****Jessica Jones (Alias)****

ErikPeter
ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
edited December 2016 in Speculation and Concepts
Jessica Jones (Alias) star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
Alias_23.jpg?1420815399
At Max Level: HP: 13015 Tile Damage: 10/82/64/73/11/11/3.0x npxo

redflag.pngPrivate Investigator 9 redtile.png AP / Passive
Given enough time, no case is a match for Jessica's relentless detective skills. Increase the Strength of up to two friendly Strike tiles by 41, and reveal one enemy Trap tile. (Revealed traps are visible to your team.)

(PASSIVE) At the start of each turn, create 1 Strike tile of Strength 43.
Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Reveals 3 enemy Trap tiles. Level 3: Increases friendly Strike tiles by 60. Level 4: Affects up to 3 friendly Strike tiles. Level 5: Affects up to 5 friendly Strike tiles. Reveals all enemy Trap tiles.
Max Level: Creates a Strength 80 Strike tile at the start of each turn. When fired, increases the Strength of (2/3/5) friendly tiles by 188.
blueflag.png Fly Away 8 bluetile.png AP
Jessica leaps away from a tough situation, becoming airborne (inactive, but immune to damage) for 2 turns. She returns to the battle after a short respite, generating 1 Red and Purple AP.
Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Generates 1 AP in each color (except Team-Up AP). Level 3: Generates 2 AP in each color (except Team-Up AP). Level 4: Generates 3 Red and Purple AP, and 2 AP in each other color (except Team-Up AP). Level 5: Generates 3 AP of each color.

purpleflag.pngHaymaker 11 purpletile.png AP
Jessica strikes with super strength, dealing 1000 damage. If the target enemy has 75% or more Health, they are caught off guard and take 50 extra damage for each Red AP her team has.
Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Deals 1300 damage. Level 3: Deals 1400 damage / 70 damage per Red AP. Level 4: Deals 1400 damage / 120 damage per Red AP. Level 5: Deals 2500 damage / 200 damage per Red AP.
Max Level
    Level 3: Deals 2750 damage / 140 damage per Red AP. Level 4: Deals 2750 damage / 240 damage per Red AP. Level 5: Deals 4960 damage / 400 damage per Red AP.

Comments

• ErikPeter
    Notes
    Thanks to therightwaye for some of the ideas presented here.

It's interesting to try to spec a character from a more adult comic. The MPQniverse has room for every hero (even multiple versions of them), but Jessica's not flashy: besides super strength, she's basically a normal person with the exaggerated problems that come from living in a superheroic world. Many of her definitive traits are emotional and personality traits, not powers; It was a fun challenge to try to express that in the simple format of a 3-power spec.

redflag.pngPrivate Investigator: Jessica relentlessly tracks down her foes, increasing her advantage against them, until she uncovers the biggest secrets, giving her team a huge advantage in the fight. From the beginning I knew I wanted Jessica to have a passive strike ability, to fit with fellow Defenders Luke Cage and Iron Fist. Unlike their strong, singular threats, Jessica creates a weak strike every turn that takes some time to start paying off. But then once she gathers some Red AP, it becomes a very strong tile improvement power.

I like the give/take of a choice between this power, and say, HB's Red. Do I do 6500 NOW, or generate +900 worth of Strikes, which take multiple turns to benefit from and may be destroyed? Still, I feel it's quite strong, as thanks to the passive she should always have some tiles to improve.

Firing PI also reveals traps which I think is something missing from MPQ. That kind of thing is not a strong candidate for a standalone power, but works well as a thematic add-on here. In addition, the passive tile generation will occasionally overwrite traps, as Jessica wisely sidesteps dangerous situations through clever detective work or disguise.

blueflag.pngFly away: Maybe broken. AP generation is pretty hot and this generates a good amount, at the expense of a couple turns. The 2-turn break would be usable to avoid enemy aoes, and might turn out to be more of an advantage than I foresee. But I'm hoping the fact that you can't keep it up and chain multiple activations, and the fact that you miss out on her passive PI tiles when she's airborne, will temper it somewhat.

In the comics, Jessica never quite masters her flying ability, but it's enough to get her out of the occasional jam.

purpleflag.pngHaymaker: This power is thematic because people constantly underestimate Jessica until they see her in action, which lets her get an unexpected hit in. And it's a big hit. At max ranks/level, you could one-shot most 3* characters by saving up some Red AP. (On defense it will be a little less effective, since the AI will spend your Red AP, but that's a good thing for balance.) Saving up AP for bigger benefit is another mini-theme of the Defenders.
  • therightwaye
    therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    I'm a fan of this outline. However, after some consideration I thought the following sounded better.

Red Passive (Investigator) - Jessica Jones removes Enemy tiles and gains AP.
    Level 1 - 1/trap per turn
    Level 2 - 1/trap + gain 1 ap
    Level 3 - 1/trap or other + gain 1 ap
    Level 4 - 2/traps or others + gain 1 ap
    Level 5 - 2/traps or others + gain 2 ap

Blue Attack 14 cost - Flying Attack - Damage and Stun - Grabs opponent and flys them high and pummels
    Level 1 - Stuns JJ and Opponent for 1/turn + Damage after
    Level 2 - Stuns JJ and Opponent for 1/turn + Damage after
    Level 3 - Stuns JJ and Opponent for 1/turn + Damage after
    Level 4 - Stuns JJ and Opponent for 1/turn + Damage after
    Level 5 - Stuns JJ and Opponent for 1/turn + Damage after

Purple Attack 8 cost - Super Strength - Attack + Strike Tile
    Level 1 - 30 Strike Tile + Damage
    Level 1 - 35 Strike Tile + Damage
    Level 1 - 45 Strike Tile + Damage
    Level 1 - 50 Strike Tile + Damage
    Level 1 - 55 Strike Tile + Damage

I don't know what makes the above damages fair. But that's the template I would apply to Jessica Jones.
  • GundamY
    GundamY Posts: 182
    You know, I was hoping that she can synergize well with The Defenders like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. Tell me, if Jessica Jones is in a team for MPQ, what is her primary role? support? tank? fighter?

See, as much as I love having a kickass support character, I would like to know who she can team up with since I'm still learning about power compositions.
  • ErikPeter
    GundamY wrote:
    You know, I was hoping that she can synergize well with The Defenders like Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Daredevil. Tell me, if Jessica Jones is in a team for MPQ, what is her primary role? support? tank? fighter?

See, as much as I love having a kickass support character, I would like to know who she can team up with since I'm still learning about power compositions.
    That's a pretty good question. With my limited knowledge (I've watched the show and read a couple comics where she is a side character) JJ is a lot more grounded than most superheroes. In Overwatch she'd definitely be a flanker--not super hard to take out, but packing a lot of punch and bringing more fight to the team than strictly support.

Thematically she should probably have some sort of drawback or complication, based in her 'lone wolf' instincts. I gave her that fly away ability for that reason; she supports the team (it's maybe a bit too strong considering she's invulnerable for this time) but also kind of goes off and does her own thing. And I think another big part of her character is that (possibly because she seems reluctant to be a hero at times) her enemies underestimate her. That's why I build haymaker like I did--which turned out basically like Drax's red, but more synergistic/reliant on her passive to build up strength first.

So yeah, primarily a damage dealer, but she's a scrapper, not a trained martial artist. She's not the center of attention. And then there's the whole, private investigator thing. Short answer: Damage/utility.
  • ErikPeter
    edited September 2016
    Here's a new spec for JJ that I think would be pretty slick. It's high time for Jessica to be added to MPQ, since she's getting a new title comic as well as a second season of her show. (Updated 9/19)

Jessica Jones (Private Detective) star.pngstar.pngstar.pngstar.png
    Marvels-Jessica-Jones-TV-show-on-Netflix-Comic-Book-Reboot-e1468445490755.jpg
    Level 270: HP: 13015 Tile Damage: 13/85/65/12/11/74/3.0x npxo

blackflag.pngInvestigation
    Jessica tracks down her foes and then springs a trap, gaining the upper hand. (PASSIVE) At the start of each turn, creates a trap that is invisible to your enemies. If an enemy matches the trap, remove all of Jessica's traps and create 1 Purple Strike tile of Strength 43 for each tile removed.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Strike tile Strength increases to 55. Level 3: Strike tile Strength increases to 79. Level 4: Strike tile Strength increases to 99. Level 5: Strike tile Strength increases to 129. Max Level: Creates tiles of Strength
    blueflag.png Low Profile
    (PASSIVE) Jessica knows how to blend in and not draw attention to herself in the crowd. Attacks targeting Jessica deal 10% less damage for each standing teammate she has in the battle.
    (PASSIVE) If you have 12 or more Blue AP when your turn begins, this power becomes Hit 'Em Where It Hurts.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: 15%. Level 3: 20%. Level 4: 30%. Level 5: 40%.
    blueflag.pngHit 'Em Where It Hurts 6 bluetile.png AP
    Jessica has studied her opponents and discovered how to use their own strengths against them. Deals 301 damage (Level 270: 588) and destroys a selected tile (not generating AP), dealing additional damage equal to the total Strength of any enemy Strike, Protect, and Attack tiles in the same row.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Deals 550 damage. (Level 270: 1075) Level 4: Damage is now increased for enemy tiles in the same row
    and column as the selected tile.
    redflag.pngPummel 10 redtile.png AP
    Jessica lets loose with a barrage of 3 super-strength punches, each dealing 201 damage to the target.
    Level Upgrades
      Level 2: Each punch now deals 363 damage. Level 3: 3 punches, dealing 524 damage each. Level 4: 4 punches, dealing 560 damage each. Level 5: 5 punches, dealing 640 damage each.
    Max Level
      Level 3:
    3 punches, dealing 987 damage each.
    Level 4: 4 punches, dealing 1055 damage each.
    Level 5: 5 punches, dealing 1205 damage each.
  • awef
    awef Posts: 78 Match Maker
    Only know about her from watching her shows trailer, but I think it's a good build.
    • The passive, by itself, seems like it would be hit or miss. So maybe a cheap active could add more trap tiles. Actively adding trap tiles, then consuming the trap tiles to create a Strike tile that scales off how many trap tiles you had on the board.
    • Is the damage reduction additive?
    • Obviously synergizes well with her Strike tile(s), but I think 5 multistrike is a bit much for 10 AP. Base damage is good.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter wrote:
    blueflag.pngInvestigation
    Jessica tracks down her foes and then springs a trap, gaining the upper hand. (PASSIVE) At the start of each turn, creates a trap that is invisible to your enemies. If an enemy matches the trap, remove all of Jessica's traps and create 1 Purple Strike tile of Strength 43 for each tile removed.
      Level Upgrades: 55 - 79 - 99 - 129.
      Max Level: Creates tiles of Strength 250.
      purpleflag.png Low Profile
      (PASSIVE) Jessica knows how to blend in and not draw attention to herself in the crowd. Attacks targeting Jessica deal 10% less damage for each standing teammate she has in the battle.
        Level Upgrades: 15% - 20% - 30% - 40%.
        redflag.pngPummel 10 redtile.png AP
        Jessica lets loose with a barrage of 3 super-strength punches, each dealing 201 damage to the target.
          Level Upgrades: 3 x 363 - 3 x 524 - 4 x 560 - 5 x 640.
          Max Level
            Level 3:
          3 punches, dealing 987 damage each.
          Level 4: 4 punches, dealing 1055 damage each.
          Level 5: 5 punches, dealing 1205 damage each.
          (Quoting this here because I just updated the original.)

Yes, the reduction is additive, I figure that's easier for people to immediately grasp (so with two allies out she's taking 80% less from non-aoe attacks). Multiplicative the numbers would be higher and some players would wonder why she's still taking damage at all.

I've been mulling over reworks that change her powers once she's past a certain amount of AP, or something, thematically once she's brought too much attention to herself. Or else just make active purple be a slow, big hit (could be like Dr. Doom's Purple) that disables the reduction part once you use it. There's lots of options. therightwaye suggested a special tile destroying power that also deals additional damage for nearby enemy specials. I kind of like that idea too. So I'll borrow it. Also I switched Blue to Black (to help her tank for Luke Cage) and Purple to Blue (to have an active Blue).

I updated the build above; I like the counterplay when fighting against her. She's going to be tough to damage so you'll save her for later, and then she'll be more likely to come out of hiding and punch you in the vitals a couple times. Hit 'Em Where It Hurts won't be used well by the AI, but it fills a bit of the Doc Ock Manipulation role, or can just be used to set up a cascade like a cheap, low-damage Pinpoint Accuracy.
        • therightwaye
          therightwaye Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
          Season 2 is coming. I wonder if we'll finally see Jessica Jones in the game.
        • ErikPeter
          That'd be cool. Prolly.
        • MissoesRicRose
          MissoesRicRose Posts: 258 Mover and Shaker
          Excelent idea. I hope it is added. I can not stand so many repeated characters.
        • krusherkjc
          krusherkjc Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
          I like it, nice write up.