That long cascade sound

edgewriter
edgewriter Posts: 68 Match Maker
edited January 2016 in MPQ General Discussion
Is there a purpose to the sound effect that goes off in game during a multiple match cascade. If I recall correctly past puzzle quest games had bonus experience or something that were signified by a similar sound after a multiple match cascade.

I have been playing MPQ game for two years and have always wondered what the point of the sound was. I haven't ever noticed any bonuses come from it.

Comments

• Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    there's sound in this game? icon_twisted.gif
  • edgewriter
    Yeah, I usually play with the sound off as well, but there's this chime that goes off when you've had a cascade of certain length.
  • madok
    madok Posts: 905 Critical Contributor
    I'm pretty sure that actually started out as the "Fatality" drop from Mortal Kombat in the beginning but was replaced due to licensing restrictions. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Since I find the sound effects so annoying, I play MPQ w/ mute on. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • TheRealJRad
    TheRealJRad Posts: 309 Mover and Shaker
    edgewriter wrote:
    Yeah, I usually play with the sound off as well, but there's this chime that goes off when the AI had a cascade of certain length.

fify

icon_lol.gif
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since I play with the sound off too, the only sound I hear is my deep sigh, silent cursing under my breath and then I have to wake up the phone because it fell asleep from the cascade and subsequent slew of AI abilities. Yesterday I did my first move and got 3 Purple, yes! closer to whaling... AI did it's first move, 3 match 5's. Sigh, curse, wake up the phone.
  • puppychow wrote:
    Since I find the sound effects so annoying, I play MPQ w/ mute on. icon_mrgreen.gif
    This.

I haven't heard the sounds since like 18 months ago. I wonder if anything changed...

Nope.. back to mute it is.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    I remember when they released She-Hulk and I had to turn the sound back on to see what everyone was complaining about.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the sound is a throwback to the first Puzzle Quest (maybe the sequel too?)

If you got a long enough cascade you got a free turn, if I remember correctly.

Baffles me how much stuff was in the first PQ and how each version of PQ afterwards has gradually stripped bits out. You could build castles, build weapons, open locks, bash down doors, capture monsters and train them...
    I liked the monster thingy especially since it gave you a pile of colours and told you to make moves that would eliminate them all without running out of moves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZU1FAP ... hH&index=2
  • mpqr7
    mpqr7 Posts: 2,642 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's just a fun little sound no further bonuses. I rarely play with the sound on. I wish they had more than around 3 songs.

I can produce new music for you guys if you'd like!!!
  • edgewriter
    Yes! More variety in the music would be great.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    It's to wake you up so you know your team is dead and to get ready to use some health packs. Sorta like a tornado siren, letting you know you might get destroyed shortly. (Or in the case it's your own cascade, sorta like a battle horn going off). These are the things I think about when I'm bored...
  • For all the talks about AI Cascades...

...doesn't this sound only play when YOU make the Cascade?

Like there's a little upbeat jingle for like 1-2 seconds that plays, and will play multiple times if it gets really long and all.

That's what this is talking about, right?
  • The Bob The
    The Bob The Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    I remember when they released She-Hulk and I had to turn the sound back on to see what everyone was complaining about.

I assume you're referring to HAAAAA!!!

My personal favorite comes with Patch's Beserker Rage, or as it's more accurately called, the Flying Sneeze.
  • edgewriter
    colwag wrote:
    For all the talks about AI Cascades...

...doesn't this sound only play when YOU make the Cascade?

Like there's a little upbeat jingle for like 1-2 seconds that plays, and will play multiple times if it gets really long and all.

That's what this is talking about, right?

Yeah. It's a short congratulatory sound. In past games it meant a bonus, like extra xp or something. In this game it means nothing evidently.
  • Norrin Radd
    Norrin Radd Posts: 65 Match Maker
    DayvBang wrote:

I assume you're referring to HAAAAA!!!

My personal favorite comes with Patch's Beserker Rage, or as it's more accurately called, the Flying Sneeze.
    The she hulk sound is one of my favorite as well, also all of the different sounds deadpools whales make at different cover levels is also really cool.