Are 225 rune packs worth buying?

Options
RubiconX
RubiconX Posts: 40
edited August 2016 in MtGPQ General Discussion
I have 14k runes and I'm wondering if it's worth spending them on the cheap rune packs? I've already bought loads and never really had anything worthwhile. I have a few rare, no mythic and mostly common.

Has anyone got a mythic from these packs? I could buy about 60 packs, but...?!

I already have Nissa (28), Gideon (26), Chandra (17) and Jace (8).

Comments

• DrNno
    DrNno Posts: 18
    Options
    I would keep the runes, and don't bother with the packs. You only get 3 cards, and the chance for rare and mythic seems pretty low. All in all, I prefer to hoard what I have for the moment (Chandra L50 is done), and see what the devs propose for my 10k runes after the next update.
  • I've gotten the vast majority of my mythics and rares from rune packs.

Of course, I have also opened hundreds of them (maybe 200?).

I'd say mythics about a 1% chance and rares about a 3-5% chance.

Overall, much better odds than in MPQ.
  • I blew 9000 runes (i keep 10K just in case) with the 3 packs and got 4 Rare:
    managorger hydra
    outland colossus (love this card)
    jace's sanctum
    orbs of warding

and received 1 Mythic:
    hangarback walker (haven't used this one yet)
  • RubiconX
    Options
    I'm not sure how many I've opened so far. I have a total of 156 cards with 1 mythic (Infinite Obliteration) and 20 rares (15 unique ones).

I've bought 5x Fat Packs. How many cards do we start with?
  • Coppertouret
    Coppertouret Posts: 169 Tile Toppler
    Options
    1.There are new planeswalkers coming at some point.

2. Duplicates will be used for something at some point.

3. Mythics and rares can be obtained at a pretty low rate with the rune standard pack.

These seem to be the only things that come to mind in weighing pros vs cons of purchasing standard packs after leveling all the current planeswalkers.
  • I buy them whenever I'm bored, but I'm sure it's a bad decision. I have gotten two mythics and some rares from them, though.
  • TKC
    TKC Posts: 32
    Options
    I've bought about 30 and have received no mythics, no rares and only a small handful of uncommons.

My luck with packs (rune or crystal) appears to be particularly bad, though, so YMMV.
  • I just used 9K last night and got one rare, new to my inventory, and several uncommon that I don't yet have. Of course, I just earned enough mana 2 nights ago for my 3rd BB and got no mythics and just a few rares, of which I already had in inventory.

My question is this: is there less likelihood to get a rare or mythic because of the fewer cards compared to a 5-card pack? By extension, is that why they say there is a better chance in FPs and BBs, because you're getting more for your mana? Or is there a different algorithm used for each pack-type that determines rare-mythic drop-rate. I think it's the former.
  • durtaur wrote:
    My question is this: is there less likelihood to get a rare or mythic because of the fewer cards compared to a 5-card pack? By extension, is that why they say there is a better chance in FPs and BBs, because you're getting more for your mana? Or is there a different algorithm used for each pack-type that determines rare-mythic drop-rate. I think it's the former.

I assumed it was the latter, but who knows?
  • I occasionally buy one of these when I have won a lot of runes. Yesterday, I actually got a rare!

Mage-ring Responder

Costs 15, 7/7, may not attack. If you match five gems, it may attack that turn, and opponent's first creature takes 7 damage.

I don't think this is terribly useful. The chances of doing a five-gem match are not very high, so your 15 mana goes on a lunk that largely sits there and takes up a space in your battle line. At least with Gideon you can give it Vigilance.

Anyone else got this?
  • durtaur wrote:

There is no question in my mind the drop rate for rares and mythic are increased in the crystal packs. I bought a fat pack with earned crystals last week, and at least one rare dropped in the first 6 packs, usually 2 did and sometimes 3. I didn't get any mythic, but i was pleased nonetheless.

I have pulled a come rares from rune packs, but they are few and far between
  • I occasionally buy one of these when I have won a lot of runes. Yesterday, I actually got a rare!

Mage-ring Responder

Costs 15, 7/7, may not attack. If you match five gems, it may attack that turn, and opponent's first creature takes 7 damage.

I don't think this is terribly useful. The chances of doing a five-gem match are not very high, so your 15 mana goes on a lunk that largely sits there and takes up a space in your battle line. At least with Gideon you can give it Vigilance.

Anyone else got this?
    That card's like the Prism Array of this game.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I could see Mage-Ring Responder becoming more useful if we get spells or planeswalker abilities that let you manipulate the board. We have things that dump multiple gems of one color on the board, but something that lets you place or destroy specific gems would work better. As it stands now, he's a big statue.
  • tanis3303
    tanis3303 Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got a Hangarback Walker from a 225 rune pack. Its a mythic, 8/8 creature that makes a 1/1 flying Thopter whenever you match 3 (!!) and if it dies you get 5 1/1 flyers. So yea, they're probably worth buying icon_e_wink.gif
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Still no mythics from any pack ever.. but loads of rares, 1/2 coming from the daily rewards packs and 1/2 from ones i bought with runes. Nothing from ones i spent gems on.
  • alextfish
    alextfish Posts: 192
    Options
    The luck of the draw is just really variable. I was happy with my first few Fat Packs then I had about 4 in a row where the cards were either all duplicates of ones I already had, or utter rubbish.

But then I just got an awesome Fat Pack with my tenth and final multicolour creature (the RW double strike berserker), a couple more important uncommons I was missing and a mythic. It's just really variable.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got a Mythic (The Great Aurora) from one of the first 225 rune packs I ever opened.

However, in general, I would rather save my points to upgrade my planeswalkers. Even if you open a hundred million packs, you can still only have 10 cards in your deck.

With the next update, they are apparently going to make it possible to go after specific cards, so there will be even less reason to open random packs and more reason to beef up your planeswalkers.
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yes they are.
  • Morphis
    Morphis Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    Options
    shteev wrote:
    Yes they are.
    Do they come in bundle with the time machine? icon_lol.gif
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ahh, the good old days.

If available I would buy 750 of them right now!