best character now?

Options
Unknown
edited February 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
i quit and recently started to play again to see new characters such as Ares, Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil, Patch Wolvie and Psylocke. I noticed that Rag and Thor has been nerfed...so im just wondering who the best characters now (i assume spidey and magneto are still top picks)

Comments

• In my opinion, the best character is the one you have the most fun with. I love patch, but others hate him.
  • Spidey. On paper he may not be the best, but that stun lock and healing is often required to beat some of the pve at high levels.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mstorm, obw, and a good 3star
  • akboyce
    akboyce Posts: 283 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    You are correct. Spidey and Mags are both still top tier with Spidey being almost necessary for some PVE events. The downside is they are both in line for some funbalancing so who knows what will happen to them.

Beyond them if you are asking because you are wondering who to invest in I would encourage Punisher. He is not the overall best at any one thing but does many things very well. Strike tiles, punch tiles, and an execute that you will love against every 230 or buffed character. He and Spidey make a strong pair that allows for whatever the third required character for the event is to slide right in. He also seems relatively balanced and unlikely to suffer a beating at the hands of Ye Ol Nerfbat.

Or just use who you like or whoever is being encouraged via buffs in events. M Storm and Cap seem to be in a near constant state of buffed in PVE.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spider-man and Classic Magneto still on the top. Hulk, Classic Storm, Patch not far behind. Thor still way up there.
  • Ares is a great character for the 2* set. Solo-target massive nuke, AOE nuke, huge HP pool. Pair him with OBW to eliminate potential health problems that he inflicts on himself, and you've got a tourney-ready duo.
  • starsrift wrote:
    Ares is a great character for the 2* set. Solo-target massive nuke, AOE nuke, huge HP pool. Pair him with OBW to eliminate potential health problems that he inflicts on himself, and you've got a tourney-ready duo.
    I feel like Thor is still better though. He has that whole dropping tiles to build up his abilities thing and doesn't hit himself on the chance that that sunder tile will remain intact. They're still both solid choices though. And obw is probably the best 2* at this point, especially in pve
  • Typhon13 wrote:
    starsrift wrote:
    Ares is a great character for the 2* set. Solo-target massive nuke, AOE nuke, huge HP pool. Pair him with OBW to eliminate potential health problems that he inflicts on himself, and you've got a tourney-ready duo.
    I feel like Thor is still better though. He has that whole dropping tiles to build up his abilities thing and doesn't hit himself on the chance that that sunder tile will remain intact. They're still both solid choices though. And obw is probably the best 2* at this point, especially in pve

Thor is good, but his nukes are more expensive. And his red nuke is a confusion. 3 tiles generated? Moderate damage? Pick one or the other. :/ Ares is a bit more focused, I think.
    But Thor's still a great pick, and Wolverine is a solid pick also.
  • Hard to pick a top ATM. OBW / doom / hulk / punisher / spidey / BWGS / Thor / ares

And more. There's tons of good investments ATM.
  • Too Easy wrote:
    i quit and recently started to play again to see new characters such as Ares, Hulk, Punisher, Daredevil, Patch Wolvie and Psylocke. I noticed that Rag and Thor has been nerfed...so im just wondering who the best characters now (i assume spidey and magneto are still top picks)

They reconfigured Thor so that his Thunder Strike at 5/5 places a lot of green tiles and that his Call the Storm 5/5 does a lot of damage. Based on my experience fighting him since his "nerf", he is much more dangerous. Players might not like the change to him but the AI can use him much more effectively. That tells me that that similar to The Hood, Spider Man, Magneto, Wolverine 2*, that it will take another couple months before people realize how good he is. We will then go through another round of "nerf Thor".

On paper Ragnarok wasn't overpowered. In practice his ability was OP because he flooded the board with green tiles, starving the opponent of necessary colors. They didn't intend for Ragnarok to drown the opponent in a color they couldn't use. I myself, playing carefully, have taken down teams with ragnarok and spider man. In general, if the average level of the team was around 90 it was a moderate challenge but I could usually win with a one-star lineup. Any higher than that I'd have to rely on a 2-star team, but I could usually beat any Ragnarok/Spider-Man team.

The green generation was always the most difficult part to deal with.
  • I agree with the "Thor is still solid" camp, but his best spec changed, for sure. 3/5/5 is the clear winner now. Probably he and Original Black Widow are still the best initial investment.

For the three stars I really like Punisher. Like others have said, good all around character. Looking at Psylocke and the upcoming Black Panther, it looks like a trend the devs are continuing. Solid, balanced characters that are not so laser-focused.
  • Magneto is still the best until he gets his nerf. He has a one-shot and maxing either his red or blue makes those powers spammable. Joined with any character that creates strike tiles, Magneto can finish the match on his own in one good turn.

I will miss him after the nerf, but I understand that it has to happen.
  • I strongly suggest Black Widow (Original). There is rarely a situation when she wouldn't come in handy. She may not be the best character in the game, but she's the one You will use the most.