Facing a lot of unupgraded Nissa decks in PvP

Options
shteev
shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
Hiya! Loving the game, playing a lot of PvP recently. I've noticed that I come up against an awful lot of Nissa decks, and many of them are still playing some or all of the underpowered cards from Nissa's startup deck: cards like Elvish Visionary, Caustic Caterpillar, Llanowar Empath, and Orchard Spirit. Playing so many of these games gets a bit repetitive. I wonder if perhaps in a later update the opponent finding algorithm could weed out of few of these for more experienced players?

Thanks!

Comments

• We are likely in different ladders and my experience is similar.
  • It's inevitable - think of all the people who play the game for half an hour and then give up. They all just have Nissa starter decks which all go into the database to be chosen from randomly. It becomes less of a recurrent issue aat higher levels, but a lot of people still stick with Nissa.
  • >It's inevitable - think of all the people who play the game for half an hour and then give up

Yes, but this happens also in higher levels too.
  • Irgy
    Irgy Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    WWWorm wrote:
    >It's inevitable - think of all the people who play the game for half an hour and then give up

Yes, but this happens also in higher levels too.

At higher levels, think of all the people who level up their PW and never buy cards (or buy a few but don't get anything good in green) then stop playing. Or not even stop playing but just start using a different colour and never get around to updating their green deck. That's why I think they should start people with a random planeswalker or make people choose one to start with.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It's inevitable that there will be a lot of these decks around, but not that the game should choose so many of them for me to play against. There's no advantage to a player that their deck is selected as an AI opponent to be played against someone, so why shouldn't a smaller and more varied subset of the total number of decks available be selected as a possible pool of opponents?
  • Recently, I've been seeing a lot of top level Nissa decks, with stuff like Herald of the Pantheon, Dwynen, and Outland Colossus (which I hate, by the way).
    In order of most to least common, my PVP encounters are-
    Nissa, around 60% of the time.
    Chandra and Gideon, both around 30% of the time.
    Jace, around 10% of the time (which is good, because he's a grind).
    And Liliana, never. I think out of ~150-160 quickbattles, I may have encountered one Liliana.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    We don't have a real pvp system yet. Hopefully when they start a system with rewards, you'll have to join the event (like you do in MPQ), so you'll only face teams owned by active players.
  • A side effect of the vast number of unupgraded Nissa decks is that it is not really worth while including high-cost supports in your deck, because after spending all that manna, you will just get the thing killed by Conclave Naturalists as sure as eggs is eggs.
  • Yea I never see any Liliana.

I can see why, despite her having a decent (even great) deck, the way she wins doesn't really go well with fast, or flawless wins without taking damage.

She has bad defenders, fairly inefficient creatures, and her control takes a bit to take hold. Each of her drops is great but it takes a bit of time to get there.

She also is completely terrible without rares/mythics. I would likely say she has by far the worst uncommon deck of any planeswalker.