How about cupcakes in LR?

lukewin
lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Since ISO is so hard to come by, and LRs are the best source of ISO, why don't we try to make it easier to farm ISO in LRs by using cupcakes? We'd be able to play more matches in every LR, probably save a bunch of healthpacks.

EDIT - Did a poor job of conveying the point, by using the term cupcake, so I'll try again.

Imagine if you could play a LR as long as you wanted, the full 90 minutes if you wanted, because all the teams were on the level of seeds, or easily beatable teams. Right now, after seeds you'll either see max Patch/Dakens, 5* teams, JeanBuster teams, or maxed/close to maxed boosted characters. If you're playing for placement or have a monster team, you'll often continue to play on. Those just playing for ISO, usually stop.

You get the same ISO and possible drop reward for beating a seed team, as you do if you beat a 5* team. If everyone played with lower level teams, we'd all be able to play a lot longer, and grind out more ISO and cover drops. Instead of burning healthpacks and time going for 1 match, you'd probably be able to use more of your roster, win more matches, and gain more rewards in the same amount of time.

I've been going thru all but one of the seeds with my 5* for the match damage. Then usually take on a match to get the standard token at 250. I take on the last seed with 2 1*. I normally get hammered down, but I also get matched up with similar teams. If I'm around to clean up the retals, I get to squeeze in a few more matches at the end, that are similar to seed teams. I also get some defensive wins, from super new rosters, who somehow couldn't beat a lvl 1 3/5/5 Storm and 0/5 MBW, so no retal nodes there.

Comments

• Gowaderacer
    Gowaderacer Posts: 310 Mover and Shaker
    That would require shielding and most don't want to burn hp just to shield in LR.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know going into LR's there were lots of folks talking about using CC's...I never saw any of them though. The brackets are to big, you need a huge % of buy-in and most don't visit Line/Forums to know what is going on...they just think they are in bracket heaven.
  • lukewin
    Yeah, it would require a lot of people to participate for it to actually make a difference. Another downside, I could see, if you're using cupcakes to beat the seeds, then someone who joins later, has no seeds, hits you. you'd lose out on finishing all the seed teams you might've been able to get thru, if you hadn't been hit.

I don't know if it'd ever happen, but I think most get the point of the suggestion. That instead of seeing high level characters with every skip, you'd see 2* teams / easily beatable teams, that you can get thru pretty quickly or easier compared to just the boosted characters or high level 4*/5*. There wouldn't be huge healthpools to chip away at, to get the same rewards. Less work, same rewards. Work smarter, not harder.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually, since i only ever do seeds in LR's, would love to see this happen, and would be happy to join in so LR's turn into giant iso/2* cover farms.

This would solve so many shortage issues.. i know some go for placement, i am not one of them.
  • lukewin
    I'll probably be the change I want to see. Will be using loaner and my poorly covered 5* for their match damage to blow thru the seeds. I got up to 229 in the IM40 LR using the loaner and my 2/0/0 SS and 1/0/0 Phoenix. Tried to take on a non maxed 3* team to get the standard token at 250 using the loaner, a 120 Black Panther and Vision, but I wiped. So far, 3 teams have gotten points off my easy lineup.

So if you see my name in LRs, you'll have to deal with the health and match damage of the 5*, but SS probably won't be able to get off his blue and you should leave Phoenix for last. Enjoy.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Lr is all about playing as many matches as possible not where you end up placement wise. It's very easy to create your own cupcake matches.

Start lr immediately. Save a seed node. Climb to 250 to 300. Beat saved seed node with easiest possible team. Wait a little for the hits to come in. You'll be surprised how many super easy retal nodes you'll have.

Rinse & repeat until time runs out.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll start doing this, I'm thinking Cstorm, Fist & loaner should be fast for me and easy for others.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,411 Chairperson of the Boards
    Good idea, I'll jump on board this wagon too
  • hamsingame
    hamsingame Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Even if I use an easier team, I only have 5* teams in my nodes. Is there some trick to q'ing teams at about the same level as the team you use, rather than the team you COULD use?
  • Malcrof
    hamsingame wrote:
    Even if I use an easier team, I only have 5* teams in my nodes. Is there some trick to q'ing teams at about the same level as the team you use, rather than the team you COULD use?

when iso farming, beat the final seed with a 2* team, then let people hit you, some of the hits will be 2* teams.. remember, you arent going for pts, your going for iso
  • hamsingame
    hamsingame Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Looking at lukewin's 3rd post, looks like he managed to naturally queue a 3* team. Maybe it counts your average team strength over a few fights or something
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    My lvl15 2* have come in handy.
    If you see a jugs / BE or Moonstone / Bagman... leave me an easy retal

edit - Oh for crying out loud leave me a retal node

Loaner / Jugs (lv40) / BE (lv15)

sKAQS9Z.png?3

edit 2. Jugs was causing to many wins, switched to Jugs to Moonstone and that seems to have done the trick. Not sure how but only 1*/2* transitioners can q and fight me.
    HTOpjfn.png?2
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hear ya snaggle. I put in loaner/jugs/4cyke(lvl70) and had 2 hits come in - both with 3 maxed 3*s with 2 boosted each to 249 (so 249/249/166). meh. probably needed to climb higher, but fitting it in at red lights I only climbed to 250.
  • udonomefoo
    udonomefoo Posts: 1,630 Chairperson of the Boards
    edit 2. Jugs was causing to many wins, switched to Jugs to Moonstone and that seems to have done the trick. Not sure how but only 1*/2* transitioners can q and fight me.
    HTOpjfn.png?2

Hah! I came in to post the same thing. I tried this last night and used loaner IM40, lvl 167 Fist and lvl 40 Juggs.

End result: 5 defensive wins, one loss. ****? The loss was to a fully maxed 4* team that I would have skipped anyway.

I'll try it again, but initial results were not promising. Amusing, but not promising.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Before I was in 4* land, I came to find it didn't matter what 3*'s I would use for placement...so I might as well not try to place, but just take the seeds for ISO.

For probably twelve months I would save the easiest (level 1 IM, level 1 Storm) seed for the end - and then run it with a level 15 bagman and level 40 Black Widow. It was funny to see occasional wins out of that - more often I'd come back and see -150 points (back down to well below 50).
  • MPQ_Daywalker
    MPQ_Daywalker Posts: 384 Mover and Shaker
    Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whole concept of cupcakes only works in regular PVP because after a certain point (800 points?) your team is seen by everyone in the slice, regardless of MMR. Whereas in the Lightning Rounds we only have a (shorter time-)limited amount of points to get up to, and hitting 250 points in a LR doesn't seem to have the same effect as 800 in a regular PVP. Instead, MMR is determining who to show your team to based on its levels and that opponent's levels.
  • Malcrof
    Someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whole concept of cupcakes only works in regular PVP because after a certain point (800 points?) your team is seen by everyone in the slice, regardless of MMR. Whereas in the Lightning Rounds we only have a (shorter time-)limited amount of points to get up to, and hitting 250 points in a LR doesn't seem to have the same effect as 800 in a regular PVP. Instead, MMR is determining who to show your team to based on its levels and that opponent's levels.

the 800 rule is for cakes over 1k. I can q a 700 point one from 300 at times, in LR's, i can q someone at 500 points right after seeds, so shouldn't be hard.

Last 2 LR's i climbed to 300+, tossed out a cheesy low level team, took loads of hits, then did retals, made a nice chunk of change and 4 covers for 2* champions.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just finished off my seeds with OML/IF (someone managed to lose to me while I was doing that!) and saved WhatFlappinYo to drop a loaner/15Mags/15Ares. Let's see what happens...
  • Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    I have been dropping Loaner plus lvl 30 Storm and Ms Marvel as my last seed win.

I get hits from the usual Champed 5*s, but then hits start coming in from single cover 3s. It's retal city after that. I figure I'm getting another free 6-800 ISO out of it minimum.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only 4 hits in the last hour. One defensive win (??!), 2 champed JG and a mid level 3* team. Not exactly raining iso over here. I'd rather go for 2 heroic tokens