PvP and Rank 1

AdamMagus
AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi All,

How many times in the past three seasons have you achieved Rank 1 in the individual PvP events (e.g. CoverSquirrel), NOT rank 1 overall in the final season rankings.

Personally, it's been a really long time for me, it dates back to the year the game launched, the days of CMags, Ragnarok and later Sentry.

My current roster is not bad by any means, I have two 4*s at 270+ (Jean, Thing) , several others in the 190-220 range (X-Pool, Hulkbuster, Prof X, XForce, Ant-Man, Ghost Rider, Mr Fantastic(really?, yes really)), and the usual 3*s maxed out, CMag, Thor, Daken, Cyclops, Scarlet Witch, etc. but none of that really matters, reaching Rank 1 is so far out of my league nowadays that I've come to accept the fact that I won't reach Rank 1 again, it may require coordination via Line that I simply don't have the patience for. Kudos to those of you that do, I never imagined seeing first place at 2000+ points.

Am sure some of you have also changed your approach to the game as I have, reaching 1000 points is what I shoot for, I get my 4* cover, shield, and call it a day. Reaching 10k for the season is my other goal and so far I haven't had a problem achieving that either, so that's good.

Anyway, what got me wondering is threads such as 5 star beat downs, where quite a few of you are reaching 1300+ points yet do not finish Rank 1.

So am curious, how many times in the past three seasons have you achieved Rank 1 in the individual events such as CoverSquirrel, Hallowpoint Kiss, etc.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've never done it and don't think I ever will. The only shot I have, is if I take a long enough break from PVP, to get placed back in the baby brackets. That or get incredibly lucky with 5*, max them, and spend more time than it's worth PVPing.
  • Peej13
    Peej13 Posts: 165 Tile Toppler
    I didn't even get top 25 with 2100 points.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think last time was around a year ago, when I deliberately entered a late bracket and got lucky.
  • alphabeta
    alphabeta Posts: 469 Mover and Shaker
    1500 didn't make t50 in squirrel girl pvp
  • avs962
    avs962 Posts: 319 Mover and Shaker
    A couple seasons ago, I won two events back to back. I desperately needed the red HB and blue Jean Grey, so I wasn't going to stop until I got them. Each event, I ended with a bit over 1700. Haven't done it since, however.

Interestingly though, over the past 8 or so tournaments, I've reached 2,000 or more points three times. Only once was it even good enough for top five!

Sadly, without high level five star characters, I don't see it happening for me anytime soon. It's difficult to win when your roster is dwarfed by four star rosters, let alone those with maxed/high level five stars.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    First requires one of 3 things:

a) a maxed OML
    b) Willingness to spend obscene amounts of HP on shields to continually do 3-8-24 cycles
    c) getting lucky with a late bracket in the last 2 hrs of a low scoring slice.

c) is your best bet, that's how I got my two first place finishes in the last 6 months.

And yes, in most slices, expect 2500+ for first.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't even remember the last time top 1 in PvP was relevant. The reward isn't worth the amount of effort. With the current way the game is, I'm finding it easier to just go for top 5 in PvE. Seriously, I'm shocked at the fact I am playing PvE for covers now and its not a new character. PvP I'm still doing 1k-1300 depending on my mood.
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    Never have, never will!!!

I could try to enter a slice very late, but then I'll probably get a very low score, so that won't help my alliance at all.
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,233 Chairperson of the Boards
    First place? Hah! I've finished T100 maybe three times TOTAL in my MPQ career, have only hit 725 maybe 5 or 6 times, and NEVER hit 800 or above.

Maybe that will start to change as I bring more 3* up to champion status (my champion CMags has gotten me a few surprise defensive wins lately), but I doubt it. Work & family time just don't afford me the play time to hit higher scores.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    First place? Hah! I've finished T100 maybe three times TOTAL in my MPQ career, have only hit 725 maybe 5 or 6 times, and NEVER hit 800 or above.

Maybe that will start to change as I bring more 3* up to champion status (my champion CMags has gotten me a few surprise defensive wins lately), but I doubt it. Work & family time just don't afford me the play time to hit higher scores.
    Scores depend a lot on the slice you pick too - my 1450 points were good for top 25 in slice 3, but slice 4 seems to be the one with the really crazy scores. You may want to try a few different end times and see if that effects your score positively or not.
    Obviously it helps to have fully covered and -leveled boosted characters too.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Loads of T5, couple of #2, still have yet to win a pvp.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only one in five-hundred could possibly be this person. Likely it is the same people doing it again and again, so I would expect the number to be very low.

I have been first once, ever. Many, many seasons ago when it was IW as prize which I needed and 2nd didn't, it was a two-person race and 2nd considerately let me have it when I asked.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Only once with a late start in Rock Me Amadeus that snagged a fresh bracket. That required a last minute hop to leap frog the only other contender.

Otherwise, I've only placed first in sparsely populated lightning rounds while up with my kid in the middle of the night.
  • cletus1985
    cletus1985 Posts: 276 Mover and Shaker
    Pulled it off twice in offseason events. A BOP the 1st time, and maybe Divine Champs? (not sure) the 2nd. During the season I'm lucky to snag t10 a few times.
  • MojoWild
    MojoWild Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    I push for the 1000 mark, time it so i can shield to the end and call it good. Don't want to spend the hp or the grind to hit 1300.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Never. In 500 days I think I only managed to sneak in the Top 25, or was it Top 10, once by dropping in in the last hour.
  • With maxed 5* rosters topping even the lowest tiers, #1 is a dream for the rich. With a mixed 2*-3* roster, 500-600 points can usually get me in the top 100 or 200. Preferably without shielding, since I can't earn those HP back at that point.
  • JamieMadrox
    JamieMadrox Posts: 1,798 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't have a maxed 5* roster but I have/could have gotten first a lot the last few seasons.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Misread PVP as PVE and answered 6-10 times. Change one of those votes to 1 time. Got it when I got my first 2k by doing a last minute hop and accidentally hopped over the frontrunner.
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Only twice.

Once for an Antman cover nobody wanted during off season and once for Rhulk red. I had to ask Villains to pass first to me, though. If I was legit competing against Villains and rest of NJL, I would never get first lol.