edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
1. 1 star characters are still fun
2. Hawkeye and Yelena are terrible
3. We need more 1 stars if we are going to have another tournament like this

Comments

• Phaserhawk wrote:

I'd also like to add that this tournament felt very fair as everyone should by now have any if not all 1* that they would like. This tournament should have been an excellent opportunity for newer players to compete for the higher tier rewards. The tournament finished in the middle of the night for me so I shielded 4 hours from the end when I was in 9th place and when I woke I had finished in top 45 which was a disappointment as I had been hoping for 2 Psylocke covers.

I don't know why Yelena and Hawkeye are terrible? I don't use them. Yelena's abilities do cost a lot of AP in my mind.

I don't think we need more 1* characters. Roster spaces are too valuable and costly to be wasted on 1* heroes. I've only kept three 1* because I feel they have some use in certain matchups or if other heroes are regenerating.
  • Sale Priced Cover Packs with useless heroes but a bonus of thousands of Iso is way more attractive than the usual cover packs offering x8 captains, x1 3* cover and x1 guaranteed hero.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:

1. 1 star characters are not fun... if you are a health pack
    2. Hawkeye and Yelena are good... for your tank team fodder
    3. We don't need any more 1 stars... but if you insist, a healer would be good icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

3. We don't need any more 1 stars... but if you insist, a healer would be good icon_e_biggrin.gif

This much is true. Or a health pack attached to every iso reward. I would have had fun reliving the glory days if I could keep the momentum going but it felt wasteful to use a health pack on so few hit points.
  • 1. I should have leveled up Juggernaut and Venom when I had the opportunity (me and many others of you guys, judging by the number of IM35/mBW/bStorm teams I faced)
    2. Yalena is worthless. Poor Hawkeye tries to pull his weight but he's more a deadweight.
    3. mStorm in the forest = neverending turns with the other team being used to wipe the floor.
    4. Shields are a good investment if used wisely, but being shielded doesn't mean you'll remain in the top5 (this may be old story for you, but being the first "serious" tournament for me I still had a lot to learn)

All things summed up I had a lot of fun, the last few hours gave me an idea of what it could mean to fight for a top notch tournament. very satisfied in my 2 Psylocke covers(I almost hoped for 3, but it would have required a commitment too high for me).

And after all, I'm still not going to level up Venom and probably I'll have to drop Juggernaut to make space for a GSBW I've had the luck to drop today from a standard token icon_razz.gif
  • As much as I would like to see more 1 star characters, it would cause too many problems in the progression of new players.

It would make more sense to make a few of the existing charcters more useful. Let Yelena heal people. Let Hawkeye throw down strike tiles. Let Venom be a red or green battery.
  • I learned that I'm willing to convert my hero coins to ISO at a decent rate given a chance. More cover packs with ISO rewards please (at least with that much bonus ISO, I bought both deals all 3 days, 1200 ISO / 100 hero coins isn't shabby).
  • Kappei wrote:
    1. I should have leveled up Juggernaut and Venom when I had the opportunity (me and many others of you guys, judging by the number of IM35/mBW/bStorm teams I faced)
    2. Yalena is worthless. Poor Hawkeye tries to pull his weight but he's more a deadweight.
    3. mStorm in the forest = neverending turns with the other team being used to wipe the floor.
    4. Shields are a good investment if used wisely, but being shielded doesn't mean you'll remain in the top5 (this may be old story for you, but being the first "serious" tournament for me I still had a lot to learn)

All things summed up I had a lot of fun, the last few hours gave me an idea of what it could mean to fight for a top notch tournament. very satisfied in my 2 Psylocke covers(I almost hoped for 3, but it would have required a commitment too high for me).

And after all, I'm still not going to level up Venom and probably I'll have to drop Juggernaut to make space for a GSBW I've had the luck to drop today from a standard token icon_razz.gif

Congrats on the Top placing in the tourney and that epic GSBW standard cover pull! I hope they do the 3* Hero lightning rounds for you this week!
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

This much is true. Or a health pack attached to every iso reward. I would have had fun reliving the glory days if I could keep the momentum going but it felt wasteful to use a health pack on so few hit points.

I think I used 15-20 health packs across the event, whereas in most tourneys I rarely use any (perhaps the odd one in the closing stages if a key ally is felled). If the prizes weren't the newly released Psylocke, I don't think I would have bothered with this event, but it's hard to tell how long new covers are going to be given away post-release. And with the number of new characters being released right now, you may have to get in quick, when they are on offer. I missed out on fully covering Hulk when he was released, as I didn't play every event around that time. Cost me valuable HP to finish him off icon_evil.gif
  • I thought it was the wrong decision to have Psylocke as the reward for this, usually the 1* tournaments are a great tournament for those with starter rosters to get some great rewards and compete, so make the top prize something a new starter would like, say 10 heroic tokens. Instead they make the reward the just released 3* character, that everyone wants for the new tournament, and so everyone jumps in for that magical top 5 ranking.
  • Congrats on the Top placing in the tourney and that epic GSBW standard cover pull! I hope they do the 3* Hero lightning rounds for you this week!

Thanks a lot, but I highly doubt I'm ready for the lightning rounds. icon_e_biggrin.gif

First of all, I'm still building up my 2*s roster, growing slowly and steady; also I don't have the disposable HP many of the participants in lightning rounds seem to have. To get those 2 Psylocke covers I had to ponder if it was a wise investment to spend my last 75 HP on a shield: turns out it was, but now I'll have to work hard to gather up the 250 HP I'll need for GSBW since I won't spend real money anytime soon icon_razz.gif
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    I thought it was the wrong decision to have Psylocke as the reward for this, usually the 1* tournaments are a great tournament for those with starter rosters to get some great rewards and compete, so make the top prize something a new starter would like, say 10 heroic tokens. Instead they make the reward the just released 3* character, that everyone wants for the new tournament, and so everyone jumps in for that magical top 5 ranking.

Good point indeed. People like me would have no interest in grinding for rewards like that, whilst the newer players get what they really need to push their roster on to the next level.

I seem to recall the last 1* tournament was run alongside another PvP - might have been a No Holds Barred? Perhaps that would have been a better set up, with the prize tiers for 1* event being like NF has described, whilst the Psylocke covers could have gone into a separate event.
  • Nick-Fury wrote:
    I thought it was the wrong decision to have Psylocke as the reward for this, usually the 1* tournaments are a great tournament for those with starter rosters to get some great rewards and compete, so make the top prize something a new starter would like, say 10 heroic tokens. Instead they make the reward the just released 3* character, that everyone wants for the new tournament, and so everyone jumps in for that magical top 5 ranking.

I agree 300%, the original 1* tournaments were called Back to Basics and only featured 2* heroes as rewards - perfect for newer players. Forcing veterans to suddenly drop all the personalization they've put into their teams and return to their roots is a neat idea - but a smidgen monotonous with only 5 characters being viable.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    I think I used 15-20 health packs across the event, whereas in most tourneys I rarely use any (perhaps the odd one in the closing stages if a key ally is felled). If the prizes weren't the newly released Psylocke, I don't think I would have bothered with this event, but it's hard to tell how long new covers are going to be given away post-release. And with the number of new characters being released right now, you may have to get in quick, when they are on offer. I missed out on fully covering Hulk when he was released, as I didn't play every event around that time. Cost me valuable HP to finish him off icon_evil.gif

I also missed the Hulk Cover Boat and have been sitting on a 5/0/0. I finally got my first black hulk cover pack when he was a guaranteed hero in that big 10-pack before Simulator ended. It took 3x 10 packs since my first two guaranteed Hulks were Green - finally my third 10x pack guaranteed cover was Red and the black hulk cover was the very last one in that pack. RNG was toying with my emotions. icon_lol.gif I was pleased as punch to spend 1250 HP to make him 5/1/4. I don't think I will finish his black - doesn't seem worth it to me.
    Kappei wrote:
    Thanks a lot, but I highly doubt I'm ready for the lightning rounds. icon_e_biggrin.gif

First of all, I'm still building up my 2*s roster, growing slowly and steady; also I don't have the disposable HP many of the participants in lightning rounds seem to have. To get those 2 Psylocke covers I had to ponder if it was a wise investment to spend my last 75 HP on a shield: turns out it was, but now I'll have to work hard to gather up the 250 HP I'll need for GSBW since I won't spend real money anytime soon icon_razz.gif

I was playing the Prologue this weekend to collect the 50HP mission rewards but now I am all out of free HP to farm - lol - I was a bit too thorough. I have won lightning rounds without shields before - there were a whole bunch of other events keeping people busy so there was less fierce competition. Hm... Where else did I find GSBW? She is a progression reward at the very top of the SHIELD training too but you would need to dedicate hours and hours and hours to keep your rank without shields... Possible but definitely an investment in time. Oh! And she is a Daily Reward/Resupply at Day 100 (or somewhere around there). GSBW is easily the cover I worked the hardest to get without spending HP. Good luck on your GSBW hunt! She is worth it!
  • My thoughts are "We really need some one-stars which people use besides IM35, modern Widow, and modern Storm".

I saw so many different people playing that lineup it wasn't funny.

This can be done via retools or via adding a new one-star character or two which is useful for PVP.
  • Teke184 wrote:
    My thoughts are "We really need some one-stars which people use besides IM35, modern Widow, and modern Storm".

This can be done via retools or via adding a new one-star character or two which is useful for PVP.

There are a couple already - Juggernaut and Venom. It was interesting to see the comments regarding Juggernaut over the weekend. The self harming is a drawback, but with 3500 health, it can be overcome. The ability to see off opposition teams in double quick time with headbutt after headbutt... it was a form of sadistic fun at times. I've kept him around since the first 1* event, figuring it would repeat in time, faith repaid! Venom's all encompassing stun and fair damage for devour, plus decent health represented a better option to me than either Storm or Widow too. I enjoy playing that tandem, but they are far too squishy and took too long to get going.

The IM35/MW/MS lineups I faced were absolute cannon fodder. I didn't encounter too many people with decent scores using that combo. Read into that, what you will.
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Teke184 wrote:
    My thoughts are "We really need some one-stars which people use besides IM35, modern Widow, and modern Storm".

There are a couple already - Juggernaut and Venom. It was interesting to see the comments regarding Juggernaut over the weekend. The self harming is a drawback, but with 3500 health, it can be overcome. The ability to see off opposition teams in double quick time with headbutt after headbutt... it was a form of sadistic fun at times. I've kept him around since the first 1* event, figuring it would repeat in time, faith repaid! Venom's all encompassing stun and fair damage for devour, plus decent health represented a better option to me than either Storm or Widow too. I enjoy playing that tandem, but they are far too squishy and took too long to get going.

The IM35/MW/MS lineups I faced were absolute cannon fodder. I didn't encounter too many people with decent scores using that combo. Read into that, what you will.

I won my tourney with a widow and storm team but I turtle shielded. If I had invested the iso, I would have swapped widow for venom but no way in hell would I cut storm
  • Teke184 wrote:

They cannot retool the base characters without it affecting the way new players progress through the prologue. That is why Hawkeye got "better" and why M. Storm will never get nerfed.
  • The Ladder wrote:

Ahem, 657 points icon_razz.gif

I may have been lucky (and I surely have, since this lineup is awful in defense), but I managed to get that way up with a clever combination of health pack use and a good intuition of when I could start a battle with half damaged team. As I've written elsewhere, also overusing the Forest with Storm helped to minimize the damage, and after my only loss in attack against IM35/Storm/Jugg I quickly learned to avoid the fight against heavily tanky teams: too slow and too risky.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I disagree with the no new 1 stars. How difficult is it to get a 1* character anyway. It would allow newer players a more diverse lineup and not so reliant on health packs, which in turn will allow them to do better in tournaments and get higher level characters. If no new 1*'s are coming, then Hawkeye and Yelena have to be reworked and the other 2 ability 1 stars need 3 abilities.