Is it worth level maxing 3*'s anymore?

Arimis_Thorn
Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
I'm no longer sure how to refer to my progression in the game. I think you'd say I was still in the 4* transition as I've only got 1 4* level maxed, but several cover maxed. I've got a handful of 5*'s and have dumped a LOT of iso8.png into my icon_silversurfer.png to the point where he's usable in PVP.

As with many folks, I find myself pretty consistently + iso8.png -starved. I play all the DPD's, LRs, PVE & PVP, but I'm at the point where I'm trickling a level or 2 per day into my most valuable 4*'s.

With the advent of Champions, it would seem beneficial to have all of my 3*'s (or at the very least, the best ones) at 166. For example, my Grocket is at 154, my SW is at 140), but for those 2 alone, that's 90K to top them off. Or that 90K could go entirely to my JG or Carnage or Rulk or 4Cyke.

I'm wondering at this point if having more 3*'s topped off would better serve me in the long run, or if I should just boost my big hitters slowly? Certainly I can cover more ground with the same iso8.png in 3* land, but having trouble choosing.

Thoughts?

Comments

• xidragonxi
    xidragonxi Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    I'm in a similar boat as you. I have 4 maxed, champed star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s (Thor, Hulkbuster, Jean, Thing) and I've almost championed all of my maxed star.pngstar.pngstar.png s, which is only maybe 12 or so of them. I've decided not to put any more ISO into leveling star.pngstar.pngstar.png s. My main priority now is collecting legendary tokens to improve my star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s. I haven't levelled any of them, but I have OML, Phoenix, and Surfer all with 3 covers each. I feel like with my current crop of star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png s I can compete in PVP and PVE enough to get 3-5 legendary tokens per week.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    What would you be more likely to skip?

HB@270
    SW@140
    JG@220

or

HB@270
    SW@166
    JG@270

This may be the last day you put any money into a 3*
  • Tredo
    Tredo Posts: 146 Tile Toppler
    Clintman wrote:

HB@270
    SW@140
    JG@220

or

HB@270
    SW@166
    JG@270

Did you mean to leave SW at 140 in the second example? Otherwise, you're basically arguing that all characters should be max level.
  • Natsufan01
    Natsufan01 Posts: 259 Mover and Shaker
    It would make more sense if SW was 166 in the 1st example. It seems they are trying to make a point that a max level 3 * is not as dangerous as a 4*. The OP knows this, but is deciding if the champ rewards for 3* are worth more than more levels for 4*.

Being behind this myself, I can only speculate, but I would say if you're at max covers for even a couple if the high end 4*, the rare LTs from championing 3* will not be worth as much as levelling the good 4*. You're taking a chance on the LT, which is likely a 4* cover you won't need, or you are making your good 4* that much stronger by levelling them. My two cents.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    For me, I don't get 4* often enough from other rewards, so getting the ones from champion levels is worth it for me to get all my 3*s championed. But almost all of mine were maxed when champs were introduced. I only have three left, Loki, IM40 and Vision. I also have four 2*s I'm slowly working on maxing to be able to get their champ rewards. It's a great system for a casual style like mine.
  • Jarvind
    Jarvind Posts: 1,684 Chairperson of the Boards
    A few are probably worthwhile. I'm champing a few of the 3*'s that get a lot of use (Cage, Fist, Scarlet Witch, etc). By and large though, you're probably better off focusing on 4*'s if you have the good ones (Jean Grey, Iceman, Cyclops, Hulkpuncher, Red Hulk).

One thing to keep in mind is that 3*'s were somewhat stealth nerfed by the champion change. Cyclops used to do around 11k with his black when the required reds on the board. I have him champed at 169 and it now only does 8-9k. Presumably it creeps back up as he gets champ levels but it was irritating to realize that ultimately championing will basically just give him more health.
  • rkd80
    rkd80 Posts: 376
    I think that due to the buff rotation + featured character still being a 3* there is still merit. However I would say that is the only merit, dumping tens of thousands of ISO for that LT token is not worth it.

I did this actually, I had enough ISO to max my RULK and instead leveled up a bunch of 3* from their ~140 range to 166: Deadpool, Mystique, Punisher, Loki, etc.

That will have continued benefit as their covers are awarded and will make things like LRs a bit easier where Punisher, Mystique, etc are buffed on a weekly basis. The only 3* I could not pull the trigger on was Dr. Doom - not sure why.
  • I think most of us are in the same boat and really it kind of depends. I've been consistently hitting 1300 with just IF and IMHB maxed - even if the featured character is only level 40. So for the purposes of hitting max progression - having more 3* characters on my roster doesn't add any value.

If you are still struggling to hit 1k or 1.3k due to a lack of developed 3* characters, then yeah it might make sense.

If you have already maxed all the top/mid tier 4*s and tired of throwing away those 3* covers, then yeah it probably makes sense.

But if you are working through any sort of 4* transition, then the ISO is better spent on 4* characters IMO.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    It may not be the smartest plan, but my plan is to max level all my 3*s before pumping ISO into my 4 or 5* characters. For one, having all my 3* characters maxed will mean I never have to "waste" a cover by selling it. Secondly, you can do pretty well in PvP using maxed and boosted 3*s. For me, at least, while my 4*s are starting to get decently covered, they require so much ISO to get them to a decent level that it's just daunting. At least with 3*s the end goal for each is within site (I have all but 8 or 9 already maxed and all of those are at least at level 120). If you're 3*s are lower leveled or not well covered, it might not be worth it for you.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,758 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would tell the OP yes you should eventually max all 3* if it was just to get the LT to have the chance for a 4*. Start with your 166 then get your top 4* up to max. Once you have 2-3 top 4* maxed you have enough to compete in PVP and you can level your 3* or your 5*. Just remember in a year if you are still playing you will be playing PVP against a 3* at level 266+ buff and your level 120 SW will be an easy target. The question is how you do it and how long are you willing to wait on your 4*
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    The easy target argument doesn't work, because all characters can be raised 100 levels.

266 no one, is scary to a 370 icon_ironman.pngicon_jeangrey.pngicon_iceman.pngicon_redhulk.png, and non of them detract from someone attacking you. If they've got a strong roster, they have a strong roster and if they have a strong 5 star leveled of any sort, unless you are talking unleveled/undercovered 5, its not even relevant.

Its worth max-leveling the ones who are good.

I can't tell you any particular instance where a 166 icon_quicksilver.pngicon_punisher.pngicon_sentry.pngicon_spiderman.pngicon_squirrelgirl.pngicon_storm.pngicon_falcon.png were totally not worth leveling one of the 4 stars above if you have them covered.

We've reached a point in the game where you don't need to cover and level all the 3 stars to be considered ready to transition.

Hell you'd be entirely safe only leveling the 4 4 stars i mentioned above and just selling all others for iso and waiting out your 5's and you wouldn't exactly be hurting.
  • GurlBYE
    GurlBYE Posts: 1,218 Chairperson of the Boards
    TO best answer the question.

Level who would make most difference in your roster/ who you want.

If you like x factor deadpool more than patch, go for it.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    As far as competing in PVP goes, I'm pretty consistently hitting 1300, so I'm not hobbled by any means. My one maxed 4* is Hulkbuster, and maxing him out has helped me immensely, which is also why I put so much ISO in SS. But focusing ISO on one character feels like slower progression, but that may just be an illusion. I may in fact get more value out of dumping all of my ISO in JG rather than spreading it out over a couple of 3*s

For the record, the 4*'s I have cover maxed, but not level maxed are:
    Carnage
    XFW
    Thoress
    Invisible Woman
    Professor X
    Nick Fury
    Ant Man

Jean Grey has 12 covers
    Red Hulk has 11
    Iceman, Elektra, Devil Dino, Thing have 10

The rest have 9 or less
  • DrStrange-616
    DrStrange-616 Posts: 993 Critical Contributor
    My initial reaction was no. Heck, it's not even worth leveling most 4*s. It feels like a handful of them control what's left of the non-5* game.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tredo wrote:
    Clintman wrote:

HB@270
    SW@140
    JG@220

or

HB@270
    SW@166
    JG@270

Did you mean to leave SW at 140 in the second example? Otherwise, you're basically arguing that all characters should be max level.

I think its more the implication with 4* and 5* chars, a 140 3* is the effectively the same as a 166 3*. Yes, I know that by definition a 166 is higher than a 140, but when the other two chars are 270, 30 lvls doesn't really make that much of a difference.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    My initial reaction was no. Heck, it's not even worth leveling most 4*s. It feels like a handful of them control what's left of the non-5* game.

I had also considered this option. I only have 4 covers each on my OML and Phoenix, but those 2 in particular get much more usable pretty quickly. It took my SS 7 covers to be where I was willing to dump ISO into him.
    I could just hoard my ISO and when I get another cover or 2 for OML or Phoenix just dump it there, but as more 5*s are released, that will slow those covers down even more.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    It may not be the smartest plan, but my plan is to max level all my 3*s before pumping ISO into my 4 or 5* characters. For one, having all my 3* characters maxed will mean I never have to "waste" a cover by selling it. Secondly, you can do pretty well in PvP using maxed and boosted 3*s. For me, at least, while my 4*s are starting to get decently covered, they require so much ISO to get them to a decent level that it's just daunting. At least with 3*s the end goal for each is within site (I have all but 8 or 9 already maxed and all of those are at least at level 120). If you're 3*s are lower leveled or not well covered, it might not be worth it for you.

In a recent pvp event, I broke 1.6k using only 3* characters (all champed though). I keep my 4s at 181 for pve scaling purposes and chose to spend my iso on maxing/championing 3s. so far the decision is working out great. icon_lol.gif
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    GurlBYE wrote:
    TO best answer the question.

Level who would make most difference in your roster/ who you want.

If you like x factor deadpool more than patch, go for it.

I prefer American idol deadpool over x factor deadpool
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    I did it for the legendaries but I'm debating on if I want to level those who sit at 120/130. Anything at 140 will probably be the last in which make it. After that point, I feel I will have all the good characters champed and can fully focus on leveling each 4 star one at a time. With my recent focus in PvE, I've had some extra ISO to spare and 3* will be immediately more beneficial to level than my 4* because I'm still trying to earn a damn OML Y. icon_e_sad.gif
  • dr tinykittylove
    dr tinykittylove Posts: 1,459 Chairperson of the Boards
    I would say if you already have the 3*s at a high level and use them often, go ahead and max+champ them so that you get the benefit of added levels and returns on invested resources since we have a regular influx of covers from ddq, pvp and pve. Not champing them means you get 500 iso per cover. Champed gives you a level, and anything from 500 iso to 50 hp to 2cp and more legendary/heroic tokens and 4*covers.

If your 3*s are low level and you don't have a strong 3/4* pvp team already, then yeah, focus on putting that together first, before championing anything that's just going to sit on the shelf unused.