PvP tiers

Options
ErikPeter
ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
In PvE, if you don't do too well a couple times, you get put in an easier bracket. That makes it easier to do well in a PvE and feel rewarded for putting the effort in.

PvP could use something like this. There's different tiers, but I'm clearly in the top one as a 2 year player with every 3- and 4-star character in my roster. It would be encouraging if I could get top 100 in PvP anymore, or have a chance at one of the 4-star covers. Besides a couple token pulls and 100 HP, PvP isn't rewarding anymore. I joined a seemingly quiet bracket for Army of One, and in the last 17 hours of the event the leader went from 600 to 2939 points. 2939!!!

I get that the real rewards come from progression, but I don't enjoy the tense grind and shield popping to get to 1000. I've done it a couple times but my roster gets pounded on too much; It's more work than fun. (I'll probably change my tune if I ever have a max Jean Grey.)

My suggestion:
  • Players who can get 1300 in PvP get placed in a special "Master" event bracket seeded with expert rewards; e.g. double covers, or x3 ISO, or just a few more CP. But they compete for rewards against each other, not average joes. (PvP matchups are still picked from among everyone, as normal)
  • Players who don't get 1300 points drop back to normal PvP.

This would weed out the toughest competition, as the players who can reliably get 1300 would most likely do so for the token, even if it meant they're less likely to place first next time (as long as the progression improvements were worthwhile). But really only make them advance a little bit faster. If I have a chance at a 4-star cover, I'd be doubly encouraged make the push into the 1000s and actually compete.