Player groupings

My wife and I have been playing Puzzle Quest for a little over a year. We noticed something today that is quite odd. We both opted to start our latest story line game at the same time. However, after playing for most the day we noticed that her top 10 rankings and my top 10 rankings were different. Now, since we started at the exact same time, how is it that we got put into different pools of players? Additionally, how does the game decide on who to group together?

This is very disturbing as she got a little over five thousand points and in her listing she was in position six. I received a little under 10,000 and was at position 34.

Any information or speculations would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    It's part of D3s brilliant 'let's make it harder for better players/rosters' initiative. If you win, the game must be too easy for you so you get lumped together with other winners until you don't win anymore. Yay!
  • I think IceIX mentioned that there is more then just Noob and Vet brackets, and she may have gotten a medium-difficulty one?
  • drcassino
    drcassino Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    There have seemed to be more than 2 brackets for some time slices in the past few events. My guess is that this was done to make it more difficult to game the bracket system, but I could imagine it resulting in "fairer" placements as well.
  • drcassino wrote:
    There have seemed to be more than 2 brackets for some time slices in the past few events. My guess is that this was done to make it more difficult to game the bracket system, but I could imagine it resulting in "fairer" placements as well.
    Yeah, I've definitely tried to join a fresh bracket and found myself in a 2nd vet bracket that wasn't quite full. It's rare, but it does happen.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've definitely tried to join a fresh bracket and found myself in a 2nd vet bracket that wasn't quite full. It's rare, but it does happen.

That 2nd vet bracket is the often misreported intermediate bracket. There's noob, intermediate and vet. Intermediate is very rarely reported in the PVE rooms, and always confuses everyone.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daiches wrote:

That 2nd vet bracket is the often misreported intermediate bracket. There's noob, intermediate and vet. Intermediate is very rarely reported in the PVE rooms, and always confuses everyone.

Because no one has any idea what the criteria are for being placed in a given bracket.

One of the finest "Guess the Rules!" things they've ever implemented, in a sea of "Guess the Rules!" changes.