MPQ on Steam and in game currency

hamsingame
hamsingame Posts: 66 Match Maker
Hi all,

I play MPQ on a PC from Australia and occasionally buy in-game currencies. Steam prices (which are always in USD, at least for Australians) are currently $100 for the biggest currency purchases which exchanges to about 150 Australian at the moment. However, I see that on mobile devices those buys are about 130 Australian dollars.

So two questions:
a) is there anyway to not get ripped off when playing on Steam from a non-US country
b) is there anyway for me to get an Apple device and link a Steam account and an Apple device account solely so I can make use of the fairly common iTunes card sales I see when I want to buy currency

thanks

hamserino

Comments

• SirLanik
    SirLanik Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    Prices will vary because they respectively go through Valve and Apple for the purchases. There's no way to purchase things through Apple and use them on Steam, they're completely separate platforms run by separate companies.

A. You're not getting ripped off, that's what that company charges/has to pay relative to your country.
    B. No.

This also isn't a technical issue or bug.
  • Cypr3ss
    Cypr3ss Posts: 155 Tile Toppler
    hamsingame wrote:
    a) is there anyway to not get ripped off when playing on Steam from a non-US country
    hamserino
    Unfortunately not in this instance, cause you're in Australia. Steam (Valve) was all set to introduce AUD prices when the ACC took them to court, see here and here.

And it appears that Valves defense is "we weren't trading in Australia"... and allowing purchases to be made in AUD would obviously not help their case... so no AUD prices atm... possibly ever, depending.

There also isn't a way to link your Steam MPQ 'account' with a mobile platform... cause of :reasons: so yeah, I'd suggest not spending money on it, or start an Android account icon_e_smile.gif
    SirLanik wrote:
    A. You're not getting ripped off, that's what that company charges
    You are getting ripped off. If you have to pay more for the same product or service from a different vendor/salesman(in whatever currency you like to work in) you are getting ripped off. When i can acquire product X from vendor A for $50 but vendor B charges $80 for the same thing, yeah that's a rip-off.
    SirLanik wrote:
    This also isn't a technical issue or bug.
    But it is technically an issue! icon_e_biggrin.gif

Regards,
    Cypr3ss.