Should You Stockpile Covers?

Options
Unknown
edited November 2013 in MPQ General Discussion
I currently have 19 cover slots (only two free). I have been selling off every one-star cover I get, only keeping my maxed out one-star Iron Man. This latest Venom tournament has got me thinking that maybe I should invest in a few more cover slots so that I can keep these one stars and start building up their powers... I'm still a bit unsure if I should invest more real money for a for more cover slots to do this, or to just buy a few more covers.

Comments

• I tend to keep most of my covers and spent some real $$$ to invest in more slots. You never know what kind of tournament is next and I like keeping covers on-hand just in case.

I do sell-off some. Dark Wolverine and Dark Bullseye are redundant, for example - both 2* characters with the same colors (though Dacen's powers are both passive and I could see a build using both). I don't see myself ever using Spider-Man Bag Man. I have yet to get a Loki cover but I doubt I'd keep him based on his general uselessness. I've also sold any Dark Widow covers since if I want to use a 1* with black/purple I like Venom more.

The rest I've kept.
  • If I had real limited space, here's who I'd keep hold of.

1* - Iron Man, Storm, Black Widow, Venom
    2* - Wolverine, Thor, Storm, Daken, Bullseye, Magneto
    3* - Spider-Man, Ragnarok

This is my Dirty Dozen... I can build my strongest 1*, Avengers, Dark Avengers and unrestricted teams from this line-up.

If I'm allowed a few more spaces, I'd pick:

1* -Juggernaut (purely for defending in 1* tournaments)
    2* - Maybe Hawkeye and Moonstone (but would drop them both if needed more room
    3* - Black Widow, Doctor Doom, Magneto
    4* - Wolverine (in the hope he gets revised and because he's the only Legendary)

That's 19 slots, would need 20 to be able to pick up any covers that landed in my store. Of course, we can expect to see more heroes soon, which is why I always recommend spending HP on more storage instead of random covers unless you're willing to spend lots and have both.
  • I keep all the covers I get since you never know what tournament is coming. I spend on more slots since I'd hate to sell a cover that I might end up needing in the future. I'm a hoarder so I even hang on to useless Hawkeye just in case. I don't use my iso to level them up unless there's a tourney though.
  • I use to think that space wasn't that important and stayed on 7 total for a while. I then started spending my recruit tokens and realized how badly I needed more room if I wanted to keep some useful characters that I can use in the future, especially in tournaments. I have a total of 13 right now, but i'll probably need a little more room when I decide to spend the rest of my tokens. I advise you to buy more room with the Premium Coins you get from missions and tournaments if you plan on getting a lot more characters from iso and recruit tokens.
  • I'm a hoarder. Building up a 2nd Cap and a 2nd Thor currently. I hope I don't get to the point where I have to sell cards I want.
  • I'd agree it's good to keep as many as you can, never know what the next tourney might require.

That said, I've not spent any money on the game yet, and I have 21 cover slots, but only 2 empty. As soon as I get the Model 40 Iron Man from the event, that'll be 1 free slot. Other than buying healing 5-packs a few times near the end of a tournament, and once on 150-point random cover, all my coins have gone to cover slots.

I got a Loki once, from a recruit token I think, but I discarded him because I had only a few slots at the time. I've also discarded any Juggernaut or Yalena so far, but I haven't collected all of them from the prologue yet.
  • DecoyDuck
    Options
    I'm totally stockpiling and sending every HP to slots. Seriously, I've never even taken my 2/2/2 Bag-Man into a battle, but I have this paranoia that some future "update" will re-jigger some abilities and previously useless (or just plain baffling) covers will become super-effective.

Bonus paranoia: I'm squatting on a bunch of Standard hero tokens hoping that the covers get refreshed as well. I don't want another classic Hawkeye!!!
  • With the new Thor tournament, I am sitting on a 4/3/4 Thor as well as two green ability Thor covers, which brings up two questions...

1. Is saving Thor covers to build a second Thor worth it? Probably not, as the Iso investment to level just one is killing me right now...

2. Is the green Thor skill worth maxing, or should I sell the green covers to free up the space (AKA what's the "best" Thor build)?
  • I threw those green covers of Thor away. Having a 5th cover of his Red and Yellow are much better.

I probably wouldn't build a second Thor. The amount of ISO you would need to spend to get him to a decent level would be too much (for the few times you would actually need him).
  • Yeah, completely agree with toxic. Go for 5/5/3 and sell off the extra covers
  • I think I am missing something. Why is a 5/5/3 Thor better than a 5/5/5, if you have a couple of extra covers for the last power? They don't take up cover slots once you use them train. Is it just that the power starts to cost more AP?

Thanks
  • cadamus wrote:
    I think I am missing something. Why is a 5/5/3 Thor better than a 5/5/5, if you have a couple of extra covers for the last power? They don't take up cover slots once you use them train. Is it just that the power starts to cost more AP?

Thanks
    Because total upgrades cap at 13.
  • Wow I didn't know that. Is it 13 for everyone or does it vary?
  • cadamus wrote:
    Wow I didn't know that. Is it 13 for everyone or does it vary?

It's 13 for all characters that have 3 skills. Obviously, characters with just 2 skill has max potential of 10 talent points.
  • Right now I put all my HP's into cover slots. I've got 25. I have 2 of a lot of guys. At some point, we'll stop collecting covers and you will hit maxes on your levels and want alternate builds of some of your guys.