Would you have preferred a 1star powered up tourney instead?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
The last tourney was brutal. Literally a bloodbath. And everyone was struggling with health pack loss. But in a way, everyone was fair game. Even experienced players have to forego their most favorite killer tactics to fight as the same level as the rising underdog.

A notable disadvatange though. There was an obvious lack of variety. 7 selectable characters, with Iron Man 35 and Modern Storm most common on that list, Hawkeye and Yelena least.

I admit it, the battles were fun. But, dealing with the aftermath, that lack of Health packs, that was the real pain in the butt.

In my honest opinion, I personally think that a tournament, with all characters allowed, but all 1-star characters are powered up +200%. This means all 1 Stars deal 3 times as much damage and 3 times as much health. This puts them on the same level as 3 stars.

1 Star characters, as basic as they may seem, some of them are very useful. In previous PVE events, we saw how powerful a 240 Juggernaut is. 6k damage for 6 AP. And Modern Storm. 10 Green AP, for a profit of 16 random AP + Cascades. If she were able to hit the same level as her Classic self, she would certainly be no less powerful. We never thought of characters like Juggernaut and Modern Storm as Overpowered, because they never broke the level limit.

Personally, I think that a tournament that featured no character restriction, but 1 star characters powered x3 would be fun. What about you guys?

Comments

• My only problem with the 1* tourney was the health grind. Each battle for me was a grind and tended to revolve around whether I got enough green to set Storm off before my opponent did (since almost every match featured her). I spent way too much time in the prologue healing up my characters every other match.
    Personally, I think that a tournament that featured no character restriction, but 1 star characters powered x3 would be fun. What about you guys?
    For gimmicky tournaments in general (and this suggestion in particular), I think the rewards should not be as good as they would be for a more normal tournament (as defined by the game). The forums are already full of complaints about people with 1* rosters topping the charts - this would only make it worse.
  • Indeed, 1 star users should be aiming for 2-star rewards.

Handing out 3 star rewards to 1 star users benefit very little people. 1), the 1-star users need 2 stars to transition, they won't be able to use 3 stars for a very long time. 2), the people who need the 3 Stars cover to advance will not be getting enough.

That's my take on the situation.
  • KidInsomnia
    Options
    mechgouki wrote:
    Indeed, 1 star users should be aiming for 2-star rewards.

Handing out 3 star rewards to 1 star users benefit very little people. 1), the 1-star users need 2 stars to transition, they won't be able to use 3 stars for a very long time. 2), the people who need the 3 Stars cover to advance will not be getting enough.

That's my take on the situation.

Or middle tier players who were smart enough to keep and level all their characs finally have a tournament they have a chance at succeeding in that isn't thoroughly dominated by Rich-Getting-Richer MPQ Overlords.

That's my take. ;D
  • mechgouki wrote:
    the people who need the 3 Stars cover to advance will not be getting enough.

Honestly, if someone who needed the 3 stars cover has not made the top 10 I'd be very surprised. Usually those with a better roster also have the time/resources to get health packs or have access to methods to quickly get back on their feet. Since almost everyone started equal on this tourney, what made you break through the competition was the ability to recover your team or shield at leisure to protect yourself.
  • Hmm, still haven't touched on the particular subject I was hoping.

Okay, what do you guys think if 1 star characters were brought to the same levels as that of a 2 star, or even a 3 star?

If Juggernaut was powered +200%, would you consider him OP? Of if Modern Storm was brought to the same level of Classic Storm? And IM35 having same level of IM40?

If these guys were powered up, what do you think? Will they own the 2 stars and 3 stars if they were same levels?
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Hmm, still haven't touched on the particular subject I was hoping.

Okay, what do you guys think if 1 star characters were brought to the same levels as that of a 2 star, or even a 3 star?

If Juggernaut was powered +200%, would you consider him OP? Of if Modern Storm was brought to the same level of Classic Storm? And IM35 having same level of IM40?

If these guys were powered up, what do you think? Will they own the 2 stars and 3 stars if they were same levels?
    Individually, I don't think they'd own the higher tiers. We saw most if not all of the characters get powered up level-wise in the Training simulator, and it was more about the combination of characters rather than any specific individual. With that in mind, I was quite wary of Modern Storm in the training sim. And Black Widow's stun was also occasionally problematic. But overall? Nah, their abilities are all pretty reasonable with high costs.
  • This got me thinking tho, it would be interesting to have a tourney that only for that particular contest, you could rent maggia members.
    It would drain some ISO as well as let everyone try out a free AP and strike tile thug that they've been **** about getting their hands on.
    At most if its too much worth, I think that would be a tourney that people will pay hero points to enter right? Not like the current bland elite no holds barred.
    icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Options
    They ran a free for all tournament with Juggernaut boosted 200% quite some time back. It was basically 3k headbutts all around.
  • Jeremychen wrote:
    This got me thinking tho, it would be interesting to have a tourney that only for that particular contest, you could rent maggia members.
    It would drain some ISO as well as let everyone try out a free AP and strike tile thug that they've been **** about getting their hands on.
    At most if its too much worth, I think that would be a tourney that people will pay hero points to enter right? Not like the current bland elite no holds barred.
    icon_mrgreen.gif

Jeremy, could you answer my question on your other topic?
  • Storm and Juggernaut would pretty much destroy all competition if they're brought to comparable level as the higher stars.

Some of the 1* are really overpowered and the only thing that kept them from dominating was because of their max level cap. They'd have to be balanced first before making a 1* powered up tournament or it'd just be equivalent of handing out max level Magneto/Spiderman to everyone.
  • I like the Lone Star format the way it is with the exception of the reward structure. I agree with the above posters that the rewards shouldn't be the new 3* character. Boosted 1* mixed with others isn't that attractive to me since I'd likely just use Storm and my fav 2* or 3* chars.

This tourney was interesting compared to the previous run of Back to Basics. I saw a lot more full level 1* this time around. Almost no one in my matchups had low level characters. That made for very equal battles and without boosts (sometimes with) the battles were pretty even and sometimes it came down to whoever got the lucky cascade. Which means to win this tourney you had to put more time into it so starting earlier in the event was almost necessary since there's no 1* healer and doing prologue healing is time consuming and tedious.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Storm and Juggernaut would pretty much destroy all competition if they're brought to comparable level as the higher stars.

Some of the 1* are really overpowered and the only thing that kept them from dominating was because of their max level cap. They'd have to be balanced first before making a 1* powered up tournament or it'd just be equivalent of handing out max level Magneto/Spiderman to everyone.

I have to new respect for Juggs. Teams with him gave me pause since his abilites are among the cheapest to pull off, especially among 1*. On defense he could be really handy. If they run another one of these which they probably will I'll need to level up a Juggs of my own icon_e_smile.gif
  • mechgouki wrote:
    In my honest opinion, I personally think that a tournament, with all characters allowed, but all 1-star characters are powered up +200%. This means all 1 Stars deal 3 times as much damage and 3 times as much health. This puts them on the same level as 3 stars.

mStorm with +200 buff? Ya kidding, right?
  • Headbutts aren't the only thing the Jugster can do. Don't forget the green cascades the strength of Hulk's. Still prefer Storm's though. For 4 more AP, generate 16 AP. But 6 AP for damage + chance of cascades is good.

Unfortunately, I think he is more useful on Defense than on offense. On defense, the 1100 damage for 6 AP deter people. On offense, that 550 self damage drains himself rapidly, making him need health packs quickly.

Anyone feels the same way?
  • As I said in the other topic, for me the tournament started as fun but turned into boredom and grind halfway. Due to the lack of variation.

Instead of power-ups maybe we could try for level capped/dumped one. Most other characters could enter playing at some cap on levels. With a few bans like spiderman it would probably mitigate the variability problem, and the more-star bunch is naturally weaker at same levels, so it would keep some edge to * bunch.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    As I said in the other topic, for me the tournament started as fun but turned into boredom and grind halfway. Due to the lack of variation.

Instead of power-ups maybe we could try for level capped/dumped one. Most other characters could enter playing at some cap on levels. With a few bans like spiderman it would probably mitigate the variability problem, and the more-star bunch is naturally weaker at same levels, so it would keep some edge to * bunch.

A total Stars sum for the team or a level cap on the characters would probably be difficult to program and implement. Hence, my suspicion why there hasn't been one up to now.

Still, as many people suggested, it would be nice to see a 5-stars per team tourney.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Headbutts aren't the only thing the Jugster can do. Don't forget the green cascades the strength of Hulk's. Still prefer Storm's though. For 4 more AP, generate 16 AP. But 6 AP for damage + chance of cascades is good.

Unfortunately, I think he is more useful on Defense than on offense. On defense, the 1100 damage for 6 AP deter people. On offense, that 550 self damage drains himself rapidly, making him need health packs quickly.

My jug got stuck at lvl26 for a good reason. icon_e_wink.gif Yep, offensively he costs trouble. probably good to headbutt the enemy storm but requires mandatory heal-up. On defense I had no trouble from him really, got maybe 3 headbutts overall in the whole tournament (and I had preference for jug parties), tanked by IM35. Think had one retreat after a lucky cascade and leaving me without options. Denying red is no problem as it is the first to collect naturally, and soon jug gets stinged endlessly as Storm starts her show. I keep my old opinion that im/storm/bw is the best * team by far with perfect synergy.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    A total Stars sum for the team or a level cap on the characters would probably be difficult to program and implement. Hence, my suspicion why there hasn't been one up to now.

Still, as many people suggested, it would be nice to see a 5-stars per team tourney.

Indeed star-total would require interface options that are not present. Though there's a simple way, just disable the 'fight' button if improper team is selected.

The level-damping should be trivial to implement.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Headbutts aren't the only thing the Jugster can do. Don't forget the green cascades the strength of Hulk's. Still prefer Storm's though. For 4 more AP, generate 16 AP. But 6 AP for damage + chance of cascades is good.

His cascade is way stronger than Hulk. It shatters 16 tiles. Hulk would need to be holding on to more than 20 green to do that, and the cost is much less (6 AP versus 10 AP). Yes, it does less damage, but it's not like you're relying on Thunderous Clap for damage either. Even while holding 30 green AP Thunderous Clap only does about 1000 damage.

On offense Headbutt is fine. If you scale it 300% then it'd be 1650 to self and 3300 to enemy for 6 red AP. Since we're talking about 1* powered up, that means Storm is almost certain going to be seen. Taking 1650 damage to put her away is far better than letting her stick around and pull off some nasty infinite combos. 3300 damage for 6 red is an incredible ratio and it's also very fast. It's almost certain to get rid of anyone who is likely going to cause problems like The Hood, OBW, or Storm (if buffed 200% she'd have around 4K HP too).
  • Phantron wrote:
    On offense Headbutt is fine. If you scale it 300% then it'd be 1650 to self and 3300 to enemy for 6 red AP.

Back then, the self damage remained the same while the damage dealt was boosted to 3.3k.