5 Star effect fixed?

Tony_Foot
Tony_Foot Posts: 1,790 Chairperson of the Boards
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Has this been fixed yet, any word on if it has or when? I saw it talked about in a Dev video and wanted to explain my woes.

I was using a 2 star level 94 max covered roster. I was gathering 3 stars through ddq and fighting similar people until I got to 600 points and then fighting 3 stars max covered but under levelled. As expected. Then I got a 5 star surfer from a token.

From the very next pvp I was fighting nothing but max covered 3 star rosters range 120-140 and the odd 166. I took this for as long as I could before putting iso into my 3 stars, very few were max covered. I hoped this would give me a better hope.

As soon as I did this, took 20 of my 3 stars to 120 (not fully covered), all that happened was the range of my foes then moved from 120-140 to straight 166 on every match past the initial feeders.

So again I got 5 of my 3 stars fully covered and piled in the iso and championed them. Now all that's happened is instead of 166 I'm getting people with pretty damn good 4 star rosters past the feeders. Currently in my queue a 13 covered Jean and 13 covered HB of a villains member when I have 100-130 points on the board and they have a four star roster I'm a year away from matching.

So is this the fix? Is this as good as it get's for me since dropping that 5*? Now for a while now I have struggled with the temptation to sell him but this would then put me in a situation where I can't spend either CP or open legendary tokens through fear of hitting another. Making the whole thing a bit pointless.

I'd love to give my account to a dev and say now see how you ****ing do in pvp. I like a challenge and I got that with my 2 star roster but now all I'm doing is progressing and pushing the boundary past 100 points further and further away.

So is this fixed? What's the timescale because I think I have to turn my back on pvp, move to pve and not bother opening any of my winnings?

Comments

• Heartburn
    Heartburn Posts: 527
    since cover gaining is mostly random you tend to build some heroes that you end up not using. with the addition of 5Stars this becomes game breaking to some players. Maybe as a temporary fix when starting an new story/pvp event it allows up to 3 character to sit out of the event (become unusable in the joined event) as a consequence they do not figure into the calculation.
    i was thinking of this as a challenge mode (choose your own heroic) where you can choose to deselect heroes the more that sit out increases the rewards you get some being a progression based reward (ISO, hp, CP, tokens, covers) and then they also charges and iso/hp/cp( maybe making it less effective on hp and cp) multiplier meter the more characters that sit out, it increases the meter. 4 or 5 heroes to make the multiplier increase one level.
  • Tony Foot wrote:
    Snip

So is this fixed?

Short answer: no :/
  • Razamataz
    Razamataz Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Nope the devs are too busy counting there money from all the whales buying tons of packs to champion everything icon_lol.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think there was hope early on when 5* were not common, they could be excluded... but they never did it.

Now, they are all over the place and they are adding more... so I see no fix for this other than excluding 5* from PVE and not using them in the scaling calc, or having two separate PVP categories one that includes 5* and one that excludes 5*.

I see no fix in the near future, which is a bummer, since I'm only just now beginning my 4* transition with my first 4* cover maxed... and I pulled and rostered a single Red Silver Surfer. Now my scaling is a little tougher since my next highest character is champed 3* Torch at 176 then KK at 174. It's been somewhat manageable but super frustrating.

We'll see how my season turns out. Unfortunately the only 5* I pulled is now only available through purchased LT's so I have a very low likelihood of pulling a second cover for him as a F2P individual. Which means that if I pull my earned LT, if I get another 5* it will be a totally different one that if I roster will utterly destroy my scaling and MMR beyond manageable.

I need to move to 4*, but am scared to because of the risk of pulling 5*... that is just not right.

Scaling is what made this game playable by all different levels of roster progress, but 5* broke the game to me. I can only bank on my back luck on pulls for so long before I get worse luck and pull a 5*.
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 568 Critical Contributor
    It feels like a no win situation. If you don't open legendary tokens you can't get the 4 star characters that are required for essential nodes in PVE events. If you don't have those characters you are at a huge disadvantage for earning points to place high enough to get more 3 star covers. However if you open those tokens you risk pulling a 5 star character that destroys your scaling and makes the game unplayable or at least not fun anymore.

What other game has a situation where you receive the rarest "best" item in the game and it's a bad thing? And other players best advice is to throw that character away? Even though people are on the forums in other threads complaining about going months without seeing a five star character? Even if I had the option to trade a five star character in for another Legendary token to try again for a 4 star I would still be annoyed that I'm forced to not keep the best characters in the game just because I haven't been playing long enough to use them properly yet.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    HaywireII wrote:
    What other game has a situation where you receive the rarest "best" item in the game and it's a bad thing?

This quote is so important to me personally.

I don't understand the mentality that the devs have.....well....most ever when it comes to this game really....but especially when dealing with how you progress in the game.
    • Progression is mostly completely random: Most games, your progression is based on things like your ability or your time invested. MPQ, progression is almost completely based on random token pulls, and has almost NOTHING to do with ability.
    • Progression Punishment: Have you spent a ton of time building yourself a really good roster? Have you spent a decent amount of cash fast-tracking your roster? Have you been incredibly lucky enough to get yourself a 5* before your roster was technically ready? Congratulations! You've earned yourself the following prizes: Brutal PVE scaling! Far superior PVP opponents! And the best prize - Frustration with knowing lesser rosters can get the exact same prizes as you because somehow that's fair!

My favorite thing about this game is the variety of the roster. That's why it's so frustrating that my PVE scaling has basically forced me to use only a certain 3 or 4 characters. I'm not looking for easy - I'm looking for fair and fun.
  • The OP Should just be happy. There are others of us, that are fighting all PVP battles against 300+ Enemies, as soon as we pass the feeders.

100 Points - Vs. 330 / 280 / 450

Yeah... I remember when I was a 2* guy that got 1000 Points.
  • Just my 2 cents, but there's no way they're going to fix this. Heck, it's probably not even possible depending on how the game was built. On top of that it makes you use more health packs, which translates into more money for D3. I don't mean to be cynical or anything, but I just can't see them changing something that makes money like that.

I've got about 6 maxed 3 star characters that are the best on my roster. I've gotten a couple OMLs, Jean Greys and 1 SS, I've only kept the Jean Grey covers. Just keeping 1 5 star character seems to lessen the effects to the point that its tolerable for me now. Having all 3 on my roster made even my essential nodes in PVE unbeatable. It burned me really bad having to sell 2 of the rarest characters in the game but I got over that pretty quick when my scaling went back to normal.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I the last video update they said they're working on "quality of life" I think was how they put it. Specifically scaling as well as a number of other things. Give it a month maybe, the next video might explain things better.
  • Lee T
    Lee T Posts: 318
    Nope, a friend of mine revolving around mid-tier 3* got his first 5* and saw a significant increase at the start of Prodigal Sun (significant enough that he noticed something was weird while he's never coming on the forum).
  • Tony_Foot
    Decided I'd had enough, sold the 5 star cover as people with an extremely similar roster to me without the 5 star are having way more fun with match up's and don't get what I get until 800 points, which I get at 101 points. Sad to have to sell a cover that people are desperate to find and it means the end of spending CP and opening legendary tokens for me, which seems more than a bit daft.

Hey ho, onwards and upwards, maybe..
  • CNash
    CNash Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Has it been absolutely confirmed that scaling takes the average of your three highest-leveled characters only? If this is the case, why not go by the average of your top ten highest-leveled characters instead? This is far more representative of the strength of your roster, as your top three may be composed of characters who don't work well together, or (in my case) two out of the three may be one-cover 5*s, practically useless when facing a team of well-covered, level 220-270 boosted 3*s and 4*s.

With only my top three in Hollowpoint Kiss - GSBW@286, Surfer@255 and Phoenix@255 - my average is 265, so I'm facing 4* teams from the get-go while I don't yet have any 4*s past level 150. Boosted 3*s are good, but the raw power of 4*s overwhelms them - especially when my only boosted 3*s are the terminally squishy Hood and Blade. Expand this to top ten, and my average becomes 212, which should expose me to far fewer 4* teams from the start of the event. This would lead to some challenging, but beatable, matches with maxed 3* teams and a few non-maxed 4*s.
  • rastafari7
    rastafari7 Posts: 75 Match Maker
    No.
    Had 10 3* at 166, as soon as I had 2 5* I was facing maxed 4* in pvp after the first match, before it was maxed 3*.
  • slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony Foot wrote:
    Has this been fixed yet, any word on if it has or when? I saw it talked about in a Dev video and wanted to explain my woes.

I was using a 2 star level 94 max covered roster. I was gathering 3 stars through ddq and fighting similar people until I got to 600 points and then fighting 3 stars max covered but under levelled. As expected. Then I got a 5 star surfer from a token.

From the very next pvp I was fighting nothing but max covered 3 star rosters range 120-140 and the odd 166. I took this for as long as I could before putting iso into my 3 stars, very few were max covered. I hoped this would give me a better hope.

As soon as I did this, took 20 of my 3 stars to 120 (not fully covered), all that happened was the range of my foes then moved from 120-140 to straight 166 on every match past the initial feeders.

So againd piled in the iso and champione I got 5 of my 3 stars fully covered and them. Now all that's happened is instead of 166 I'm getting people with pretty damn good 4 star rosters past the feeders. Currently in my queue a 13 covered Jean and 13 covered HB of a villains member when I have 100-130 points on the board and they have a four star roster I'm a year away from matching.

So is this the fix? Is this as good as it get's for me since dropping that 5*? Now for a while now I have struggled with the temptation to sell him but this would then put me in a situation where I can't spend either CP or open legendary tokens through fear of hitting another. Making the whole thing a bit pointless.

I'd love to give my account to a dev and say now see how you ****ing do in pvp. I like a challenge and I got that with my 2 star roster but now all I'm doing is progressing and pushing the boundary past 100 points further and further away.

So is this fixed? What's the timescale because I think I have to turn my back on pvp, move to pve and not bother opening any of my winnings?

with 5 stars now being the new 4 stars you will never see a fix. they got bigger problems to fix like normal scaling in a pve.. my scaling did not even add up

STAGE 1 ESS 120 2nd to last node 160 Final nod 190
    STAGE 2 and 3 ESS 150 to 160. 2nd to last nod 250 Last nod 230

thats right the nodes before the final node was higher then the final (and this is without even touching them)
  • xevanx
    xevanx Posts: 2
    Pulled my second icon_silversurfer.png cover. Still haven't used him for anything since I'm afraid he's gonna mess up my scaling, but I think I have been seeing 4* players coming up sooner in my queue.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    As someone who doesn't even have usable 4*s yet, I decided to sell my 3 5*s as frankly I dont see me having them in a usable state at any point in 2016. My scaling dropped by an average of 50 levels and I'm now enjoying the game a lot more. If you are not bothered about having the 5*s, I cant recommend enough getting rid of them.
  • Wooodd
    Wooodd Posts: 187 Tile Toppler
    I have 3 1 cover 5*'s on my roster (everyone but SS), and the next highest are 6 or so champed 3*'s (173 being my highest with KK).

I find in PvE my highest nodes are about lvl 250 (which is around the same as the boosted 3*'s) so whilst it is higher than comfortable it is manageable. At least for now, until I get hit by events that have none of my maxed 3*'s boosted, then I'm buggered.

That being said PvP is a grind (other than the sim as I had no 5*'s at the start of the season, so there its pretty much all 166's). The other events all hit me with the Jeanbuster wall at around 200-300 pts.

I know what your thinking "why roster 3 5*'s on the bounce like that?" but getting them one cover on one day and then hitting two different ones back to back a few days later I couldn't bring myself to sell them.

I just know that as soon as I do, David or Cthulhu will be here the very next day to announce that its been fixed.

Predominately a PvE player anyways so I guess I just soldier on.
  • Tony_Foot
    Well very next pvp and it's fixed my scaling to where it used to be, maybe a little higher matches later on past 250 but nothing way out like a wall of 4 stars when all I have is 20 odd 4 stars with one cover. Glad I sold surfer black. I won't open any more legendarys though until I have a core of useable 4 stars. If I had more 5 stars I don't think I would have sold and carried on, but black surfer, meh.
  • kalex716
    kalex716 Posts: 184
    As someone who doesn't even have usable 4*s yet, I decided to sell my 3 5*s as frankly I dont see me having them in a usable state at any point in 2016. My scaling dropped by an average of 50 levels and I'm now enjoying the game a lot more. If you are not bothered about having the 5*s, I cant recommend enough getting rid of them.

This is a misconception. If you don't have usable 4 stars... You only need to get lucky with like 4 or so covers of someone like OML, and he is better than probably 80% of maxed 4 stars.