Is giving up on the 1-3* tiers a bad idea?

jredd
jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
They've come out and said as much right? i think it's kind of a bad move. we are getting characters that are being placed in tiers they have no business being in.

totally awesome hulk could easily, and should have been a 2 or 3* character. in fact you could drop him down there without nerfing him and no one would notice.

nothing against nova, but he should probably be a 3* too.

especially while people are campaigning for specific characters that make more sense as a 4* and it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Comments

• If you want the appropriate answer, follow the money.

There is nothing to be gained in adding more 1* or 2* characters, in terms of gameplay or finances. These tiers are very quickly burned through in terms of gameplay. Most players who get into it should be in the 3* transition in short time.

The 3* tier, at 40 characters, is already overcrowded. Adding another 3* character is much more likely to infuriate the player base than to be seen as something worthwhile. And, most importantly, there is no money in it at this point.

The money at the moment is in the 4 and 5-star tier. It's where the biggest whales hang out.

EDIT: Character tier in-game has nothing to do with perceived power level within the Marvel Universe.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd wrote:
    They've come out and said as much right? i think it's kind of a bad move. we are getting characters that are being placed in tiers they have no business being in.

Mostly. They came out and said they were done with them, but that doesn't mean they could never add another. Just it isn't in the plan.

Star tiers have nothing to do with character power. This has been stated repeatedly. Heck some characters exist in 3 different tiers simultaneously. Tiers only indicate cover rarity and relative character stats in-game. I'm not sure how you resolve the fact that Logan appears in four different tiers with your belief that the Tier of a character states something intrinsic to that character's power in the marvel Universe.
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just to reiterate what Eddiemon posted. In game tiers are not representative of a characters power in the Marvel Universe, they are reprenstitive of how hard it is to find them in game and how much of a punch they pack compared to those in the tier below them.
  • Linkster79 wrote:
    ...and how much of a punch they pack compared to those in the tier below them.

Making the point of lowering Cho to 2*/3* just as valid icon_e_smile.gif
  • Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are always exceptions to the rule lol
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    They're designing a game, not a comic book combat simulator. They have target numbers for the populations of the various tiers, and right now they're aggressively pushing 4*s higher. At some point they'll be done with that, and then they'll do something else.
  • Given the continuing release of new 4*s they'll hit ~40 of those as well, probably late this year. Unless they keep climbing with 6*s and above at some point they're going to have to cycle back around and release more 3*s. Unless the game shuts down at some point there will need to be a system like in Magic the Gathering where there are choices of formats (eternal vs recent release, etc).

P.S. To the Devs - "6*s and above" was a joke. Please don't do that.
  • carrion_pigeons
    carrion_pigeons Posts: 942 Critical Contributor
    Given the continuing release of new 4*s they'll hit ~40 of those as well, probably late this year. Unless they keep climbing with 6*s and above at some point they're going to have to cycle back around and release more 3*s. Unless the game shuts down at some point there will need to be a system like in Magic the Gathering where there are choices of formats (eternal vs recent release, etc).

P.S. To the Devs - "6*s and above" was a joke. Please don't do that.

Of course they're going to do that. They will eventually reduce the Iso investment for 4*s to make the transition easier, trivialize getting 3*s, create a 5* meta, and then 6*s will appear. It's exactly what they did with the 4* tier, and the 5* tier, and it's obviously the design of their endgame.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    jredd wrote:

totally awesome hulk could easily, and should have been a 2 or 3* character. in fact you could drop him down there without nerfing him and no one would notice.

nothing against nova, but he should probably be a 3* too.

especially while people are campaigning for specific characters that make more sense as a 4* and it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Your thread title and opening line are confusing me. Are you asking if it's a bad move for players to stop focusing on and leveling 1-3*s or if it is a bad idea for d3 to stop making 1-3*s.

After asking the question, you claim that they've said as much. Said what? The question?

I'd like to contribute to the discussion, but I'm not sure where it's headed. icon_e_smile.gif