3* equivalent will mean most of those with a high end roster will simply select the lower tier and walk away with it. If everybody agrees to play at the tier they should, and the upper tier has much better rewards then the gap between the have and the have nots will just grow and when those at a lower level are ready to step up they will be out manned and out gunned as soon as they do.

I think that leagues are the way to go. Everybody starts with a blank slate and the top 33% at the season end get placed in the Premier League, 2nd 33% go into the Championship and the rest into League One. Keep everybody visible for attacks as it is now but players are always placed into brackets of those at an almost equal level to them. At each season end players get promoted or relegated depending on their position. Call the off season a League Cup where people are just thrown in pell mell. Keep all rewards the same for all the leagues, that way those at the top are growing slower relatively to those below and thus the gap closes.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    one concern I have is splitting the top of the meta away from the rest of the player base. those 4* transitioners like me (well, I'm transitioned cover-wise, but just need the millions of iso that we all need) rely on the top of the meta to provide pts to the slices for progressions. if you take all of them away, I see pts being very hard to come by. if you have a 4*+ only tourney, the players that easily get t20s and t10s will find themselves struggling to make t250, because only the top players will be going that route. I also bet those events will be filled with 5*s - at this point you might HAVE to have a functional 5* to survive the high tier bracket. as it stands now, you can get 1500+ without ever touching a 5* opponent at all. unless they offer drastically different rewards I'm not sure it would be worth it, and you'll be screwing the bottom 98% of the playerbase that benefits from the top guys' points being removed from their events. additionally, how do points from the different event levels co-exist within an alliance. will alliances have to break into 4*+ only and 3*- only? what about players that choose 3* tourneys some event and 4*s other events?

the concept is great, but it brings up a ton of questions about how things will be handled. I'm sure they can be answered, but it is highly improbable (practically impossible) to implement something like tiered events without misjudging some things that will need some major adjusting early on. and then they'll only get blasted for not implementing it perfectly.
  • Why choose between 3* or 4* PvP ? Just add a 4* PvP but let players play in both. I'm in the early transition to 4* and being able to plau both would provide me with even more ISO and a chance to get at least a couple progression reward form the 4* PvP.
  • amusingfoo1
    amusingfoo1 Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    TxMoose wrote:
    one concern I have is splitting the top of the meta away from the rest of the player base. those 4* transitioners like me (well, I'm transitioned cover-wise, but just need the millions of iso that we all need) rely on the top of the meta to provide pts to the slices for progressions. if you take all of them away, I see pts being very hard to come by. if you have a 4*+ only tourney, the players that easily get t20s and t10s will find themselves struggling to make t250, because only the top players will be going that route. I also bet those events will be filled with 5*s - at this point you might HAVE to have a functional 5* to survive the high tier bracket. as it stands now, you can get 1500+ without ever touching a 5* opponent at all. unless they offer drastically different rewards I'm not sure it would be worth it, and you'll be screwing the bottom 98% of the playerbase that benefits from the top guys' points being removed from their events. additionally, how do points from the different event levels co-exist within an alliance. will alliances have to break into 4*+ only and 3*- only? what about players that choose 3* tourneys some event and 4*s other events?

the concept is great, but it brings up a ton of questions about how things will be handled. I'm sure they can be answered, but it is highly improbable (practically impossible) to implement something like tiered events without misjudging some things that will need some major adjusting early on. and then they'll only get blasted for not implementing it perfectly.

You're right that there's a lot of questions. This is where actually interacting with the fanbase would be truly useful. Get buy-in from the players, and if there are mistakes (there will be), people will be less upset about them. Taking the 'ivory tower' approach, as they have been, means you really need to get it right the first time. Setting up realistic expectations gives a lot of leeway.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Voted: Yes, alongside 3* pvp's.

Though honestly I'd be fine with the replacement option as well.

You could make 4* pvp's it's own unique ongoing event that has nothing to do with the season. This is just a bonus event for good rewards much like LR's. In fact, you could just run them on all days that LR's are not run and put a focus on LARGE pools of ISO as part of the reward system.

Alternatively you can make them part of the season and give players the choice which reward system they want. This further decreases the pool of available players which I'm not crazy about but in theory you'd be playing with people at your level anyways so hopefully not much would change. Naturally the 4* pvp would offer greater rewards to the 3* counterpart.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    "Alongside" is something I've been "suggesting" here for six months. Gives reason to level more than a couple 4*'s. Should give alliance 4* rewards for faster transition (assuming ISO can be fixed in this game).
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    At the very least, they need to start alternating between 3* and 4* featured events.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    My suggestion would be:

Replace the 3* with 4*. Then do one major change that will greatly help transition.

Where we currently win a random cover or iso, put in 3* covers. So just like you can randomly pull an OBW or Ares, now you can pull any of the 3* as well. Only do that in PVP though, thus leaving LRs as still a steady source of 2*.

This way everyone gets to play in pvp (new folks will use the loaner 4*) and the 3* will be more available.
  • I've had the belief that every 3rd PVP should be a 4* PVP for awhile.
  • zeeke
    zeeke Posts: 153 Tile Toppler
    Well D3, results are in and the people have spoken. Give us 4 star PVPs right now. You can skip the Galactus run to save some time, Hulk Buster is so 2015 anyhow...
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    zeeke wrote:
    Well D3, results are in and the people have spoken. Give us 4 star PVPs right now. You can skip the Galactus run to save some time, Hulk Buster is so 2015 anyhow...
    Just not Cho, no one really wants to level Cho for PVP.