Hibernum_JC
Hibernum_JC Posts: 318 Mover and Shaker
edited February 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Hey folks!

It took a while (sorry!) but we’re finally on here! Let’s introduce ourselves:

Hibernum_Ben
Hibernum_JC
Hibernum_Marie

We each have different responsibilities with MTGPQ. Ben has been with the project the longest, and you might have seen him in some videos - he’s the man with the plan, the guy behind the game at its earliest! Ben’s duties involve a bucket load of planning while also taking care of the new features in the game. Marie is our QA girl extraordinaire, who handles a lot of stuff, and who will be taking care of you guys mostly for the bugs and support - she’s probably going to pop in with some questions for you guys to help us reproduce issues when you have them and help out as much as she can. As for myself, I’m the guy in charge of cards and content! I take cards from the physical game, adapt them into our game and rebalance them (so you can blame me for Harbinger of the Tides! I know, I know, I made a mistake there…). I’ll be mostly talking to you guys about balancing and the game’s content.

It took a bit of time for us to get here - apologies for that! We’ve been incredibly busy prepping the first of many updates to come. Hopefully this one gives you a peek on what’s to come moving forward!

Rest assured that we have been reading the forums quite extensively, looking for feedback (1.3 brings a first batch of answers!), and we’re going to be more active on here from now on. It’s all about hitting cruising speed!

Don’t hesitate to ask us questions, and we hope you guys are enjoying the game!

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Welcome! Nice see meet the brains behind the "Magic" !
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Welcome to the forums! Glad to hear developers will be taking part in the community discussions for this project!
  • Jaymar30
    Jaymar30 Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Great to have this kind of contact from the development team!

Looking forward to any kind of information that you can provide on future content. Periodically dropping in to the forum goes a long way for keeping me as a player feeling informed and keeping the game feeling new and exciting.

I think you have a really unique product on your hands with such a fantastic application of the MtG property. I hope you continue to support this game for years to come!
  • DrNno
    DrNno Posts: 18
    Hello devs!

Happy to see an organized team, ready to endure our assaults, er, I mean our friendly questions and suggestions. icon_e_wink.gif

Will we see one of your guys/gals in charge of the network/servers, to inform us about possible outages?

I second the opinion that you have an incredibly deep game in your hands, with a big potential to become a reference in match-3 games, and I am impatient to see the next iterations of MtGPQ. Balance-wise this will be a nightmare for you, but I would die to be in your position icon_e_biggrin.gif.
  • Hi Devs,

I'm looking forward to your interactions with the community.

Thank you for your hard work.

Cheers!
  • Hibernum_JC
    DrNno wrote:
    Hello devs!

Happy to see an organized team, ready to endure our assaults, er, I mean our friendly questions and suggestions. icon_e_wink.gif

Will we see one of your guys/gals in charge of the network/servers, to inform us about possible outages?

I second the opinion that you have an incredibly deep game in your hands, with a big potential to become a reference in match-3 games, and I am impatient to see the next iterations of MtGPQ. Balance-wise this will be a nightmare for you, but I would die to be in your position icon_e_biggrin.gif.

I'm always up for questions/suggestions/assaults! I might not answer right away since we're still super busy, but I'll do my best!

I'll talk to the team about outages. It's a network game, so these things will happen from time to time, unfortunately, but we can do our best to predict them.

And thanks for the kind words about being a reference to match-3 games. It's my personal hope (and the entire team shares that with me) that we do become the reference point for this type of gameplay, and we'll always strive to do the best game that we can.

As for balance, it is a nightmare, but it's an incredibly fun nightmare. Figuring out how to piece together the puzzle is incredibly engaging, and I couldn't ask for a better job at the moment. It's never going to be perfect, as no game with this complexity is ever perfectly balanced, but I do try to make sure things aren't too unbalanced (ahem Harbinger, I know).
  • DrNno wrote:
    Hello devs!

I'm always up for questions/suggestions/assaults! I might not answer right away since we're still super busy, but I'll do my best!

I'll talk to the team about outages. It's a network game, so these things will happen from time to time, unfortunately, but we can do our best to predict them.

And thanks for the kind words about being a reference to match-3 games. It's my personal hope (and the entire team shares that with me) that we do become the reference point for this type of gameplay, and we'll always strive to do the best game that we can.

As for balance, it is a nightmare, but it's an incredibly fun nightmare. Figuring out how to piece together the puzzle is incredibly engaging, and I couldn't ask for a better job at the moment. It's never going to be perfect, as no game with this complexity is ever perfectly balanced, but I do try to make sure things aren't too unbalanced (ahem Harbinger, I know).
    Can't even begin to say how good it feels to have some sort of official acknowledgement of Harbinger's brokenness.
  • Great to see that you guys are trying to get involved with the player base. I have two quick questions:
    - When can we expect update 1.3?
    - Will some of the objectives in Story mode be modified? (Some are simply impossible, mainly the one that say win in 7 turns or less)
  • Yep, I heartily agree that you being here is a good thing!

Having issues with the game isn't the key problem for most of us. It's more the lack of feedback and respect for us as users (beta testers in some areas!). The fact that you are now here, is a major step up. The potential of this game is huge, and we don't want to see it fail any more than you do.

Onwards and upwards....
  • Hibernum_JC
    Humfrie wrote:
    Great to see that you guys are trying to get involved with the player base. I have two quick questions:
    - Will some of the objectives in Story mode be modified? (Some are simply impossible, mainly the one that say win in 7 turns or less)

1.3 should be coming soon! I don't have an exact date, but it's soon.

As for the objectives, we're still gathering data about them, so there's nothing to announce.
  • Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Humfrie wrote:
    Great to see that you guys are trying to get involved with the player base. I have two quick questions:

As for the objectives, we're still gathering data about them, so there's nothing to announce.
    f1d82b2ac2d4d62b826aea2d80217aa91e05902337214d26c5140dbed531edd3.jpg
  • Meto5000
    Meto5000 Posts: 583
    Enoc99 wrote:
    Humfrie wrote:

f1d82b2ac2d4d62b826aea2d80217aa91e05902337214d26c5140dbed531edd3.jpg

I think they're going by the Blizzard definition:
    As defined by Blizzard Entertainment: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Meto5000 wrote:

I think they're going by the Blizzard definition:
    As defined by Blizzard Entertainment: "Soon" does not imply any particular date, time, decade, century, or millennia in the past, present, and certainly not the future. "Soon" shall make no contract or warranty between Blizzard Entertainment and the end user. "Soon" will arrive some day, Blizzard does guarantee that "soon" will be here before the end of time. Maybe. Do not make plans based on "soon" as Blizzard will not be liable for any misuse, use, or even casual glancing at "soon."

I am 100% stealing this for use later!
  • crazyinsanity
    crazyinsanity Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    I'm new to the forum myself but "Welcome devs!" And Hello to everyone else. I'm a daily player and look forward to what is in store in the upcoming patch and beyond.
  • Welcome devs!

I've noticed in the story mode that the condition: win without summoning creatures with 0 cost seems broken. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

Also, in the quick match: sometimes it'll read my hp full but when I play I can be anywhere from -2 off max to being at 0.

I'm new to the game and I'm really digging it so far. Can't wait to see what y'all do with the update!
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Necroben wrote:
    I've noticed in the story mode that the condition: win without summoning creatures with 0 cost seems broken. Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

I think that one's just a display bug. The "0" is a secret code for "defender", you need to not summon any creatures with the "defender" trait. I think it's meant to show the defender picture instead of a "0"
  • Welcome to the forum. It seems most of the especially whiney folks are gone, aside from me. You have the potential for a helluva game here so I look forward to seeing what 1.3 eventually has to offer.

Aside from bugs which will surely get squished, one of my biggest concerns is duplicate cards. Do you have any hints to offer on what will be done with these? As a player, I know I'm discouraged to spend any money knowing that over 95% of what I open will be the equivalent to nothing at all.

As far as balance, are you able to share your thoughts on the interaction between rarity and power? Magic certainly doesn't shy away from "strictly better" cards and a pay-to-win model.

In a similar vein, how does mana cost play into your decisions? In Magic the card game, you generally don't play cards that cost a ton of mana unless they're going to win you the game right then and there. In this game, even a 9 power monster will take 8 turns to kill an opponent with 70 life. Devourer is certainly overpowered, but at least you don't regret drawing it unlike most other mythic rares. If I'm going to take 3 turns to cast a 20 mana card, I want it to have a *big* impact on the board.

Finally, dual-colored Planeswalkers plz? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Hibernum_JC
    ecoKady wrote:
    Welcome to the forum. It seems most of the especially whiney folks are gone, aside from me. You have the potential for a helluva game here so I look forward to seeing what 1.3 eventually has to offer.

Aside from bugs which will surely get squished, one of my biggest concerns is duplicate cards. Do you have any hints to offer on what will be done with these? As a player, I know I'm discouraged to spend any money knowing that over 95% of what I open will be the equivalent to nothing at all.

As far as balance, are you able to share your thoughts on the interaction between rarity and power? Magic certainly doesn't shy away from "strictly better" cards and a pay-to-win model.

In a similar vein, how does mana cost play into your decisions? In Magic the card game, you generally don't play cards that cost a ton of mana unless they're going to win you the game right then and there. In this game, even a 9 power monster will take 8 turns to kill an opponent with 70 life. Devourer is certainly overpowered, but at least you don't regret drawing it unlike most other mythic rares. If I'm going to take 3 turns to cast a 20 mana card, I want it to have a *big* impact on the board.

Finally, dual-colored Planeswalkers plz? icon_e_biggrin.gif

For rarity/power, typically, the rarer the card, the more powerful it is (or at least the more complex it can be). We don't have to stick to what paper Magic does, so it gives us a lot of leeway into how we do cards.

I won't go into too much detail as to how I calculate mana costs (it would take forever!) but since we use a mana model that is free-flowing instead of static mana gains each turn are very different than in paper magic - you slowly go up, whereas in our game you can get 3 one turn and get 12 the next. Since the model is this way (and also since mana is accumulated on cards instead of being spent as a resource that regenerates every turn) we can really afford to have cards that cost upwards of 20 mana.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    I played this game for a few days, and it's certainly an interesting take on the physical MtG game I played back in the mid/late 90s. I noticed that the card deck is limited to ten cards for this mobile game, compared to sixty cards for the physical version, and I've had matches where I could no longer draw any more cards. I recognize that a ten card deck makes the match go more quickly, compared to hearthstone for example. But the limited deck, in turn, means that a player who lucks into an OP card will have a strong advantage. I'm wondering if the deck will be limited to 10 cards, or at some point in the future players can customize their decks to add more cards?
  • Jrmac212
    Jrmac212 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    I just started playing MTGPQ about 15 days ago, and been making sure I collect the daily activity. I was 16 days away from collecting the fat pack when it reset. Just would like to know when I make 31 collections in a row will I get the fat pack.