Semi-experience player looking for team suggestions

Options
SteelGolem
SteelGolem Posts: 12
edited January 2016 in Roster and Level Help
I've been playing the game for a year, but I'm not exactly a veteran yet. I still struggle to come up with teams that have good chemistry. Looking for a few suggestions on good team ups. Also how do I get one character to tank for the rest of the team? I always thought the middle character would occupy that role, but sometimes it doesn't always work that way. For example I try tanking with 3* wolvie on green, but other characters get swapped in on occasion.

Here are the teams I currently use.

Modern Thor, Classic Storm, Marvel Now Magneto - I love this team for the final level in Deadpool Dailies, I can usually go through all levels without losing a single point of health. I initially focus on pink and green to build up CS. By the time 2nd wave makes an entrance I have 30 blues for CS, I can stun the first 2 characters and hit the remaining one with Call the Storm. For enemies with countdown tiles CS can clear the screen or either use MNM to chain blues to eliminate rows or use MT to add 9 green tiles to cause a cascade usually. A really good team for PVE too.

Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Falcon - Still maxing out the levels on this team. Basically Falcon yellow matches improve attack and defense tiles, while building LC yellow attack.

Blade, Daken Classic, Wolvie Patch - Working on variations of this team, the goal is to have Wolvie or Daken tank for Blade. Or to replace Daken with Daredevil to kill enemy strike tiles after Wolvie's Berserker Rage.

Comments

• Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SteelGolem wrote:
    Also how do I get one character to tank for the rest of the team? I always thought the middle character would occupy that role, but sometimes it doesn't always work that way. For example I try tanking with 3* wolvie on green, but other characters get swapped in on occasion.
    I'll just focus on this. It's pretty simple: Whoever has the highest match damage for a given color tanks that color. In case of a tie, the middle character would indeed get priority, then the character to the left. If you want Wolverine to tank green, you simply need to avoid using characters with a higher green match damage (and keep in mind level boosts can affect this). The higher leveled your Wolverine is, the greater the chance he'll tank green.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cage and Fist have good synergy. It sounds like you're using Patch to good effect. Loki pairs well with Patch, and if you bring in a blue user like Daken, cMags or Doom, you can take down some big targets while taking minimal damage.
  • Calnexin
    Calnexin Posts: 1,078 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My favorite right now is CMag + Witch. The third would ideally have an active black and/or yellow, so if I have the option I go with Cage to mitigate damage. I've been using that duo to good effect in PvE. They aren't boosted, but their color and ability complement basically shut down the opposition. If you want to get all sentimental Quicksilver pairs perfectly, providing black and a superior green to Witch. I haven't tried it, though, because I really don't like QS. His most powerful ability is difficult to pull off, and doesn't have as big a bang as it should given the requirements.

For Deadpool enchilada I generally play Cage/LStorm/OBW. It's a bit of a slog (takes 10-15 min), but I've only lost once with them in the past year-and-some. I went with a Mag/Witch combo this morning and it worked well (~ 6-8 min), but I've lost with it in the past. Inability to heal can really hurt over 4 rounds, particularly if you're not certain you can wipe out the hero rounds without them getting a turn.

I've thought about posting up She-Hulk/Kamala/Gamora in PvP. It would be highly annoying to play against. Great defensive team because it's hard to get traction. KK heals more frequently due to cheap abilities, and those abilities steal AP (meaning you stand less chance of downing her with a run of abilities), and frequently swipe for damage. I haven't gotten there yet because I don't have Shulk or KK maxed out.

Blade + Cyc have good chemistry, as well. Cyc can create red if your board is short. Ideally you want your third to have either purple generation or an active green/blue power. Witch helps here, again, to provide purple and has a sub-par green. Grocket might work, supplementing inactive colors with relatively strong abilities. Beast makes a good third, as well, and gives the option of a team-heal if the board has enough red for Blade to create strike tiles (if it doesn't, you'll burn yellow on Cyc to create it).

Overall, when creating teams I start with one character and focus on a killer ability. Then I look for complementary abilities. Can they feed AP? Do they supplement abilities for other AP colors? The best teams are the ones that have active abilities in all colors, and can generate colors in your strongest ability. If you can manage that, the rest is a question of offense (clear the match quickly) vs defense (mitigate damage so you don't burn through health packs as quickly). There are other factors to consider (eg, destroying/stealing special tiles, board shake capability, etc.), but I feel it's better to relegate that role to your third character choice. Choose your main, find the best complement, and then fill the gap.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    my current flavor of the month is gamora/fist/hood. as long as fist's match damage isn't higher than gamora's, gamora will tank all 3 of her colors, meaning when she gets to 12 black, look out. in the meantime save up red/green/purple and when you get enough ap, unleash it all and the match is either finished or takes just a few turns. key is match damage of gamora/fist. I'm holding back a cover in queue on fist because if I add it, it would take a color off of gamora. people underestimate them quite a bit - probably a 50% def win %. there are so many good teams though - lots of threads about it.