So what am I doing wrong in PvE?

I was a semi-serious player for a long time, then got burned out and was just doing Deadpool Dailys to pass time. Now with the kick of champions, I've come back to play. I'm aiming to get the LT reward in the story events and it's a tip-of-my fingers fight each time (think I've only gotten one LT out of the last 6-8 story events I've done). I know PvE/Story events changed to a 8hr refresh, but there's still one thing that I don't understand.

How in the heck are people getting so many points in Story events?? Case in point, in this Prodigal Sun event, I'm sub-50 in my bracket with about 38000pts... the top 10 is all 65-75k pts... how am I getting blown out of the water like that? In the Wakanda sub, I ended up with 13k pts, i think... yet there were people with 20-25k.

My usual routine is to do a full clear about a hour or so after the sub has opened, then another full clear 8hrs later, and again.. then the last two hours I grind and clear the high point nodes down as low as I can. Yet in Wakanda, I didn't have a single node over 500pts... I'm just baffled.

And how do people get this many bloody points with lower level rosters? One guy who has 70k points so far has phoenix @ 255, and no other character over 130.

I'm sure there's some secret I'm missing, but I've searched the boards and can't find anything that would help. Anyone have suggestions/advice?

Comments

• Huatimus
    Huatimus Posts: 115
    edited January 2016
    You already highlighted what you did wrong. You need to make a full clear the moment the sub starts, not 1 hour later.
    You also need to grind down every single node to 1 point in the last 2-3 hours(EDIT:6 clears per node after reading Lukewin's post below). Not just the high point nodes.
    Points is not dependent on the level of your roster, all players have the same number of points available. However, the starting levels of the nodes are based on the top 3 guys in your roster. Therefore, if your roster is low level, you have easier enemies, and less enemy HP to grind through in the last 2-3 hours.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Zerapheus wrote:
    My usual routine is to do a full clear about a hour or so after the sub has opened, then another full clear 8hrs later, and again.. then the last two hours I grind and clear the high point nodes down as low as I can. Yet in Wakanda, I didn't have a single node over 500pts... I'm just baffled.

That 500 pts has to be a typo right? To maximize the pts, you do a clear, 8 hrs later a clear, 8 hrs later a clear. The longer you can wait and still do 5-6 clears in grind time, the better. I usually wait til the final 3 hrs, and I do generally do 5 clears. Grinding low to high is optimal, since pts generate linearly in the node. That's how people are scoring high. If there's 9 nodes, they're doing 45-54 nodes in grind time.

EDIT - I think you meant the node wasn't worth 500 pts. Every time you clear a node, it drops 1/6th of the value of a full clear. If you're hitting it multiple times, those points add up.
  • lukewin wrote:
    Zerapheus wrote:

That 500 pts has to be a typo right? To maximize the pts, you do a clear, 8 hrs later a clear, 8 hrs later a clear. The longer you can wait and still do 5-6 clears in grind time, the better. I usually wait til the final 3 hrs, and I do generally do 5 clears. Grinding low to high is optimal, since pts generate linearly in the node. That's how people are scoring high. If there's 9 nodes, they're doing 45-54 nodes in grind time.

EDIT - I think you meant the node wasn't worth 500 pts. Every time you clear a node, it drops 1/6th of the value of a full clear. If you're hitting it multiple times, those points add up.

I meant that the highest point node that i had after a 8hr refresh was 495. I know they go down after a clear. The three essentials in Wakanda started at 450'ish when I did my grind tonight. The IM+BP champ point node was the one that started @ 495.
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    Clear all the nodes at the end including the easy ones. Lots of points in there.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Clear all the nodes at the end including the easy ones. Lots of points in there.
    Indeed. Usually my rate of success is directly proportional to how much I grind the easy nodes. No risk of burning health packs there!
  • Lemminkäinen
    Lemminkäinen Posts: 378 Mover and Shaker
    Huatimus wrote:
    You already highlighted what you did wrong. You need to make a full clear the moment the sub starts, not 1 hour later.
    You also need to grind down every single node to 1 point in the last 2-3 hours(EDIT:6 clears per node after reading Lukewin's post below). Not just the high point nodes.
    This really, really, really isn't needed. Doing this you're fighting for a top 5 placing. The LT you get by making three clears per sub and a miniscule grind (twice, going three for the high-point nodes). Enemy of the State is a special case since the survival nodes have so many points in them that you need to grind them a bit more but all other PvEs reward you with the LT easily with what I outlined.

Edit: If you have all the essential characters that is! If you don't have them, then you need to grind quite a bit. Oh, and also have you noticed the repeatable nodes at the main sub? In Prodigal Sun there's three repeatable ones there worth a lot of points.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    That 500 point node is worth 1750 points when you grind it out in the last 2 hours (play to 1 point).
    You are leaving thousands points/sub
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    If your goal is to reach LT progression, there's another way to approach it. Prodigal Sun is a 7 day, 7 subs event. You need 86k points, which comes out to 12k+ per sub. So for me, I just made sure I get at least that much per sub in the early subs. Sometimes, the later subs offer more points, and that gives you more margin for error later.

Now, as far as grinding for points is concerned, the optimal approach to get the most points is to hit the nodes on the dot, or as close as possible, when the nodes are opened, repeat for two more 8 hour cycles, then start the final grind at 2 hours prior to expiration. Hit easy/trivials first, the normal/hards next, and essentials last (b/c they are usually worth the most points). You should be getting 5-6 times the points from a single full clear.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah if you can do the equivalent of three full clears plus grinds near the end, you should be fine. It's a lot of time investment, though! I used to do it religiously, but now I don't bother. Sure, my progression may be slower, but suddenly I have lots more free time! icon_razz.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huatimus wrote:
    No, that's not it. This would make no difference so long as hit every node 2-3 times at the end.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2016
    simonsez wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:
    No, that's not it. This would make no difference if he's really grinding down nodes like he says he is.
    I agree with this. not sure where the disconnect is, but I'm basically doing exactly what he's describing and I have 51K now after not starting until sunday night. joined slice 4 about a day after it opened in the 500s and I still climbed to t50 and should hit the LT tomorrow. I grind top down because I'm not going for t10 and that means I hardly ever see levels in the 300s. I did do some extra grinding last night because t10 sub was in reach - extra hp and a cp is worth some extra effort.

edit: don't forget all 3 of the nodes on the main page are replayable every 8 hours. that would add up to many thousands of points over several days for the main event (~700 pts per clear), but would not influence the sub pts.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Think I'll be able to hit the LT progression?
    Washington DC sub clears are >4K plus the 3 nodes on the main, so nearly 5K/clear, and pts usually go up towards the end. in 4 I have ~10 clears left (for 4 clears/sub) plus whatever grinding I choose to do. if you're in 4 or 5 I think it will be relatively easy. not 3 clears/day easy, but 4 should make it no problem.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    Huatimus wrote:
    No, that's not it. This would make no difference if he's really grinding down nodes like he says he is.
    I agree with this. not sure where the disconnect is, but I'm basically doing exactly what he's describing and I have 51K now after not starting until sunday night. joined slice 4 about a day after it opened in the 500s and I still climbed to t50 and should hit the LT tomorrow. I grind top down because I'm not going for t10 and that means I hardly ever see levels in the 300s. I did do some extra grinding last night because t10 sub was in reach - extra hp and a cp is worth some extra effort.

I'm currently at 45k (gonna do another clear in a couple hours' time). Think I'll be able to hit the LT progression?

I've been playing super casually. That is, three full clears per sub, and grinding only if i feel like it or to earn CP. Partly because my initial goal was to hit 62k for the second event token, partly because real life and sleep are much more important than a mobile game
    Yes. That is almost always enough to hit LT progression. You might have to do a bit of grinding on the last sub, but not too bad.

Usually I do a full clear at sub open, one more during the day, grind the CP nodes until I get the CP, and maybe hit the essentials once or twice more as well. The last two subs I'll do a bit of grinding at the end and this always has resulted in hitting the LT progression.